Reload this Page >

Paris in mid-August. AC or no AC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 03:14 PM
David

Do you need Hotel/Apt. with AC in August?

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Liz Z.

It helps.<BR><BR>Liz

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 03:27 PM
jd

We never found a need. In fact, despite many stays in Paris, I can't recall that it ever occurred to us to want or need a/c. Perhaps it's because the hotels worth staying in, those that are really French, have high ceilings and a window that opens. Also, having a/c in your room increases your discomfort when you leave the room and go out into the heat.<BR>What is more important is to get a room facing the court rather than the street. The streets are noisy 24/7, whereas a room "sur le court" will be quiet and cool. The one exception to that is worth mentioning. Naturally, the court reaches from the RDC all the way to the uppermost floor of the hotel. Sounds that come from the rooms, if loud, can be heard fairly easily. Late one afternoon, we were resting before our next bout out into the city, when a moaning and whining started echoing throught the court, accompanied by a bang-bang-bang sound. That turned out to be a noisy headboard. We were both impressed by the lady's obvious enjoyment.<BR>

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Mary

I would say that you definitely need A/C in August. I was in Paris the last 2 weeks of October last year, and again this May, and used the A/C both times. I probably could have gotten by without it in October, but it was quite hot a few days this last trip, and the A/C was wonderful. Also, for the noise factor, as Paris is a noisy, late-night city. From my experience, the streetside room are nicer, brighter, but noisier, so the closed windows help to sleep. I'm from Miami, but I still want air conditioning in Paris!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Seamus

Yes!<BR>Can you survive without it - probably - but having done it both ways, I'll scrimpt on a dinner or two to afford the AC in the room.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Betsy

I have been to Paris several times, most of those trips in summer. One of my stays was during days of 90 degrees w/90% humidity. It was miserable. Now that was only one time out of 5. The last two trips were in rooms without A/C and I didn't need it. Considering my number to be up I have found a budget room for my upcoming trip that will have A/C (Hotel Turenne). I hope I don't need it, because if Paris is that hot my room may be nice but the last I checked they haven't figured out how to air condition the outside and that's where I plan on being most of the time.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 06:59 AM
why

jd reminds me of my uncle years ago questioning why I wanted AC in my car-remember when it was considered a luxury item? Yes,I want Ac available in my hotel room1The weather in Paris is up and down,the heat,humidity,noise are all gret reasons to have it.Lastly,has anyone noticed that what I consider cool is really warm in Europe-their Ac is definately weaker than ours so enjoy the option of having it rather than not!

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 10:29 AM
elaine

DAvid<BR>since no one can predict the weather in Paris at any time of year, just consider how you would feel about the downside. If you are normally a person who counts on a/c if the temp gets above 80F, or if humidity gets to you, then you will not want to take the chance.<BR><BR>Even on a moderately balmy day or night, you might not want to open the windows due to street noise.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 01:36 PM
xxx

I was in Paris last year in August and YES you need A/C. As a matter of fact the A/C at our hotel broke and we had to sleep with the windows open, this is not a good thing the street noise was terrible. Get the A/C you will be glad for it.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 11:09 PM
DavidK.

I will be in Paris June 30 - July 5. There were two 3* hotels that I was considering , one with A/C and the other without. The difference in price was US$85/day. For the almost $450 difference, I opted for no A/C. I hope the choice turns our alright.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 06:44 AM
David

Thanks everyone. I usually like to be in Europe in the off-season due to smaller crowds and better bargains and prefer cold to hot weather but alas I have to go this summer when the time is available. I decided to stay at Hotel Au Manior St. Germain in superior double with AC for 168 euros.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Bob Brown

I think the best way I can respond is to ask you what you are accustomed to at home? <BR>I live in a house with a central air conditioning unit that I would not do without. <BR>In Paris, I opt for AC because of 2 reasons: 1. It helps the room be more comfortable at night. 2. It enables me to keep the windows shut, and that keep the noise out. As a result of both factors, I sleep better, I am more rested, and I am ready to go and see Paris the next morning!! You will spend a lot just to be in Paris; spending a little more to enjoy your visit seems like a good idea to me. <BR>

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Wendy

David,<BR><BR>I have been to Paris several times in August, and we have always been thankful for the AC. It seems every time we go we're told that the "heat wave" is quite unusual, but we've experienced it at least three or four times that I can remember. Two years ago, Paris was actually hotter than New York! Anyway, opt for the AC if possible. Good luck!