Paris Hotel

Old Aug 19th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Hotel

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance for all of your help and I truly appreciate all the insight I learn from reading about all of your wonderful trips. I am taking my wife and mother (I know adventurous right...) to Paris this weekend and was hoping for some hotel advice. Unfortunately we don’t have a very big budget for hotels – ideally under €75. I have a pretty good corporate rate with the Accor hotel chain with the following options:

Mercure Paris Cusset Opera €76/night
Novotel Paris Gare Montparnasse €70/night
Mercure Paris La Defense Parc €54/night
Mercure Paris Porte de Versaille Expo €41/night
Mercure Paris Gare de Lyon €61/night

Ideally we would like to stay in an area with a little “charm” and be close to the sites, but realize that with our budget we will most likely have to stay on the outskirts of town. Taking the Metro downtown won’t be a problem though so we are really open to suggestions. It would be great to be able to walk to different restaurants for dinner if we were too tired to take the train back into the city, but again we are flexible. We are also open to other options if other hotels fit our criteria.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 06:49 PM

Haven't stayed at any of these, but can comment based on location and Tripadvisor review 'headlines'....I suggest you read those reviews carefully and look at the user photos - this should help you make up your own mind. Oh, and plot on a Google map or something.

Mercure Paris Cusset Opera €76/night
- - good location in the 2nd, near Opera & Grand Boulevards, Passages, etc
- - majority of Tripadvisor comments are positive

Novotel Paris Gare Montparnasse €70/night
- - a bit further south of the tourist areas, although Montparnasse itself is interesting and there are very good transportation connections to go where you want
- - odd comment in TA about 'random room searches by security'
- - I believe this is a relatively new or newly refurbished hotel

Mercure Paris La Defense Parc €54/night
- nah, don't spend such a short time outside of Paris

Mercure Paris Porte de Versaille Expo €41/night
- - less than stellar remarks at TA
- - on the busy peripherique highway that runs around Paris

Mercure Paris Gare de Lyon €61/night
- - also a central location, although not sure how the train station proximity is
- - mixed comments at TA, notice the 'green and orange rooms' mention
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 09:28 PM

I would take the Cusset Opera option without a doubt. It's very central. That's great that you are able to get such a good rate. I know the even lower rates you can get at the others are tempting, but I think you'll be happy you chose a location that is walkable to many, many attractions.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:51 AM
ira

HI B,

Many people have reported getting the Meridian Montparnasse through www.priceline.com for about $100, not Euro.

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 09:54 AM

I wouldn't give up those choices, which aren't bad, to pay $100 to stay at the Meridien Montparnasse through Priceline. It would be a possibility, though.

I would also definitely choose the MErcure Paris Cusset OPera. That is a very good location near the old Opera, the Madeleine, bd des Capucines, and has excellent transportation options.

The Gare de Lyon Mercure wouldnt be too bad, I was thinking of staying there recently -- convenient for the RER and train train, in any case, but it might not seem that charming as it is literally attached to the train station (even though there are places one might call charming in nearby neighborhoods several blocks away).

I often stay in Montparnasse but that Novotel is not in an area where I would stay, nor do I think it that convenient for the metro. It's almost right on the train tracks in back of the station, but on the opposite side of them from Montparnasse. I don't think there is even a metro station near there. I'd prefer the Gare de Lyon to that spot.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Looks like I will book the Mercure Paris Cusset Opera unless someone has a better suggestion...

Thanks again and happy travels!
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 09:31 AM

Yep...go for the Opera location since it's very central. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 09:49 AM

I agree with the Opera choice.

The $100 Le Meridien Montparnasse deals on Priceline haven't happened for years.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:00 AM

Do you want a room that sleeps 3 or do you want 2 rooms?
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 11:21 AM

I haven't stayed at that hotel, but have stayed in that general area, (Opera) on Blvd. Hausmann and it's a great area. I think you'll like it.