Paris: Hilton Arc de Triomphe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this on another travel related website; this is just a copy paste.

I'm just back...still tired and trying to take it all in. I was at this hotel from the 22nd forward for six nights on an award stay. Here are some comments and I'd be happy to answer other questions.

1. Location - I'd give it a five or six. The neighborhood is business at best. There is one cafe across the street but it seemed to be closed each time we walked by. A walk to the Arc or Champs Elysees is just far enough to make you consider the metro instead of hoofing it.

2. Interior - I have to admit I was lost for words. It was pretty much Oriental to me and Mrs. Dingo. I don't know if that's the crowd they were going for, but that's not the crowd I saw. Black woods, pearl (fake) inlays in furniture, geisha looking girls in the art work. I really didn't get a warm fuzzy...if you want to know what gives me a warm fuzzy, pop in to the Marriott on the Champs where we spent the last two nights of the trip. I like marble and brass.

3. Room - Not real impressed, but hey it was free afterall. Our 'upgraded' room was on the fifth floor and overlooked an empty lot being used as a dump for construction debris. We could see the tower from our window. The room had a desk, chair, large closet, king bed, shower in tub, sink and toilet. See above for the decor of the rooms. We were comfortable here, but didn't care for the dump out our window.

4. Upgrade (gold status) - Had requested a room upgrade prior and upon arrival. Floors six and seven are the executive floors and apparently are larger, have nicer amenities (see below) and automatic access to the club. Did not receive the upgrade as everything was sold out (hmmm...) though the hotel did not seem that busy.

5. Amenities - Poor in my opinion. Small container of shampoo, lotion and shower gel. No conditioner, no bottled water, no robes, no slippers. The shampoo was weak and was good for about 2 to 2.5 uses before it was spent.

6. Water - Problematic. As reported, they had major water problems. We never had to do without hot water, but we got in the practice of letting it run for 15 minutes before getting in to shower. We did have about 10 minutes of low water pressure. Finally, on the second to last day we noticed water dripping into the lobby and workers at every water pipe in our hallway. Apparently the problems that pushed back the open date have not been rectified.

7. Business center - poor. It isn't any worse than the Marriott, but I don't consider paying 4 euro for 30 minutes (7 for 60) to be a business center. How about free? And how about free printing from the PC?

8. Bar - So so. We were only there one night for one round of drinks. The margarita for Mrs. Dingo was terrible, but no more so than every other place we'd had one.

9. Room Service - Don't know. Our only experience was calling for dessert. I wanted a dessert that they had in the restaurant but wasn't on the room service menu...said they couldn't do it and I understand. Got a tarte tartin (sp?) and bowl of ice cream assuming it was obvious it was for two, but received no ice water, one spoon and one napkin. Was told they had no chocolate sauce for the ice cream.

10. Ice machines - They're there. But they are still wrapped in plastic. I guess given their water problems this is understandable but it would have been nice to have ice on demand.

11. Elevators - Confused. I was on floor five, but one of the elevators always thought it was floor seven. The elevators were slow, the arrows flickered between up and down, closed and opened...in short, needed work.

12. TV - Pretty much worthless. The clock on my TV was constantly 32 minutes off until I turned on the TV at which time it was synched up. No online room charge review and no hotel information.

13. Other Stuff - Still under construction. Lights in our room didn't work but were fixed upon my leaving a note for the maid. Three mornings we were brought awake by hammering or drilling, once right outside our door. It didn't really bother me b/c we needed to get up and going but two of these instances were before 8:00. Another day someone was out in the aforementioned dump outside our window hammering away at 8:00...I did want to sleep in this day.

14. Club - Best part. I asked before and upon arrival for access to the club and got it. This was awesome for breakfast, so so the rest of the day. We ate a lot of chocolate croissaants, cereal and fruit for breakfast. I don't get all the salty meats but did try them...no thanks. Their coffee machine was on the blink so it was regular old coffee most of the days. In the early evening there were some little sandwiches which were pretty tasty, along with again lots of thinly sliced meats that didn't do it for me. Late evening had bottled waters and sodas, Bud and 1664 (yuck and yuck), three choices of wine (including sparkling), hard liquors (no rum!). I poured Johnnie Red most nights which was going for nine euro in the lounge and most bars around town. The staff was very friendly at every turn and the club was at most 33% occupied in the a.m, with several families (and small kids). In the p.m., it was mostly empty.

15. Papers - Good. USA Today and FT in the lobby each morning.

16. Restaurant recommendations - Questionable. The concierge suggested the exact same places outlined in the Where magazine in our room.

17. Access to metro - So so. Courcellas stop for the 2 line (I think) was about three blocks away. Two more stops gets you to CDG by the Arc and access to many more lines. I bought the Carte Orange at the Courcellas stop with no problem.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions, make clarifications or listen to counter points. Overall, I'd stay here again on points but would not pay to stay here assuming it is priced similarly to other hotels with more to offer.

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 09:50 PM

Gee, what a detailed, honest review. Thanks. This is helpful. I guess they have alot to fix up but the decor does not seem great.
I don't think I'd choose this hotel personally.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

I've heard that since we checked out they have had several days of no hot water at all and the only compensation was a heart felt 'sorry.'
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 05:28 AM

Oh, that is not good to hear. Hopefully things will improve.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Any updates on the Hilton Arc?