Paris info required

Search

Paris info required

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris info required

We are 2 adults and 2 children of 14 and 13 years. We will be visiting Paris for the first time.
We have booked at Rue des Ecoles in 5th arrondissement.
We will be staying for 4 days/5 nights.
Need some advice for :
1. How to reach Charles de Gaulle airport? - I have read that the cheapest way is to travel by RER B line. Do children need tickets or they travel free?

2. Want to visit Eiffel Tower all the way to the top? What is the ticket to be bought? Is it reachable by foot from where we are staying or should we used metro to reach? Name of metro station?

3. We want to go one day to Versaiiles. Can we club it with some other attraction?

5. Can someone advise us what attractions we can club together. Yes, we would like to go to Louvre but not to any of the other museums. Also, we do not want to go to Disney.

6. Lastly some names of restaurants close by nothing fancy but places that serve good portions meals. Names of some grocery stores close by would help.

Thanks.
SKPKCP10
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 09:11 PM

1. reach CDG? You mean reach Paris from CDG? Taxi/arranged pickup/RER. RER info is at the airport site http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/en/pa...blic-transport. Ok, RER is the cheapest, but it will not bring you to your accommodation. Is it ok? Children 4 yrs and above need ticket. Above 11 yrs pay adult price.
2. Eiffel tower ticket info? They have a web site for this http://www.toureiffel.paris/en/prepa...onditions.html. Reaching Eiffel tower from your accommodation? Reachable by foot? I don't know your criteria for what is reachable by foot. Even if your accommodation is closest part of Rue des Écoles it is still about 2 miles. Look at a map, for example, Google map and turn on "transit".
3. Club Versailles visit with other attractions? Perhaps in Paris after you return, but I am not sure you realize how enormous Versailles is.
6. Good portion meals? I am curious how others answer this one. I didn't think "good portion meals" was the forte of French restaurants.
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 10:24 PM

Greg provided some good basic information and I do think you may benefit from doing some guidebook research for your attraction planning. The guidebooks usually list metro stops as well, and maybe the attraction's website for additional information (such as hours, admission, etc.) as those can change (metro stops usually don't).

Consider purchasing a paper (or tangible, not electronic) map of Paris (just about every bookstore should have one), which will help you plot along routes and plan your attractions. They usually list metro stops on the maps as well.

If you want suggestions for attractions, it would be helpful if you provide more information regarding your interests. And I agree with Greg, Versailles will likely take an entire day, if not for navigating through the crowds in addition to seeing the palace.

Also, when are you going? If for example, the summer may impact your schedules with the popularity with the tourists. And if you go in August, for example, some restaurants may be closed.

"Good portioned meals?" Huh? I'm lost. Europeans typically have smaller-portioned than North American restaurants, but I don't want to assume you're North American to fully gauge my answer.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 02:12 AM

Europeans usually eat smaller portions than Americans but they eat more courses.

Look on the blackboards which are universal outside restaurants, particularly at lunch, and you will see the words "formule" and "plat de jour." A "plat de jour" is a daily special, one plate. A "formule" is a 2 course (main plus appetizer OR dessert) or 3 course (main plus appetizer AND dessert) meal. These are generally a good deal. They sound expensive sometimes, but what you see is what you pay: the price includes all taxes and tip.

Now the hard part. What we call a "menu" is called a "carte". What they call a menu is an alternative for "formule." You may see "Menu €13" or "formule €13". If you ask for the menu, they will be waiting for you to tell them what courses you want.

You can ask for the carte, but the kinds of places we are talking about are very busy at lunch. You should make up your mind what you want from the board outside BEFORE you go in. If you don't know French food terms, you can no doubt find them on the Internet. The waiter will not have time to explain what each dish is and what goes into it.

Drinks: water is free, but you have to ask for a a "carafe d'eau". They might have milk for the kids, but I have never seen it in a cafe. Soft drinks are generally outrageous. People do not drink coffee along with their meals as Americans do in the Midwest, and good luck trying to get any. So have a glass (or small pitcher) of house wine or stick with water.

Every bakery will have sandwiches at lunch, as you will see from the lines out the door. They are usually excellent and a good deal. Though many parks prohibit picnics on the grass, you can find a bench. Many museums have cafeterias where you can point to what you want; some also have fine dining.

You will have a great time!
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 06:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great advice above, if you want a specific try this one http://chezjaafar.fr/en just on a side road. Go for a Meze and a Tagine with extra couscous and you'll barely be able to stand.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 06:03 AM

Just checked the menu and they've stopped the meze
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 06:08 AM

This Lebanese is pretty good (and it has Meze) http://www.aldar.fr/ again very close. It is very much nothing fancy but gives you a feeling of being abroad.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 06:13 AM

I think you are worrying about some things too much, like having to know names of grocery stores, etc. Just look around your hotel when you arrive, you'll find something.

I can name one place with good portion meals, the chain of steak places named Relais d'Entrecote. They give seconds on anything if you want it (meat and French fries, anyway). I really like that place. It's not super cheap, of course, but reasonable for what you get. I go to the one in Montparnasse, but there is also one near St Germain church which would perhaps be closer to that location.

As a word of advice, it would help to actually say where the location is, not just giving a street as many streets in all cities can be very long. If you are at one end of it, a close grocery store won't be close to the other end. Rue des Ecoles is perhaps 10 blocks long (about 800 meters), running E-W from bd St Michel to the university at Jussieu.

I wouldn't combine Versailles with anything major that day, it will take up most of the daytime. If you only want to go to the Louvre and no other museum, the Paris museum pass does include attractions also, you can check it out. It's pretty expensive, though, and the kids will get in free many places, so probably not worth it.

Actually, the pedestrian area near the Seine on rue de la Huchette, etc., has a lot of cheap restaurants that you may find suitable for you family. Kids probably won't mind them and they are definitely casual.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 11:01 AM

With a menu/formule, you can choose an entree and plat (starter and main dish)--if you are still hungry, head out to Amorino for gelato. There are a number of them in Paris.

Note: Entree in France is a starter unlike in USA where it is a main course. The main course in a formula is called the plat.

And take the time before you go to learn a little French. While you will enjoy Paris in any event, a little French goes a long way toward making your visit more fun. You don't need much...just the basics...and learn the customs of greeting people before asking for something, saying please and thank you, and saying au revoir when leaving.

SS
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 01:34 PM

It might take an hour to walk to Eiffel Tower from your neighborhood. I'd jump on the 87 bus as it goes west on Boul St-Germain; the line terminates at Champ de Mars. Alternately, you could take #10 Metro towards Boulogne, get off at La Motte-Picquet stop. Emerge, look around, and there you are.

Possibly by "good portions meals" you don't really mean you just want a lot of food for your money. We found gyros and other mediterranean fast food places in the Latin Quarter, like Maison de Gyros, give you good value.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 01:39 PM

PS: you might find that you enjoy spending that day in Paris more than a day at Versailles.
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 01:46 AM

We've just come home from a trip that included 5 days in Paris with an 11 yr old.
We found the metro very easy to use. You can buy a 3 or 5 day travel card that can be used as often as you like or you can buy books of 10 metro tickets. We used the 3 day option and it was great. You can buy these from ticket booths at the train stations. The metro map is very easy to follow.
We bought tickets to a behind the scenes tour of the Eiffel Tower through Viator. It didn't cost much more than the cost of going up the tower and it enabled us to skip the queue. I highly recommend it. Also, if you want to see the Eiffel from a distance ( or at night when it lights up and sparkles), take the metro to the Trocadero station and view from across the lawn. It's spectacular!
The RER train from CDG will cost you 40 Euro for the 4 of you. You can book a shared shuttle for about 55 that will take you to your door and you won't have to worry about lugging your bags on the train.
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 02:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Chez Papa serves "good portions."

http://www.chez-papa.com/
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 03:31 AM

Kwaussie...

I don't think I ever heard of a 3 or 5 day travel card isold by RATP ..only the 1-week (Mon-Sun) "card" that I have loaded onto my Navigo card.

Is this something new?

SS
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 08:59 AM

Kwaussie is probably referring to the tourist transportation pass, the Paris Visite. It does come in 3 or 5 day versions and RATP sells it.

It would be cheaper to just buy daily transportation all inclusive Mobilis tickets than the Paris Visite, even for 5 days. I think the Paris Visite can actually work out for chlidren as they have reduced rates and there is no reduced rate Navigo (or Mobilis) for tourist children.
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 09:59 AM

But the Paris Visite is overpriced for all the other things it supposedly covers, and you probably don't want to see anyway, particularly in a short visit time!!
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 12:12 PM

A good restuarant, french food :
Pramil Rue du vertbois, 6, 3rd
in the fifth : l'estrapade, very nice.
one of my faves (not just for Kerouac) :
Iperiber rue Montmorency 3rd

Enjoy Paris
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 12:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
In any case, nobody goes hungry in Paris, but we are all taking wild shots in the dark without knowing what you think is a reasonable price for a meal. For some people, it is less than 20€ per person and for others it is 50€.
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 03:19 PM

I don't know what the card was called but it just covered the metro, it was not a Paris Visite. It worked out cheaper for us because there was a reduced rate for our son, and it was so easy to just jump on and off the trains.
Everywhere we ate served 'good' portions. There's food priced to suit all budgets and menus are displayed in the windows.
Old Apr 27th, 2015, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your valuable inputs. We have booked at Hotel Familia.
I am struggling to book Eiffel Tower tickets to the summit but all our dates are unavailable.
If we go and stand in the queues will we be allowed to get in? My kids are very keen to go to the top and they will surely be very disappointed.
Also is there a rate difference between buying tickets online in advance v/s standing in the queue?
Also do you recommend that I buy tickets for Louvre and Versailles online? Is there any discount if the tickets are bought online?
Frankly speaking I am not very familiar with google maps. Can someone recommend the metro / RER station close by, if any.
Also, recommend any local markets nearby.
Kind regards,
SKPKCP11

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -