Paris Itinerary approval!

Old Sep 4th, 2017, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Itinerary approval!

Hi everyone,

First off, I really appreciate you reading this! I am feeling super overwhelmed with planning our Paris trip, even though I've consulted and studied multiple guidebooks front to back. I put together an itinerary using multiple guidebooks and I just need you guys to tell me if it's too crazy or doable. I've tried to place us in a good spot for sunset most nights. Any help is extremely appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Arriving in Paris via train from Barcelona at 3:30 PM. Airbnb in Marais

Champs elysees Thursday 5-7 PM
Arc de Triomphe Thursday 7-8 PM
Dinner Thursday 8 PM
Night walk back to airbnb past notre dame Thursday 10 PM
historic paris walk (Rick Steves) Friday 8-12 PM
sainte chapelle Friday 8-12 PM
Notre Dame Friday 8-12 PM
explore latin quarter Friday 8-12 PM
musee de cluny Friday 8-12 PM
lunch Friday 12 PM
Break at the airbnb Friday 1:30 PM
palais royal gardens Friday 3-5 PM
jardin des tuileries Friday 3-5 PM
louvre Friday 5 PM
explore marais Saturday 10-1 PM
musee carnavelet Saturday 10-1 PM
lunch Saturday 1 PM
musee orangarie Saturday 2-3
musee d’orsay Saturday 3-4
catacombs Saturday 4-6
saint germain de pres Saturday 4-6
Cimetiere du Montparnasse Saturday 6:30 PM
tour montparnasse fro sunset Saturday 7:30 PM
versailles Sunday All day
Eiffel tower Sunday evening 7 PM
galaries lafayette Monday 9-10
opera garnier Monday 10-11
jardin duluxembourg Monday 11-12
lunch Monday 12-1
sacre couer and montmarte marche aux puce flea market Monday 4-7 PM
cimetiere du pere lachaise Tuesday morning
musee de l’armee Tuesday 2 or 3 hours
musee rodin Tuesday 2-4
hotel des invalides Tuesday 4-5
Rue Cler Walk Tuesday 5-7
bateaux moches Tuesday 8:30 PM
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 07:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I am feeling super overwhelmed
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 08:12 PM

Well, this is certainly structured and detailed and if it's the way you like to roll, you potentially will have seen a great deal. I don't think you've taken into account nearly enough time to get from place to place and time to stand in line, so you may be very frustrated that you don't have as much actual time at some of the museums as you might want

A few comments, you don't mention when you are going but I believe that the musée carnavalet is still closed for rennovation. You could go to the Picasso which is also in the Marais. Your Paris Walk from 8-12 on Friday is not going to give you really any time at the Cluny, Notre Dame or Ste Chapelle but if you aren't satisfied with what you've seen, you can always try to go back.

After the opera garnier on Monday, you go over to Luxembourg Gardens then cross back over to the right bank to go up to Sacre Coeur. That's criss-crossing, again, not too difficult via the metro but much more time-consuming than you realize. Invalides (Napolean's Tomb) and the military museum are in the same complex so you might want to do those together.

Three things I would skip on a first trip (or a 20th trip, but just my preference) are the catacombs, the military museum and probably one of the two cimetieres on your list.

So, since you asked, it is a bit crazy and over-ambitious. You haven't left much time to just watch the world go by from a park bench or a café terrace. But, it's your time and it's what you want to do that matters. Not knowing when your going, I don't know how many daylight hours you're going to have which may make a difference for some of your plans.
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Haha thanks! Yes most of these items are included in the walk! I've itemized them just to make sure we know what things we are on the look out for on our walks. I don't plan to be staring at the itinerary the whole time or anything, but I know that I tend to be a little lazy so I am over-planning so we at least have some goals!

I'm sure much of it will get tossed by the wayside, but I just wanted to know if it is reasonable. There is so much to see and do, I just wanted the itemized lists to make sure we are kept aware of the things we are interested in while we are in those neighborhoods. It isn't meant to be a strict plan. That being said, I did try to plan it as a strict plan that would be reasonably doable.

I am guessing you think this itinerary is overwhelming then?
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 08:15 PM

you're going NOT your going
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Cathinjoetown thank you so much for the great advice. You have addressed a major concern I am having, which is not allowing enough time to sit and watch the world go by! My perfectionist/overachieving personality is constantly at war with my lais·sez-faire (lazy), go where the wind blows me personality- at all times, especially when planning!!!

I feared that once I get there, I will be in complete relaxation mode and think myself insane for planning this itinerary, but I at least need a blueprint so I get SOMETHING accomplished while I am there, right?!
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 08:36 PM

I agree with janisj that you’re overscheduled. In some cases you’ve overestimated the amount of time you’ll need, and in other places, underestimated. Paris is such a beautiful city that was designed for walkers and café life. You will enjoy it more (and remember it better) if you take it more slowly.

For example, the Jardin de Luxumbourg in the 5eme, or the Places des Voges in the Marais or the gardens of the Palais Royale are perfect places to enjoy a picnic lunch. Pick up a sandwich or a baguette and cheese at a boulangerie and take it to a park and people-watch and then discover Paris by walking through the neighborhoods’ side streets. I think you will want to spend more time at the Louvre and the Musee d’Orsay. They both are open one evening a week and they have good restaurants there. Why not visit them at the end of the day – join an English-guided tour and stay for dinner. Here are a few other suggestions: I often take a hop-on, hop-off bus on my first day of visiting a new city to see everything and get a sense of distances. Maybe that would be a good way to get a “wide-angle” view of Paris. In the evenings, enjoy 360 views of the lit city from the rooftop of the Printemps department store. The Musee de l’Homme at the Trocadero has an excellent, stylish restaurant and bar on the back terrace overlooking the Eiffel Tower. It’s a sensational view. Finally, create your sightseeing schedule by arrondissment so you're not wasting time in traffic getting from one place to another. Like any other city, there's traffic to deal with and often wait times (tickets and security) to enter a popular tourist destination.
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Also, I will be in Paris Thursday Sept 14 - Tuesday Sept 19. Such a bummer about the Musee Carnavelet!! That was one that I was looking forward to the most, actually! I liked the idea of going into a time capsule and exploring the history of Paris! Any suggestions for an equally cool substitute? I prefer history/artifacts to art.

Thanks again for all of your help, you guys are really too kind and I can only hope to be as knowledgeable one day to be able to offer advice to proceeding confused souls!
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks stricky! Great advice. I will update you guys with my modified itinerary, (if you care). Do you guys think I should cut out Versailles? I know people say it shouldn't be missed, but gosh! Just the idea of cutting it out makes me breathe a sigh of relief!
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 08:58 PM

Paris is fabulous and I can understand why you want to see everything. But you're going to run yourself ragged trying to do all you have planned. I'll be there for the 10th time in October and am going with my sisters who will all be there for the first time. There are so many things I want to show them but I know I have to pick and choose so not to overwhelm them. Right now I'm thinking Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Seine boat ride and the Louvre with the rest of the time spent wandering neighborhoods and markets. And of course we'll get in some shopping!

As for your plan... Thursday looks doable but involves a lot of walking. I'd take the metro to the Arc de Triumphe and then walk back down the Champs. You can continue on through the Tuileries and across the Pont Neuf bridge to Notre Dame or take the metro at some point.

You can probably do your Friday plan assuming you are just walking by St. Chapelle and the Cluny. The line to go through security at Sainte Chapelle can take an hour. And if you are just walking by, skip it as you really can't even see it from the sidewalk. Notre Dame often has a very long line to enter the cathedral but it moves very quickly, probably no longer than a 15 minute wait. If you plan to climb up to the bell tower, however, plan on another long, slow line.

The best news for Saturday is that the Carnavelet museum is closed for renovations so that frees up some time. I don't think it's possible to accomplish your afternoon plan, sorry. The Orsay warrants a couple hours (plus time in line) and then you have to get over to the catacombs and will likely face another long line.

Sunday looks good, be sure to buy tickets ahead of time for the ET if you plan to go up.

Monday is really rushed and doesn't account for travel time between the sites. Luxembourg gardens are clear across town from your other sites. Maybe go through them when you are in St Germain on Saturday.

On Tuesday, aren't the army museum and Invalides the same thing? For sure they are on the same grounds so don't go to the Rodin in between. Rue Cler will probably take about 15 minutes and you might actually be able to do it on Sunday before the ET.

It sounds like you have done a lot of research to know which sites are of interest - good job! I have a feeling you will love Paris and will return so don't try to do everything on your first trip. Part of the fun is wandering and enjoying time in a sidewalk cafe and just being in Paris!
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 09:01 PM

I didn't go to Versailles until my third trip. Skip it and see it on a future visit.
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 09:02 PM

Great list.
You'll get behind schedule if you need to pee ...
Group them by order of priorities.
At the end of the day decide if you drop them or reintegrate in the planning for next day.

Be prepared to come back.
For example it took me 100 trips and several attempts to see the catacombs. When the line was too long I went elsewhere. Now that I saw it I am glad I did but would not lose sleep if I had missed it.

Skip rue Cler. Nothing special and excentered I discovered it by chance and told myself 'ah that is where all the RS aficionados go'. Why here ?

Is Carnavalet reopened ? It was closed for a long time - check. Great museum.

And the ships aren't ugly ! (Moche : ugly, mouche : fly).
And it is sacré cœur (pronounce ker) and Montmartre.

Have fun !

Ps : We are not all kind or at least not towards everybody but you definitely fall into the category of people who seem nice ! It helps to elicit answers !

(I am soooo rude usually).

You need restaurant recommendations ? (i am tonight at la briciola or something like that - some if the greatest pizzas in paris. In the 9th I think, I dine every week once or twice in paris).
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 09:17 PM

instead of Carnavalet get to Invalides to see the military maquettes.

Other than that: exhausting! Where's the fun of just wandering?
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Lol What hello! I think you are right, I better not drink any water! I think I am not realizing that most of these sites will have queues. That willl eat up a considerable amount of time and I will need to restructure my plan accordingly. Dinner recommendations would be fabulous!

Gracilee your advice is so comforting! My husband has little do to with the planning but really wants to see the catacombs and army museum so I am trying to prioritize those things. I didn't realize how close the museum and invalides are! i will need to look st a map and trace some routes to get an idea of what order makes sense for all this stuff.

I'm still thinking I better go to Versailles. But who knows, once I get there ( and after four days of sightseeing in Barcelona) I might be ready for a slower pace!

I can't thank all of you enough. I am salivating and eating this advice up as much as I will be eating all the delicious food in Europe!! Is that weird to say? Lol!
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 08:56 AM

The army museum is at invalides. Make sure he goes and sees the maquettes

Just drop Versailles this time. You've got enough to see and do in Paris.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 09:28 AM

Oh. My. Goodness. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite as anal as this before, and I've seen a lot!

You do realize, I hope, that this plan is going to fall into tatters before the end of Day 1.

It's so granular and impossibly attainable I'm not even going to attempt to analyze it, except to say for God's sake build in some time for just sitting down at a café.

And I'd forget Versailles. No one HAS to see it, it's opulence gone astray, and it doesn't shed a great light on French history.

I'd also forget the Catacombs - I've never understood why anyone wants to slog a kilometer through a dank, puddly tunnel lined with bones.. And the lines can be horrendous.

Rue Cler is nowhere near as interesting as the Rue Montorgeuil or any number of other "real" markets in Paris.

I wouldn't spend a minute wondering about where to be for a sunset in Paris. A lot of the time you won't even see them.

The Musée de l'Armée is AT Les Invalides.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 08:18 PM

I tried skimming the other responses and don't think I saw this among the many great and helpful comments people have left - but don't forget to build in time for waiting in lines. I thought of this particularly when reading your itinerary for Sainte-Chapelle and Notre Dame, but it applies to other places as well. You only have an hour booked for each and even in February I had to wait a not insignificant amount of time for these sites and can only imagine what it's like during a more populated time.

I'm a huge fan of planning out my day in quite a detailed fashion (so I know when things are open/closed and grouping places by geographical area) but also having the flexibility to call an audible and change things up. I think if you build in a little more of a buffer and have some back-up lists of 'if there's time and I'm around this area, do X', you'll find a good balance of planning and spontaneity. Enjoy
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 07:21 AM

The Champs-Elysees is worth one hour - tops - including both sides of the street.

Buy advance tickets for the Catacombes if you want to see that. Otherwise, you will stand in line for 3 hours or more.

I agree with "wait time" when having to stand in line for most attractions. Give yourself more time, or get the Museum Pass to skip the admission lines. You will still have to go through Security though.

The Carnavalet museum is closed until the end of 2019.
Go to the Cluny or Les Invalides, instead.

Sunsets are rare in Paris - so you'll have to set that dream aside.
Pastries, bread, cheese, and chocolate are all good in Paris. Other than that, the food isn't very good.
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 07:45 AM

where did you eat fuzzbucket? Quick?
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 08:18 AM

I was going to say the best place maybe to see a sunset would be tour Montparnasse, although it may not be glorious. Otherwise, you could maybe take a Seine cruise at that time and see how it goes.

I don't think you should go to both the Orsay and l'Orangerie museums back to back, spending one hour each. I'd drop l'Orangerie.

I also don't think you realize the military museum is in Invalides, I don't know why you want to see Invalides other than for that museum (I myself don't care about viewing Napoleon's casket or whatever is in there), but don't put the Rodin museum in-between.

rue Cler is okay, you are in the area anyway, it's more convenient than a special trip to some other market street.

I don't get why so many people want to go to the catacombs, either. Most who do go are for non-serious reasons that I consider disrespectful to the dead. In fact, the whole thing is disrespectful as far as I'm concerned, but I can see it more for those seriously interested in urban renewal history or the resistance, etc., not because they want a Disneyland spooky attraction, which is what most people do. IF I were you, I"d just cut that out that day, you have plenty else going on to fill the time.

I would not recommend the Picasso instead of Carnavalet as they aren't similar in any way and you are going to so many art galleries/museums already. There are several other good museums in that area that probably won't have lines, either (Picasso will and is very expensive), such as the History of Judaism museum or the Arts et Metier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -