Fall weather in Scotland?

Jul 21st, 2001, 01:48 PM
Lin

Fall weather in Scotland?

We'll be going to Scotland sometime in September or October. I'd like to increase our chances of having good weather. Any advice about when to go within those 2 months when it might be less likely to be raining all the time?
(Out of 3 trips to England in last year to see my son, it has rained most of the time. I'm really sick of walking around in the rain and coming back to the U.S. and have everyone tell me "Oh, when we went there, the weather was wonderful!"
Any advice?

Jul 21st, 2001, 01:56 PM
janis

The very week someone suggests as being the "best" will be the week of gale force winds and freak storms. You don't like to hear about others good weather luck - but that is just what it is, luck.

The UK is an Island and the weather is very temperate and VERY changeable. I have had glorious weather in Jan. and frozen in June. That being said, the earlier you can go in the Autumn, the more likely you'l have good weather.

(BUT - what will the weather be in your home town on some specific date in October??? Who knows - you can't predict. The same but more so for Scotland.)

Jul 21st, 2001, 05:22 PM
Danna

Lin... We were in Scotland the first 1/2 of October, count on rain, pack for layering. It's not freezing, just rain. Enjoy!

Jul 24th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Dee

Lin,

Janis is right about the weather being unpredictable. We've had both "good" and "bad" weather during visits at that time of year.

Taking layered clothing, good rain gear and an umbrella is your best bet. I've found a waterproof poncho is a handy lightweight accessory.

You can't predict the weather, and I've found that the rain really enhances the beauty of the Highland scenery, castles, etc, and cloudy weather makes for more even lighting for photos.

Enjoy your trip.

Jul 24th, 2001, 12:29 PM
frank

In general, the earlier the better.