Is Paris "closed" in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Paris from Aug 28-Sept 7 and have been reading that the weather is hot and sticky and that many things are closed in Aug. Is this true? Will I be ok since most of my trip is actually in Sept?
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:28 AM

You haven't said what you want to do in Paris, so it's difficult to comment on what you might possibly miss. But in general, other than the "hot and sticky" part, Paris is open for business. It would be good to get a hotel with A/C in late August, but even then you might possibly run into a spate of cool weather. I have never found Paris to be hot, but I live in Florida. Good luck.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:31 AM

By the time you get there. most of the August holiday will be over and places will be starting to open up again.

It is impossible to predict weather in Paris, but usually it is pleasant the first week in September. There will likely be some days with rain and some with temps in the 80's, but for the most part, it a nice time of the year to be there.

Enjoy Paris . . Rich
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. My thought is to spend the first 4 nights in Paris doing some of the "touristy" things, and then the last 4 nights in a chateau about 1.5 hours south...I have a friend who rents rooms in this place for $110/night...amazing....

http://www.chateaudupuits.com/

So, I think we should be ok since we will technically be spending only 1/2 the time in Paris. The rest will be spent exploring the outer areas.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Paris has not been closed in August for 20 years, and there are more and more activities for both tourists and Parisians who work in August (such as the "Paris Plage" operation which was a fantastic success last year -- a beach along the banks of the Seine for a month).
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:19 AM
Bootman4U

One note about the advantages/disadvantages of air conditioned establishments...the very time you think you'll have some sort of "mild" weather it won't happen and you'll be burning up in that "charming" hotel room...your vacation will be memorable but for reasons you don't want to recall. Every time I have been in Paris in August, early, middle, late, it was hot...and don't worry about closures...saome of the city inhabitants may be gone but there'll be more than enough to keep you occupied for the short time you are there. Enjoy your trip.