Paris- Lake Como

Old Aug 27th, 2022, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris- Lake Como

We’re thinking about planning a trip to Paris, thru Switzerland, then to Italy (Lake Como?). We have about 8
days with our 2 kids (20,17) the first week of June 2023. Will probably travel by train, maybe rent a car if needed. We’d love to follow someone else’s itinerary and suggestions. We like to be busy, but don’t want to spent too much time waiting for public transportation.
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 08:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors

Eight days is not very long for all that. Have you been to France/Switzerland/Italy before? Does the 8 days include travel days?

If your entire trip is 8 days home to home, that really only gives you 5.5 days free on the ground - and part of that, some or all of you will be dealing with jet lag. Even if the trip is 10 or 11 days total leaving about 8 days for seeing/doing - but every time you change locations it eats up 1/2 to 1 full day so still not much time for parts of three countries.

Old Aug 27th, 2022, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a lot of ground to cover in just 8 days (9 nights or 8 nights?).... You'd lose the better part of a day getting from Paris to (presumably) somewhere in the Swiss Alps, and a half day or more getting from that place in Switzerland to a point on Lake Como. Having a car doesn't always help (in this case I don't this it does), and the cost of a one way rental involving different countries would be very expensive.

Your best bet is to skip Switzerland, fly from Paris to Milan, get to Lake Como either by public trans or rented car and fly home from Milan. You wouldn't need the rental to explore the lake, so you'd be paying for a car that sits parked, but the car would ease the logistics for getting to/from the lake for such a short visit.

Or skip Lake Como and fly home from Zurich or Geneva.
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 11:28 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We use a driver service from Milan MXP to Lake Como.
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 11:42 AM

If one week is all you have, skip Switzerland, spend four nights in Paris, take late or night train to Milan and connecting train up to Como, we loved staying on the lake at Hotel du Lac, super convenient. Taking the train is soooo much more relaxing than flying these days! Fly home from Milan. Go to Switzerland in the early Fall for best weather.
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 12:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In looking at train schedules for next week, overnight trains on the Paris-Como (or Paris-Varenna) route involve several connections, with one 'gap' of hours between trains in the middle of the night. Timetables for June 2023 won't be available until later this year, but I doubt there will be a good overnight option. Going by train during the day would take 7-8 hours. Train fares I'm able to view are very high, at least compared to airfares. So, if I had to pair these two destinations, I'd rather fly. But if it was my trip, I'd stay in France.
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 03:45 PM

Eight days is not enough time to enjoy the route you propose even if that doesn't include travel days from the US. I take it that Paris is a must, and it's a good destination airport. So, you could drop Italy / Lake Come and spend your time in France and Switzerland. Or you could drop Switzerland and fly from Paris to Milan as suggested here.
How does this sound:
Fly to Paris and spend 3 days there.
Train to east France and spend 2 days in Strasbourg or Lyon.
Train to Bern and spend 3 days there (including Interlaken and Lucerne)
Fly home from Zurich
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 10:05 AM

Things would be much easier, if you would stay on Lake Maggiore (Stresa) or Lake Lugano instead of Lake Como.
You could then do something like this:
Days 1-3: Paris
Day 4: Morning in Paris. Paris dp by train 14.16 - Brig (Switzerland) ar 20.02.
Day 5: Day trip to Zermatt - Matternorn Paradise
Day 6: Day trip to Aletsch Glacier or to Berne
Day 7: Brig dp by train 8.44 - Stresa (Lake Maggiore) ar 9.39
Day 8: Stresa and Lake Maggiore
Day 9: Morning shuttle from Stresa to Milan Malpensa airport (1 hr journey) and flight home