Paris Guidebook

Apr 9th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Paris Guidebook

We are planning a week in Paris in September. I was last there in 1978, so I feel like a first timer. Any recommendations on a good basic guidebook? I felt overwhelmed when I checked out a bookstore earlier today. Thanks.
Apr 9th, 2006, 01:18 PM

I like to read and jot notes from Rick Steve's guidebooks but I have personally found Paris for Dummy's to be the most useful of the many guidebooks I've purchased and now I don't leave home without it.
Apr 9th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Sorry, Fodor's...

AAA Spiral Guide: Paris

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...990312-1307803
Apr 9th, 2006, 01:31 PM

I would recommend that you have 2.

One comprehensive one e.g. DK Eyewitness guide to do your research & a second smaller one to carry around while you are in Paris.

Make sure that the 2nd one has a good map & a clear metro map that's easy to read. Berlitz do a good fold up city map which we always use on city breaks. Thet're easy to use & fit in a jacket or jeans pocket.
Apr 9th, 2006, 01:58 PM

The latest version of Métro is available at http://nanika.net/metro.

(If you don't know what it is, you owe it to yourself to go and look.)
Apr 9th, 2006, 02:01 PM

The most detailed and useful is the Michelin Green Guide to Paris. It includes suggested walking itineraries, among many other good bits of information.
Apr 9th, 2006, 02:04 PM

I also think a more detailed one and a simple one is good to have. For the small guide I really like DK Top Ten. I have used them in several cities and like the instant format. And they have the Tube/Metro/Vaporetta maps and a (very basic) city map. It is small,light and easy to carry.
Apr 9th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Sorry..vaporetto
Apr 9th, 2006, 02:06 PM

DK Eyewitness for "things" and the Time Out Paris restaurant guide for food.
Apr 9th, 2006, 03:36 PM

Robespierre, after sitting down at the local Barnes & Noble and considering the many different Paris guidebooks I settled on the AAA Spiral Guide. It briefly covers everything that I want it to without trying to pack in too much so that it is cumbersome or heavy. And the spiral binding is really nice. Now I just need to convince myself that I don't also need DK's Paris. I just love looking at all the pictures.
Apr 9th, 2006, 04:25 PM

I love my Michelin Green Guide to Paris.

I also like some of the practical information in my Rick Steves' Paris and the photos in my really old DK Eyewitness Paris.

A real treat was a Zagat Paris that arrived on Christmas morning in my stocking!
Apr 9th, 2006, 04:41 PM

I purchased the AAA spiral guidebook as well for my first trip to Paris in July. I think I have the book memorized by now because I've looked at it so many times! It is easy to follow and well laid out.
Apr 9th, 2006, 04:50 PM

the (british) cadogan guide is entertaining as well as informative. i also use the knopf map guide.
Apr 10th, 2006, 07:07 AM

The tourist office puts out an excellent handbook that lists all the Paris sights, open days/times, address, metro stop, etc. If that is all you order, it's mailed free. It's a nice booklet, about the size of a 'Readers Digest' if you know what that is, and is very lightweight and easily carried in your daybag/purse.
They usually throw in the 2006 France Guide for free, too (so don't ask for it).
www.franceguide.com

Another cool book is the Rough Guides 'Directions' which includes the entire book in .pdf format on a mini-CD.
Apr 10th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Don't forget a map: I like the laminated Streetwise Paris map. It has a street index; it's easily folded; and it's small enough that you can pull it out and consult it without being too obvious.

I second the recommendation of the Eyewitness Guide for research. It helps you discern which things you'd like to visit.

The Rick Steves book is pretty good, especially for practical matters. I like the fact he includes museum plans, and I applaud the extensive discussion of the Louvre's very fine ancient Near Eastern collection (usually ignored except by hardcore fans). He's no art historian, but his info on artworks is fairly solid. His book also has useful info on daytrips out of the city.

I used to use Let's Go in my grad student days, but now I find it too "young" for me (I can afford nicer places to eat and stay now!).