A couple of questions about Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!!My first question is:is it really bad to visit Paris during the first week of july?I can understand that there are disadvantages ,but is it better than not going?(I come from greece,a rather hot country,so high temperatures do not frighten me!)
2nd question:when do summer sales begin in paris?Can you find real sales(40% off for example,in the big department stores?)
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 03:00 AM

Hi, of course it is better than not going at all. I would go. Just my opinion.

This morning, I overheard on a French radio station, it was talking about Sales in France. Sounded like it was starting soon (this week?). It would usually last for 5-6 weeks. I will post again if I hear more.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 04:00 AM

OK, the official periode for summer sales in Paris 2003 is 25 June till 02 August so it has just started today!

Happy shopping!

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 06:49 AM

Hi Sakis. Yes temperatures can be warm in Greece, just like in Georgia, USA, where I live.

I find that air conditioning is a great benefit in Paris in the summer.
Unless you are fortunate to get a hotel room on the back side of a hotel, you may well be bothered by street noise.
Not only is Paris hot, it can also be very humid. The buildings trap heat and radiate it all night, thus keeping building interiors warm.

The a/c unit can be turned on, and you can reduce the humidity, and keep the noise out by closing the windows.
I understand what you said, but in Paris it is not just a question of uncomfortable temperatures, it is also a question of poorly ventilated rooms and humidity. Even when we had a corner room, we had to close the windows because of the frequent rain storms that would have ruined the furniture and soaked the bed. (one bed was next to the window.)

So think of it as overall comfort and not just that you can tough it out heat wise. I slept better and was ready to go the next morning because I was well rested.

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 12:47 PM

I don't know if this helps but I was in Paris in August and it was lovely weather. I had traveled from New York, brought only very summery clothes, and then had to buy a sweatshirt near the Eiffel Tower (now my favorite memento) because I was too cold... A trip to Paris is never a mistake! Go and enjoy. Bon Voyage!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 02:16 PM

Early July is a fine time to visit Paris. You can take all your meals outside, and it is prime time for people-watching (Paris's best activity).

If you have a non-EU passport, you can get easily get an additional 10% off at any of the big department stores. Take your passport to the Welcome desk (before you make your purchases), and they'll give you a discount card for the day.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 06:36 PM

No one can predict the weather...I was in Paris in July a couple of years back and it rained every single day almost every single minute...we still had a great time. Going anywhere anytime is way better than not going IMO.