Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris hotels, have you stayed at the Jeanne d'Arc?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there enouph room in the 82E double for two adults or go for the 96E twin room? Also, should I reserve the 6E breakfast or get something nearby? Thanks.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 02:09 PM

We had the 82-euro double, but we were a couple. I don't know what it would be like with two single beds.

Our room was great, with a nice view, on the 5th floor. Sunny and clean. And what a bargain!

We never ate breakfast at the hotel, preferring to discover cafes in the neighborhood. Enjoy!
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 04:07 PM

I have not but here is a thread regarding hotels in the Marais and the Jeanne d'Arc is mentioned..hope this helps.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34592896
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 05:55 PM

For the second time, my husband and I stayed at the Jeanne d'Arc this past September (4 nights). We had a double room at 82€ on the 5th floor and it was small. However, it was fine for us. We had breakfast at the hotel a few mornings and at a boulangerie called Miss Manon on rue St-Antoine, around the corner.

There is enough room for two adults but not much to spare. It really depends on how much need you to feel comfortable.

Ginny
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:01 AM

Be forewarned: Their beds are on the shorter side. Tall people may have dangling feet!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Betty that's true of most hotels. My 6'4" guy has that problem.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:17 AM

Just back from Paris and this hotel is the hotel most frequently suggested as the budget hotel for the Marais area.

I read poor reviews online though. I think there was a blog connected with this website...think this is the thread.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34700553

A coworker of mine liked this hotel it was booked up for me.

I stayed at Hotel Bellevue et du Chariot. I would not send people there it was in the 3rd and suggested in Fodors hotel directory online. Just telling you before you search elsewhere.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 11:28 AM

For breakfast you can find more variety and better pastries at nearby places, but the Jeanne d'Arc breakfast is OK. If you are dressed and ready to go for the day, head out to neighborhood cafes, but you might like the convenience of having the breakfast delivered to your room. Compared to room service breakfasts in U.S. hotels, that 6E is a great bargain.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:41 AM

Hi CIGALE, aka Mimi! Actually my husband is only 5'10", and his feet were dangling often.

Overall, we were very happy w/ Jeanne d'Arc though.

SARAH: Yes, I was a little concerned about some of the bad reviews, but both my husband and I were VERY SATISFIED with the hotel and LOVED the neighborhood.

If you want luxury and high maintenance, of course you shouldn't stay here. If you like artsy, clean and quirky, you'll LOVE it.

P.S. We went to MISS MANON a few times for breakfast, but YOU CAN DO BETTER. There was one young lady working there who was very rude to all the customers. It was fine though because when we explored around, we found even better places with better coffee and pastries. If you need specifics, I will hunt around for the names/addresses. CHEERS!
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 02:50 AM

There are 2 Jeanne d'Arc hotels in Paris, make sure that yours is indeed the one in the Marais (4th).

Miss Manon's is ok but there is not a place to sit, you purchase your items in a take away fashion. Walk a little further down Rue Saint-Antoine (toward Bastille) to a place called Arsinal (sp?). You can eat at the counter or sit inside or out. Madame speaks very little English but you will not have any problems communicating if you French is not up to par; she's a delightful lady who will make you feel welcome.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 05:29 AM

There is a place to sit at Miss Manon along the large window facing the side street. It's a counter with high stools. Quite comfortable with a great view of rue St-Antoine on the corner.

Ginny
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 06:38 AM

Yes, but rude people ruin the overall experience.

Plenty of NICE Parisians to meet...
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 06:57 AM

Before I started renting apartments in Paris, I stayed at the Jeanne d'Arc every year (sometimes twice per year). It's near the pretty Place Ste. Catherine, and there are some nice cafes in the area. The Basque restaurant on the rue Jarente is very good.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 07:18 AM
aj

We have stayed in the Jeanne d'Arac (Marias area) several times and will return. Nothing fancy although they have remodeled since our first visit. It took them several years to reach the top floor!
The area is WONDERFUL! We try to eat breakfast at Au Bouquet St. Paul(several steps from Miss Manon). They have a full egg,pain,juice and cafe selection if you are looking for that. And yes, the Place St. Catherine is a wonderful place to set and people watach. If you have seen the movie, Bourne Identity there is a very fast chase scene featured in this square. Just down the street is the antique area of St.Paul.http://www.parislemarais.com/en/lemarais/lemarais.php
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 07:56 AM

Hi Ginny, I forgot about the window counter at Miss Manon's, thanks for mentioning it. We didn't use it becasue there were 4 of us and we wanted to sit for awhile at a table.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 10:18 AM

Yes we have stayed in a double which was nice and roomy with a decent bathroom. We did not eat breakfast with the hotel. It is nice, worth the money, and the area is great for good eats and shopping. Go for it.