Hotel Beaubourg in Paris?

Jan 25th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Hotel Beaubourg in Paris?

Has anyone ever stayed at this hotel in Paris? If so, how was it and how was the location? We will be in Paris for 5 nights and I do not want to get stuck in a terrible place.
Jan 25th, 2006, 08:23 PM

While you're waiting for a response, did you read the reviews on Tripadvisor.com?
Jan 26th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the TripAdvisor site. Most helpful.
Jan 26th, 2006, 09:16 AM

I haven't stayed at the hotel and I see it gets generally good reviews on Trip Advisor but personally I wouldn't want that location - especially if I were going to be out late at night. The Pompidou Center-Les Halles area can be a bit creepy, at least for me (and I'm not generally a wuss about these things), after dark.
Jan 26th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Creepy in what way?
Jan 26th, 2006, 11:01 AM

StCirque, I'd like to hear more about this too. I was under the impression that the creepiness was the case, oh, say, 10 years ago or so, but it's not really creepy nowadays. I don't have much experience in the area; have walked about once or twice in the evenings there and didn't really notice anything one way or the other, but I'm no Paris expert so I appreciate any info.

Especially because I have an imagined quick trip to Paris bubbling away in my brain right now.
Jan 26th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Well, I really don't want to give the impression that you're going to encounter violence, because IMO Paris is a LOT safer than, say, the DC area where I'm from. That said, the Chatelet station always seems to have a lot of thuggy-looking teens and young men around it, and the past two years when I've been around the Pompidou center after dark it seemed there were a lot of roving groups of young men who didn't look too wholesome. Maybe it was just chance - I don't live there, so can only offer my impressions.
Jan 26th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Thank you for clarifying, StCirq. I don't know Paris well enough to know which streets/blocks I like and which I don't. I know I generally like the Marais, but beyond that...

Guess I'll have to visit a few more times to scope things out.

Enjoy your trip, Marshamcc.
Jan 27th, 2006, 05:15 PM

I'm with St Cirq on the Pompidou area--some unsavory types with whom I feel uneasy.

Robyn France
Jan 27th, 2006, 05:35 PM

We stayed at the Beaubourg in 2000. The staff was friendly and the location was good. I did not feel at all unsafe. It is not what you would think of as Les Halles/Chatelet. It is on the edge of the Marais across the street from the back of the Pompidou on a small side street. My complaint was that I think we may have been given the worst room in the place. It was down a back hallway that seemed to be away from the other rooms and it was on a courtyard that was not particularly pretty. The room was tiny. The bathroom was even tinier and even though I am on the small side I just fit into the shower. The room was also on the cold side. We did not have a refrigerator as mentioned in some of the reviews. I should have asked for another room, but it was Christmastime and everything seemed very crowded and busy and frankly my language skills are limited and I felt (probably unnecessarily so)intimidated by the whole thing. The water was piping hot so after a day out in the cold I did squeeze into the shower to warm up. We got used to the room and as I said the location was convenient. The Rambuteau metro was right up the corner. However, after this stay we have always stayed in an apartment in Paris and I think part of that has to do with the tiny, cramped room at the Beaubourg.
Jan 28th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Have a look at:

Hotel Jacques de Molay (3rd)
http://www.hotelmolay.com/
http://www.parisby.com/molay/pages/profile.htm
by Square du Temple - 151-176€ (breakfast included)