Paris in 2 days - what to do?

Old Jan 21st, 2009, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris in 2 days - what to do?

What do I need to see when in Paris for only 2 days? Thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't "need" to see anything. What you "want" to see depends on your interests, which you haven't told us. Have you read a guide book? Looked at the destinations section on this site? Read any of the trip reports? Why are you going to Paris in the first place??
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 11:47 AM

What are your interests?

Thin
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 11:54 AM

have a look at the Destination guide here for an overview. Without an idea of what you like....I've been 8/9 times and have tons of things I have not done. But I feel no need to go see the Mona Lisa and rather like spending some time each day doing 'nothing'...you may not feel the same

Start with...when and from where do you arrive..how are you leaving? If you are flying in from N.A. on day 1, you're going to lose a chunk of day one getting settled and will have jet lag...if you are flying somewhere day 2, you will lose part of that day on 'leaving duties'.
How much on the gorund time do you have? Where are you staying..there may be some things nearby to see...
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. This is for : thursdaysd

Well what I meant was, what should one see when they only have a few days to spend in such amazing city. I must say your response was quite rude. I am not an idiot. Yes I can buy travel books but I obviously took the time to post on this site to get some recommendations by actual travelers.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

To the rest of the nice repliers, thanks for your suggestions. I will be taking the train in from amsterdam. I am interested in art, fashion, food, etc. I have a limited budget so we can't go to crazy. thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 12:57 PM

If I had only two days in Paris, I would walk by the Eiffel Tower (don't wait in line for the elevator - takes too much time and your time is short); I'd to to the Louvre to see some highlights (Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, Winged Victory -- what the writer Art Buchwald referred to as the "3-minute Louvre"; I'd take a boat ride on the Seine; I'd climb the tower at Notre Dame; if it's a sunny day, I'd go to St. Chappelle to see the stained glass windows; other than that, I'd read the "Destinations" section above and just wander.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 01:36 PM

nm123,

Hopefully I'm not included in the rude

It does help to have a bit more info. Because Paris has so much, it is tough to narrow down the choices without any 'clues'. If you hate museums, the Louvre would be a wasted suggestion.

Dya 1..Notre Dame, St Chapelle, Ile St Louis and the Seine (walks above checking out the bouquinistes, and below street level). This will expose you to the some of the beauty and history of the city. Ile St Louis has some nice shops and restaurants, either for lunch or dinner. The Brasserie de l'ile was a nice place for lunch, near bridge between the two islands. I could see this taking a big chunk of your day.

I might then head over to Boulevard St Germain and walk it. Shops, restaurants, Musee du Moyen Age is a smaller museum of Middle Ages artifacts, but one ot its attractions is that is in a monastery built over ruins of roman baths...and so much more in that area. Have dinner in St Germina area, then walk back to Seine, to the west end of Ile de la Cite, and catch a night cruise of the Seine (Vedettes du Pont Neuf).

If you like shopping, I might do this on day two, Take a Paris Walks tour of the Marais (10AM). Get expsure to area, interesting bits of history and stories. If finishes at Place de Vosges, one of the nicest squares(and oldest) in Paris.
Have lunch at the square (Cafe Hugo was nice last time I was there). After that, shopping in the area (Franc Bourgeois, des Rosiers, St Antoine...). Lots of shops. Dinner in area.

Alternatively, area around the Louvre is quite scenic. Louvre (outside only or with a visit inside..be warned, it is massive), Tuileries Gardens, Place de la Concorde, Champps Elysee, Opera Garnier, Palais Royal gardens, walk along Rue de Rivoli under the arcades, Place Vendome for Ritz Hotel and jewellery emporiums, walk along Faubourg St Honore for shops (high end fashion)...Laduree for a sweet,etc..

MP

Old Jan 21st, 2009, 01:40 PM
ira

Hi nm,

You will find suggestions for short stays if you look up Paris under "Destinations".

Old Jan 21st, 2009, 02:59 PM

Ira, I don't see that, which item do you click on?
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 03:21 PM
yk

http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/f...ure_30004.html
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 12:34 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Depending on which periods of art interest you, you can decide whether you'd rather go to the Louvre, which has art up till the middle of the nineteenth century; the Musee d'Orsay, which takes over from the Louvre and has works leading up to and including the Impressionists and post-Impressionists; or the Pompidou, which has modern and contemporary art.

You can pick one of those museums each day.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 02:59 AM

For shopaholics...seeing the latest fashion...free fashion shows...or just 'window shopping': Galeries Lafayette.

I especially like the beauty/makeup department (for women and men).

I personally could spend a WEEK at this department store...

http://www.galerieslafayette.com/#fr/home.htm

Remember to go to the info counter to get a 10% discount card (showing your non-EU passport). Also, get a tax-free receipt and don't forget to go to the tax-free area in the store to get your merchandise verified and signed. Then when you go to the airport, BEFORE you go through security, go to the tax-free office and get all your tax-free form stamped. I'm sure you know about the VAT, if you are traveling with a non-EU passport (which I presume you are...but I could be wrong).

If any information that I have provided here is incorrect, please post a reply.

Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 06:17 AM

You are now on permanent ignore.

Thin
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:43 AM

Especially liked seeing the Eiffel Tower at night. We saw it from the Trocadero across the river last September. Starting at 9:00pm (or after dark) every hour for 10 minutes the tower sparkles with tiny white lights. The tower was lit with blue lights, a circle of gold stars and with the sparkle lights it was magical.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:58 AM

We just got back from 2.5 days in Paris. If your interests are art and fashion, then get a 2 day Paris Museum Pass for 32 Euros. You may use it to visit: the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Musee Rodin, Musee Picasso, Musee l'Orangerie, and the Decorative Arts Museum. The Decorative Arts Museum has an exhibit on the fashions of Sonia Rykeil that is fascinating.

You may also use the Paris Museum Pass for St. Chapelle and for the Conciergere; both are very close to Notre Dame. The Paris Museum Pass also includes visits to the Arc d'Triomphe. We went after dark to watch the Eiffel Tower sparkle. In January and February, it is dark at 18:00 or 6:00 PM.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Our first visit to Paris was 4 days and that seemed short.

IMO
Take a boat ride on the Seine

Go to the top of the Eiffel Tower(I think at's better at night)

If you like museums, go to the D'Orsay(much more manageable than the Louvre)

Visit Notre Dame and St. Chapelle(only if it's sunny)

Check out I'lle St.Louis shops

Wander the left bank, very picturesque, and many shops

Weather permitting wander Luxembourg Gardens, and check out the street entertainment at Notre Dame and the bridges at night(after 9pm

Sit at the ouside cafes, sip some wine or coffee, and people watch

Enjoy the wonderful restaurants. We truly have never had a bad meal in Paris.

Again this is only my opinion---skip the ChampsE. and the right bank. Save it for next time