Reload this Page >

Paris in August??????

Search

Paris in August??????

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:40 AM
DJ

Paris in August??????

I was able to secure a room at the Paris Marriott on the Champs Elysee next year via redemption of Marriott point ---- that's the good news. The bad news is the only availability at this time is mid-August. Although I will continue to seek September as my goal. I was wondering from experienced Paris travellers how travelling in Paris and throughout France is during August, which happens to be their vacation month.<BR><BR>Your feedback is much appreciated.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:05 AM
judy

Returned from Normandy and Paris last week. Had a wonderful time. There were crowds in Normandy, but not terrible. Paris was a delight. I loved being there when it wasn't crowded. A few restaurants and shops were closed, but for the most part everything was open. The city had a nice, relaxed feel to it. It was warm but not hot. Our hotel was air conditioned, but we only turned it on the last night we were there. You may want to do a search about Paris and August. Someone asked this question a few days ago, and there were a number of responses. Bottom line, I would go to Paris in August. It is wonderful.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:20 AM
andi

There are advantages and disadvantages to going in August, as I did three years ago. The plus side - shorter lines at attractions. I really didn't have any trouble finding a place to eat (but I wasn't dining at Michelin starred restaurants) or stores to shop in. But (and for me this was a big but) there was no street life at all. Part of what I enjoy about travel is seeing the natives in their habitat (in the case of Paris, the fashionable French in all their finery) and that was missing. The cafes were empty, as were the streets, until you got the big tourist attractions - tons of people at the Eiffel Tower, accents from all over Europe. Paris any time is wonderful, but if I had my druthers, would avoid August again.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 07:27 AM
John B.

There is an article on this very subject in the curret issue of Bonjour Paris called Parisian-less Paris. You can find it at:<BR>http://www.bparis.com/<BR><BR>The author also has a net web site about all things Paris and France at:<BR>http://www.lindamathieu.com/<BR><BR>For all things Provencal check out my site at:<BR>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/provence<BR><BR>John B.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Boots

I returned yesterday from Paris and agree with the previous posters. Some of my favorite pastry shops, cheese shops, etc., were closed for the month. No "biggie" art exhibits or theatrical performances, but Paris was still a pleasure. If you go often, those things probably won't matter; if this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip, you may want to choose another month. Boots

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 09:22 AM
DJ

topping for Mary

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 09:32 AM
for what it's worth

I've only been to Paris once. It happened to be in August. I LOVED the city.