Paris hotel advice -please!

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris hotel advice -please!

Hotel Brighton or Hotel Place de la Place du Louvre? Have you been there?
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 01:35 AM
ira

topping for VA
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 03:45 AM

Until you find some posters who might have been, have you checked reviews on tripadvisor.com?
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Yes - I have read tripadvisor & all the reviews - hoping to get firsthand advice....
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Did you read the actual posts on TripAdvisor by people who had stayed at the hotels? Those really are first-hand reports, although they might not be as recent as you want.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Virginia4: We have stayed at the Hotel Brighton many times. We were there last May. They were renovating the upper floors at that time. We love this hotel for it's great location and incredible views. It is on the Rue de Rivoli across from the Tuileries. To the left is the Louvre and to the right Place de la Concorde and the Champs Elysees. All within a short walking distance through the Tuileries.The Seine is directly in front on the other side of the Tuileries and the Eiffel Tower can be seen from your window.. The Tuileries Metro stop is right across the street. We always book a front room on an upper floor as the view from there is magnificent especially at night when all the buildings and monuments are lit. Angelina'a is on the same block as the hotel. All in all the location is unbeatable!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 03:38 PM

Wag, we are booked at the Brighton for 4 nights in March. It is always nice to see positive reviews of the place where we have reservations. Do you have breakfast at the hotel? If not where is there in the neighborhood for cafe & chocolat? Also do you have any particular favorites for restaurants in the neighborhood. Thanks.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 03:48 PM

AGM, ANGELINA'S is <i>famous</i> for their hot chocolate, pastries etc. on Rue de Rivoli. Enjoy &amp; start dieting now.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 08:02 PM

Wags,

How are the room sizes at the Brighton, and does it have a/c? It sounds very nice.

Virginia,

For a very nice breakfast, go over to the Place du March&eacute; St.-Honor&eacute; and have a seat inside or out at Le Pain Quotidien, a bakery/caf&eacute;. With the continental breakfast comes a basket of assorted breads and croissants, plus a tray of 4 or 5 spreads (chocolate, jam, marmalade), and tea, chocolate, or coffee. This is our favorite place for breakfast in Paris.

Nearby is a small restaurant, L'Absinthe, that you might like. The menu allows you to have 2 or 3 courses for a set amount, with quite a few choices for each course.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 05:13 AM

As I said the rooms were being renovated when we were there so I'm not sure exactly what has been changed. We had rooms that had not been touched which we were grateful for. The front rooms are a good size and some have very large bathrooms. These rooms are very quaint with uneven floors and large old furniture all of which give a feeling of old Paris. There are floor to ceiling french doors which open to a small ledge about 18&quot; wide. You can stand on it and look at the wonderful view. There is no A/C but if it is warm you can get fans from the front desk. We do not take breakfast as it is not included in the room rate. There are so many places around to eat. My advice is to go to the Rue St. Honore behind the hotel. There are many cafe's, bakeries and shops that are more reasonable than the hotel. Eating on the Rue de Rivoli can be very expensive. Even in the Louvre there are places to eat. If you have any more questions I'd be glad to answer them.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 05:22 AM

AGM CapeCod: I don't know where you will be arriving from but the Brighton has an airport pick-up service that we use. They will meet you at the airport with your name on a sign and take you directly to the hotel. In May we paid 21euros each which included luggage. We thought it was well worth it after a long flight from the US.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Wags, Thanks for the information. This time we will be coming to Paris after spending a week in Provence. I can't wait!!!! Thank you all for the advice and thanks to virginia4 for letting me horn in. Virginia, did you decide where you are staying?