Reload this Page >

Paris Hotel-Final decision time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Jim

I have really enjoyed all the helpful comments and advice I've found on this site. We've done our research, perused the forums and now must make a final hotel decision for our trip to Paris.<BR><BR>Generally, we want to be in the St. Germain/Latin Quarter area. We love to walk. We like the idea of staying in a lively area filled with restaurants, cafes, interesting shops, etc. We want cleanliness, comfort, convenience, a friendly staff and a certain amount of "charm" in our hotel. (Doesn't everyone?)<BR><BR>Here are our final choices--which also happen to be the places where we can secure a reservation. Your comments would be greatly appreciated!<BR><BR>-Odeon (3 rue de l'Odeon) <BR>-Hotel de Notre Dame (20, rue de Sommerard)<BR>-Aviatic (105 rue de Vaugirard)<BR>-Danemark (21 rue Vavin)<BR>-St. Germain des Pres (36, rue Bonaparte)<BR><BR>Thanks so much for taking time to provide an opinion. I know these hotel inquires probably get tiresome for the regulars on this site, but for those of us traveling to Paris for the first time it is very helpful.<BR><BR>Jim

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Lulu

Not the usual suspects, Jim. How did you choose? It might help to know what price range you're looking in. And how far out is the trip? Maybe all the Fodor favorites are booked full.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 10:07 AM
greg gallagher

Don't know about the hotels, but IMO you have picked the right area. Love the Latin quarter/St Germaine area. Please visit Le Petite Zinc. It is a restaraunt behind le Deux Magot onb St Germaine. My wife and I had the most fabulous dinner for around 80 American dollars. This was a five course with wine and more. We stayed at a little hotel off St Germaine and Rue de Bac called Tulip Cayre (think they channged the name to K&K Cayre). We later saw our little Hotel in a Jonny Depp film. We booked our whole trip through Expedia and it worked perfectly. If I can help in other ways please ask.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 11:07 AM
sandra

have to agree great area , but we stay avoid le petite zinc at all costs. it is a tourist trap, yes it is beautiful in it's belle epoque style. We found the service less then adequet and food so-so the souffle was more like scrambled eggs then dessert. Shares same owner as le muniche in the block before, we preferd le muniche. However if it's stastus you are looking for, it's zinc..just like duex magots you can say you ate there

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Christina

I can give you my choices in rough order but they are based on personal things which may be irrelevant to you. I presume you have already picked these on cost and they are all in your budget and all have the amenities you want. For example, you haven't given dates, but if you are going in summer and some of these don't have AC (I know some do), I would thus rule those out to be safe. I would probably choose Hotel de la Tour de Notre Dame (I think that is the one you mean, there are alot of hotels with ND in the name, maybe you should clarify) because I like their rooms the best -- from what I've seen on internet. This is my peculiar thing -- I don't like hotels without bedside reading lamps; the Danemark is a chic hotel in an area I like very much but there are no lamps, only those small wall lamps way up from the bed, so I would not stay there.<BR><BR>For location, I probably like Hotel St-Germain des Pres and HOtel de l'Odeon best, and the former looks rather charming, but again fails the lamp test. Odeon is a mystery to me, could be charming, can't tell from website as there's only one room which I don't like. Aviatic looks pretty nice but I don't like that location much as I said in another post. All of these choices are pretty good, actually, so you can't go too far wrong. All are in convenient areas. So, that's my hotel test -- Hotel ND wins my lamps test, looks very nice, and is a good central location but on a street off the main drag (I stayed on that street once) which is within walking distance to much a tourist wants to do. <BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Paris

Try to post again!! When I was in Paris 2 weeks ago we stayed at Danube. Wonderful!!! I checked out Danemark and Hotel St. Germain Des Pres. St. Germain is much better. Location is great. I was thinking of staying at Aviatic this summer since no a/c at Danube. Hoping someone comments since I have not stayed there. PJ

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Jim

The reading lamp test is an interesting criterion. Never thought of that. I'll certainly take that into consideration.<BR><BR>Also, a little insight into how we assembled this kind of unusual list--We are going to Paris in May. We read an awful lot, checked out all the boards and then found out which of our top choices have rooms available during the dates we'll be in Paris (and within our budget).<BR><BR>I really appreciate the comments so far. I look forward to hearing from others. <BR><BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:20 PM
flo

Aviatic!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Shannon

Oh-my-god, is the Hotel Danemark still there?!? I was there is '73!!!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:32 PM
c

pj<BR>tell me about how you liked the Danube??,I was one of the people that told you that I had been there and liked it!I am glad to hear you were happy,which room did you have? Don't you love that street? Where did you eat, in the neighborhood?<BR>Jim------<BR>The first time I was ever in Paris-a few years ago, we had dinner our first night there at the Le Zinc.Since then we try to eat there each time we visit.<BR>That whole area is on the touristy side, but really,so is much of Paris.The restaurant is beautiful,it has just been completely overhauled,we were there while they were renovating..so missed that years dinner.Forget that there are other tourists , there are also plenty of people from the neighborhood.<BR>If we didn't go to places that other tourists frequent, we would all have a hard time finding somewhere to go!C

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:39 PM
c

PS...sorry, re:hotels<BR>St Germaine des Pres is right down the street from where we usually stay..we pass it all the time.It looks charming, just be sure to stress that you want a courtyard room.It can get noisy around there.They get about 3 stars in the guide books.<BR>The Odeon, some rooms have a/c some don't.In the Irreverant guide to Paris the Odeon gets a decent review.a/c and chrming rooms.<BR>Hope this is of some help in your decision.C

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:13 AM
pj

c- loved Danube!! Severin amd Francois are the best, we were in the apartment. Courtside very quiet, the street is wonderful. We ate in the neighborhood-excellent. <BR>Jim- My final choices are Millesimi or Aviatic. Millesimi is on rue Jacob, great street. I need a triple so that narrows things down. I want a/c in summer. Hopefully someone can give fisthand advice on Aviatic. PJ

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Paris

Anyone???

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Cindy

I would stay in the Marais. Prefer it to any of the other areas. I like the Hotel de la Bretonnerie.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Bill

test