Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris - Jan 1 - 4 for 6 (aged 16 - 78) Accomodation ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2019, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All

We’re making a short Paris stop Jan 1 - 3 for my mom and niece to see the City of Lights in speed time. When we went last, we rented an amazing apartment on the Ille de la Cite but don’t see anything now. I’m clueless as to areas that are good versus areas to avoid. Does anyone have any suggestions? We will have a car but happy to park it in a garage if we can’t find parking nearby.

Also, I’ve never been to Paris in the winter ... is anything going to be open? When I say anything, I mean museums and restaurants?

Cheers!!
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 05:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Everything will be open. Most apartments in Paris are illegal, but some do have the city's registration number so ONLY book one that publishes the number. Is there a reason you will ave a car? Are you driving in and back out from somewhere in France?
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 09:52 PM

Oh for heaven's sake - is New York City "open" in January?

A car is absolutely useless in Paris. Why on earth would you have one?

Stay in a hotel if you're only there for a couple of nights. Most apartments are illegal and those that are legal generally rent for a week or more.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

Sadly, yes. We will be coming from Normandy and headed back to the Netherlands. I’m not sure it would make sense to drop it and rent a new one. Thanks for the suggestion on the registration number!!!
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 05:52 AM

Since you are only staying for a few days you might check out the Adagio and Citadines apartment/hotel chains. They have kitchenettes so you can at least have breakfast in the room and have light meals, and you won't have to worry about the units being illegal. Just as an example, looking at the Citadines site they have a property that is pretty well located close to the Gare de Lyon that is a 2 bedroom that can accommodate 6 but if you need more space you can of course rent a couple of units. They say they have a car park-probably paid of course. But you might also be able to put your car into the parking lot at the train station for a little less money:

https://www.citadines.com/en/france/...apartment.html

In general most folks like to be as close to the river as they can and not too much further east than the Gare de Lyon or much further west than the Eiffel Tower. That is a broad statement but will give you come idea as you look at properties. The most popular tourist arrondisements are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 for this reason but there are other neighborhoods that are also great areas. As you narrow down your choices-folks here can give you feedback and opinions about location
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 06:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will you need the car on the way to the Netherlands or can you drop it in Normandy or Paris and take the train?
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 07:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Where in Netherlands? A car is definitely useful in Normandy, but very likely it would be easier to take a train from Paris to Amsterdam or wherever.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 01:36 PM

Just stay near the center for convenience, that's all, just look at a map and see how far you are from the dead center (Ile de la Cite), that's a general guide. Any are will be fine.

I don't know of any city in the US or Europe or Central America that closes museums in winter, that would be rather strange. Nothing is closed just because it's winter.

I'm not sure how much you've traveled to big cities, it's kind of unusual to have a car in them, as you'll be paying for it and paying a lot for parking and you will have no need for it (in fact, negative need). Are you living in Europe and plan to drive to Paris for some unusual reason, is that why you have a car?
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Why a car?

Thanks for the concern about the car ... I’ve worked and lived in major cities in Europe and know what a pain in the rear it is to have a car ... we had one the last time in Paris too. That said, we’ll actuallly see if it makes sense to drop the car at CDG and take the train back to NL (half of us are Dutch but living in the States). This is a great idea!

ill check out the accommodation ideas .. thanks so much!
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 12:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
One of the advantages of traveling to Paris in winter is that the cultural season will be in full swing. You will find all sorts of museum exhibitions, concerts, dance, and other cultural activities available. This is true in many cities.

And if restaurants close, it is more likely to be in the summer, when they go on vacation.
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 12:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would skip the car. And just rent a couple hotel rooms (whatever fits your group mix) in a central area like the 4th, 5th, 6th, maybe 7th.

No car and no apartment will make this a lot easier to figure out in your short planning timeframe.

Yes museums and restaurants are open in the winter-time