Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Hotel HELP!

We are down to two hotels in Paris

1) Hotel Verneuil in Saint Germain or

2) Hotel Saint Severin in the Latin Quarter

We were leaning towards Saint Severin, but now confused after reading some of the reviews on the area. Both hotels have great review.

Anyone stayed in either of these? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:54 AM

I haven't stayed in either but assume both are fine if you've checked reviews.

I don't know what you've heard about the area that confuses you. I imagine it's because it is in a very congested tourist area and I'm not crazy about it, either, due to that. However, it will certainly be convenient for sightseeing as well as other things you want to do (eating, etc.). I would mainly pay attention to concerns about room location and noise in that regard, therefore, and if those are okay, I wouldn't be concerned about the area so much in that it is touristy.

Because the other hotel is in an area that I don't like much, and it would be much more inconvenient than the St Severin IMO. As long as the room noise concerns seem okay, even I (who don't like that location) would choose the St Severin over the location of the Vernueil. I don't know if that area is really St Germain, although close, but the issue is it is not near a metro stop. It's near a bunch of unversity buildings and the Orsay Museum and some other institutional buildings (which isn't exactly my idea of a cozy neighborhood, either, even if it isn't the pedestrian warren like near St Severin).

So I'd go with the St Severin myself. However, if you choose the other, it will be okay.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. We were leaning toward St. Severin also. Read a thread that said the area was disgusting....and that worried me.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Christina, what is your location of choice to visit Paris?
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:29 AM

We have stayed 2 or 3 times at Verneuil. It is a lovely hotel and well located, a block from the Seine and 2 blocks from St Germain. The standard rooms can be small so it is worth the extra to get a deluxe room. The staff is very pleasant and

helpful.I remember when we were there I got food poisoning at at a highly recommended restaurant!they brought Cokes to our room without evena sking.Coke is good for preventing dehydration from vomiting. And continued to check on us ...we both had it!...all day. They could not have been more solicitous. \\
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:33 AM

I don't know what Christine is talking about The verneuil is within 5 minutes of 2 metro stops. St Germain and D'Orsay and buses along the Quais and in the o ther direction along the Blvd.!
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:49 AM

I have stayed at the Verneuil a couple of times and like the location very much. A much quieter area than the Latin Quarter to be sure and yet very convenient. The hotel was sold a couple of years ago and the renovation by the new owner looks like it has been done very nicely. Agree about getting a deluxe room as the standard rooms are very small.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:13 AM

Just one more opinion but I also like the area around the Verneuil. Our last Paris apartment rental was near the rue de Bac metro stop and we loved the area. I would stay there again.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 02:24 PM

We will be at the Europe Hotel St Severin on Friday, our first time at this hotel. We have stayed in the 13th and once at Hotel Monge (which has changed hands). At this time of year the noise should not be an issue with the windows closed. When are you going? We know it is a very congested touristy area and are fine with that. A couple of blocks and you can be out of it.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

We will be going in March. I don't mind the noise. Just wouldnt want to be in an area previously referred to as disgusting in one of the threads. Let me know how it goes? Thanks
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 05:33 AM

I stayed at the Verneuil several years ago on a business trip. I loved the hotel and the location is great. The standard rooms are fine for one person but I would opt for a deluxe room for two.

I don't know anything about the St. Severin but agree that the location is not the best.

At this point we have graduated to apartments but if I were going to stay at a hotel, I would definitely choose the Verneuil.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 06:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed in the St. Severin area at Hotel Henry IV Rive Gauche in Sept.'12. I wouldn't call it disgusting, it's just very touristy, filled with cheaper tourist shops, restaurants, and take away food places.

As we usually stay in an apt. on quiet Ile St. Louis this was way beyond our norm but we were only to be there a few days after a more extensive France trip. Our hotel was fine, Hotel Henry IV Rive Gauche (can't comment on St. Severin Hotel,) but the street outside was kind of junky--not disgusting or unsafe, just junky.

OTOH, it was close to the pedestrian streets with so many restaurants, close to the Metro, and best of all close to the river and walking distance to many of the sites.

After many trips to Paris, and staying in many locations, The Verneuil would be too far from the Notre Dame, Ile St. Louis, St. Michel area that we love and like to walk around at night.

Another question--your ages? We are older but still like the vibrant streets near Notre Dame filled with younger people and street entertainment.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

We're in our 40's. Are there any places you would recommend in Ile St. Louis?
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 11:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Here's 3 hotels on Ile St. Louis. We've never stayed in them however as we tend to rent an apt. You can read the reviews.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...de_France.html

This apt. was quite nice, right on Ile St. Louis, and we would rent it again:
http://www.servissimo-paris.com/apar...-paris_EN.html

This was by far our favorite apt. on Ile St. Louis. We've tried to rent it again but somehow it's always full when we want it.
http://www.guestapartment.com/proper.../hibiscus.html

Everyone has different tastes and when it comes to Paris, the opinions are very different from one another. This just happens to be our location after trial and error.

If you want to blow the budget, this hotel we loved on St. Germain. Someday we'll stay there again.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 12:03 PM

Just pointing out that there are at least two hotels in the 5th with similar names --the Parc Saint Severin and the
Europe Saint Severin. I'm booked at the latter
for my Feb. trip.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Yes we are booked in the latter as well. Please let me know what you thought of the area. Thanks!
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 08:37 AM

Nurvid, if you google st severin and video, you can see a couple of tourist videos of the area. I'm at work and can't post the links.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 08:57 AM

I stayed at the Hotel Europe St. Severin 8 or 10 years ago. As many have said, the area is very touristy and busy, but it felt safe and was very convenient for getting around the city, walking distance to many points of interest and close to metro and bus stops. Avoid the restaurants and souvenir shops in the immediate vicinity, but the jazz club Caveau de la Huchette is fun. We enjoyed out stay.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:21 AM

I'm familiar with the area already and the location is very convenient. I'm hoping the hotel Europe Saint-Severin is pleasant.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 01:37 AM

Reporting from Hotel Europe St Severin: the hotel is clean and the desk staff are all very nice and speak English. We booked a superior room for 5 nights. This morning we changed to a deluxe for 2E more and I am MUCH happier. More later...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -