Search

Paris in August

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris in August

I have an idea but not sure if it's good or bad. I am planning a river cruise next August toward the end of the month that leaves from and returns to Paris. It seems a shame to go all that way and only stay for a week (the length of the cruise). So I'm the thinking of renting an apartment for another week in Paris. I realize August can be difficult for many reasons - but if this is the only time and only way that I can get there, could I still make it worthwhile? I would dearly love to see other parts of France but it seems that attempting to do too much in a short period of time is not a good idea. I really like the idea of just hanging around in Paris for a week and I'm sure will find enough to do. I do wonder if too many things (mostly worried about restaurants!)) will be closed or if there are usually enough choices even if some are closed. Thanks for any thoughts on this rather general question.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 11:19 AM

I think your approach, "good or bad," is too simplistic.

>>> I do wonder if too many things (mostly worried about restaurants!)) will be closed or if there are usually enough choices even if some are closed.

You are now at the same point in time of the month next year. Why don't you look around to see if the closures are relevant to you?
If you ask someone who deal mostly with businesses that don't close in August, you will be told, there is no impact. Without categorically asking if what matters to you are open or not, you will not get useful info.

>>> I would dearly love to see other parts of France but it seems that attempting to do too much in a short period of time is not a good idea.

Doing too much or not is not an inherent characteristic of the destination. It is how you configured the visit. You can huff and puff staying in Paris if you configured your stay that way. You can just as well stay put in one town in Provence.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 11:33 AM

I topped my thread paris in early august.
Yes a lot if restos and shops are closed.
But not in the touristy areas.
I have never or hardly ever been in Paris end of august.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 11:37 AM

You are succumbing to a lot of OLD myths. Paris is not dead at the end of August, when everyone is preparing for the rentrée.

If you are truly "worried" whether certain restaurants or "things" will be closed, write or call and ask them what their vacation/closure schedules will be.

It's not "difficult" in the least to visit Paris at the end of August. In fact, it's one of the best times to get hotel deals.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 12:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Of course you can, and probably should, add some time in Paris. However not >> . . . renting an apartment for another week<<

The vast majority of short term rentals in Paris are illegal and a major enforcement campaign is planned this Fall. So either stay in an apartHotel (like Citadines) or in a hotel.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 12:15 PM

I am in Paris at the end of August. Fabulous, as always. Yes, a number of my favorite food places are on vacation but I am finding new ones to add to the list. Not much on the concert agenda, especially classical and jazz, but I spent the afternoon at the d'Orsey for a retrospective of Cezanne's portaits, very instructive, especially with the collection of his more familiar subjects right at hand.
I cannot imagine a bad time to visit Paris, this said in the comfort of an air-conditioned hotel room with temperatures approaching the high 20s on the centigrade scale. February? Dress right, that's all. Like I have to do in Canada.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 12:16 PM

YOu certainly don't think you won't be able to find a restaurant in August, do you? As long as you aren't real picky and a super-foodie who has to eat at the lastest trendy expensive place mentioned in food blogs, it isn't an issue. There are certainly going to be places to eat.

So the question is how picky are you? I've been there in August and had no problem whatsoever but I'm not picky and don't eat at all those foodie blog places (or expensive ones). I don't think any of the neighborhood places I usually eat were closed, although I did see one or two here and there that were, but I didn't care (or bakeries, there is one about every block where I stay).

If that is the only reason you are hesitating, I'd say don't worry. I myself would not do it for other reasons (heat if you aren't staying in a place with AC, dullness of August with no performing arts, etc), but not restaurant reasons. But if I were there anyway, I might.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 12:17 PM

Yes, sorry, it's d'Orsay. Unfortunately my editor couldn't make the trip....
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 12:39 PM

Your editor I hope would have told you it's the Orsay, not the d'Orsay, in this context, which is the equivalent of saying "an afternoon at the of the Orsay."

It's only d'Orsay when you are referring to the Musée d'.....

Common error, not to worry.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 09:55 PM

Awfully late to be looking for an apartment anywhere in Paris.
Look for an air-conditioned hotel - you might need it.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 10:13 PM

I think this enquiry is for next year. FWIW I was in Paris over the public holiday weekend a couple of weeks ago, and though a fair number of small businesses were closed, I had no problems. All the big shops, most public attractions and plenty of corner cafés and brasseries were in full swing, the parks and river boats were being well used. Paris Plages should still be running while you're there as well.

Put it this way - if you've the chance of going I see no reason why you shouldn't.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 11:31 PM
bvh

A year in advance is not too late to be looking at apartments. Many businesses are closed at some point in August, but so many remain open. If this is the only time you have, I would go for it.
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice; this is a trip for next year so I have time to do some planning. I do have a question about apartments - I use HomeAway in the States with good luck and am considering using in Paris - I was confused about the illegal apartment comment - ?
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 07:46 AM

Basically, the property owner will be required to register for a number tied to his financial information.
This number must be displayed on any website advertising his apartment.

If there is no attempt to register the apartment, it cannot appear on the internet.

HomeAway and other agencies are not responsible for the owner's registration numbers. You should ask the owner directly and consult his calendar.

I would expect the amount of inventory of apartments to dwindle by next year.
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 08:04 AM

Here are two fairly recent articles describing the requirements for those wishing to offer short-term rental of their apartments. It looks like the registration requirement begins December 1st.

https://parispropertygroup.com/blog/...december-2017/

http://www.europe1.fr/societe/decret...atoire-3380222
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 08:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> I use HomeAway in the States with good luck and am considering using in Paris - I was confused about the illegal apartment comment - ?<<

Paris is not the US - and Paris is not 'France'. Short term rentals are legal in most of the country but not in Paris. Just because a flat is listed on Homeaway, vrbo, airbnb or whatever does not make it legal. Those are merely listing sites.

BTW short term rentals are also almost entirely illegal in NYC, most of the Monterey area, Santa Monica, etc.
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 09:24 PM

I believe the period for registration begins in October and ends in December.

If you want or need an apartment, look for Citadines or Adagio.
Both are legal apart'hotels, have kitchens, laundry and maid service.
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 09:25 PM

For next August, you might be able to qualify for discounts in either Citadines or Adagio.
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 09:27 PM

...and you will need air-conditioning if you are used to living with it.
The Citadines at Richard Lenoir has a/c and the Bastille open-air food market is just steps away.
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 01:14 AM
Original Poster

If I decide not to to stay in Paris for the extra week, where could I go that is accessible from Paris by train and spend a few days? Avignon? Lyon? Loire Valley?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -