Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Yahoo! Tickets bought, hotel booked for 10 nights in Paris in May!

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I'm really excited! After thinking our next trip wouldn't be until next October and hemming and hawing about where to go, (we consisdered China for a minute or two because the dollar is so low against the euro)we decided we couldn't wait until next fall and assume that the dollar is only going to continue to fall so we decided to go this May and chose Paris!

I was there for 6 days a couple of years ago with my daughters who showed me around (they were 18 and 21 at the time and had both been there before)but this time I'm going with DH, who has never been.

We thought about doing two destinations, since we would be flying to Europe anyway and could conceivably take 10-12 days, but after a couple of years of reading this board (addictively, I might add) we decided to just stay in Paris and really sink in.

Last year when we did our first trip to Italy (Rome, Florence, and Venice) while I was glad we saw all three, I could have easily stayed in Roem for 10 days. I know we'll love Paris for 10 nights.

Maybe we'll do a day trip or two to Giverny and/or Versaille, but mostly we'll just be in Paris! I'm so excited and just wanted to share with all of you who have been such an inspiration for me to do independent travel and have offered so much invaluable input on every possible topic!
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 04:27 PM

Hi,
Have a wonderful time. With 10 days in Paris you will really be able to enjoy and relax. My DH and I are going for 4 days in Feb. just to eat and shop. I do not care if I buy anything, I just want to go to the antique stores and cooking supply places and eat fabulous dinners. But 10 days wow!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Yes! 10 full days in Paris. I love the idea of really getting to know our way around and settling in, staying in one hotel (Jeanne d'Arc in the Marais) for the whole time and taking a day trip or two if we feel like it.

We have a lot of eating planned ourselves. The shopping not so much, but people watching, walking and just soaking up atmosphere. Can't wait!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 08:46 AM
tod

plafield - Between now and your departure date it might be worthwhile doing some reading up on this wonderful place we adore. May I suggest three fantastic books by Thirza Vallois called "Around and ABOUT Paris" (Vol.1, 2, & 3) Each goes into tremendous details of the different arrondisements with little maps and suggested walks describing each interesting building etc.
I have come back home and read something about a place I passed or was near to, and never knew that it was so amazing!(history etc.)
Just imagine seeing your hubby's jaw drop when you give him the low-down on a particular place!!
I wish you the happiest of holidays.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 08:52 AM

I'll second the Thirza books, very interesting, you'll find out things that guide books don't cover.

A couple of other things I might consider doing is: slowly building a list of restaurants by arrondissements, based on info find here, guide books, blogs,etc.. Handy to have when you go, end of day, check list, find one nearby.

I'd also start looking at any concerts, art shows,etc..that might be on during that time, and including annual events.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 09:27 AM

classictic.com is one site that lists classical music events (including opera and dance, possibly theater) all over Europe, with calendars, etc.

Always interesting to see what's going on.

Site for the famous Comedie-Francaise
http://www.comedie-francaise.fr/dev/index.php

Site for the Paris Pages, with lots of info. OPen the calendar and click on a date to see what's happening.
http://www.paris.org/
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for these suggestions. I'll see if my library has the books and if not, half.com usually has anything I've ever looked for.

I've been compiling a restaurant list by arridismont for a year now and will continue to hone it all the way up until departure, I'm sure! I'll be running it by the Paris foodies here and on Chowhound.

My husband is a professional musician so we will definitely be looking for music in Paris, particularly jazz and hopefully a classical concert at Notre Dame or St Chappelle. Thanks for those links, Tomassocroccante. Looking forward to starting to plan a loose itinerary.