advise on edinburgh

Mar 29th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

advise on edinburgh

HI...Our trip to Thailand was much helped by all the advise that memebers sent me so am hoping that you would do the same for our next trip to Edinburgh.
Can you advise us(My husband and me)of a nice reasonable bed and breakfast?Also since we are going during the easter hols whats teh weather going to be like and what sort of day trips can one make to see some of the talked ab spectacular scenery?
Mar 29th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Hi, i cant recommend a particular B&B, but the Stockbridge area is a great place to stay. It's just 15min walk into town, has cafe's, bars, restaurants & a park. a10min stroll thru the park brings you to the lovely botanic gardens too.
as to the weather, well, its anyone's guess! Its so changeable around this time of year, but definately bring some wet weather gear, & something warm. Having said that, its been a gorgeous ,sunny day today, so you never know.
Are you hiring a car for the day trips? That will make a big difference to where you can go..
Are you interested in the history, castles etc? There are nearby ones , such as linlithgow about 25mins drive from the city centre, & beaches a similar distance too.(&lots of golf courses too, if thats your thing!)
Hope this is useful, its a lovely area whatever the weather, i think.
Mar 29th, 2006, 12:19 PM

On our last trip we stayed at the Ardenlee B and B and it was great. Huge room, big brekkie, great shower,about 15 minutes to Prince Street, etc. I'm sure you will find a nice b and b. Ours was about 75STG a night for the room.
Mar 29th, 2006, 12:46 PM

I stayed a few years ago at a B&B called 17 Abercromby Place (obviously also the address). I really enjoyed it. Very nice, large room, good breakfasts. Just a few blocks and a very short walk to Princes st, the Castle, etc. I was there about 9 years ago, but it seems to still get good comments. It is listed in Fodors, so you can check it out.
Mar 29th, 2006, 12:49 PM

If all goes well with my knee surgery, Edinburgh is my next destination. I've been researching some, and someone recommended The Stuarts in Edinburgh. After reading about them on the internet, I think they will be my first choice. Here are some links for tours which you will find on their website.

TOURS
www.rabbies.com
www.timberbush-tours.co.uk
www.heartofscotlandtours.co.uk
www.grayalinetours.com
www.scotlinetours.co.uk
Mar 30th, 2006, 03:37 AM

When you say the Easter hols, I hope you don't mean this Easter ?!? (The schools break up tomorrow.)

Assuming you don't mean this year, The Castle View guesthouse always seems to get rave reviews here (& so gets booked up long in advance). It is right in the centre of town & couldn't be more convenient. Not suitable if you have difficulties with stairs, though - it starts on something like the 4th floor, with no lift.

Two miles from the city centre, there are 2 B&Bs owned by very nice people I know - 1 Albert Terrace (www.aboutscotland.com/edin/albertterrace.html) and 'Pringle's Ingle' (www.scotland2000.com/pringle/). These are both in Morningside which is a pleasant mainly residential area with good local shops & on a good bus route into town.

Another idea is to look at other areas on main bus routes - there are lots of B&Bs on Glasgow Road/St John's Road/Cortstorphine Road/West Coates (all actually the same road, in ascending order of nearness to the centre), Craigmillar Park/Mayfield Gardens/Minto Street (ditto) and Dalkeith Road.

Also check the tourist board website - www.edinburgh.org.

We've had all sorts of weather in the last week - temperatures from -4C to +16C, sun, rain, snow & wind. Bring layers !

There are various companies which run minibus tours to lochs & mountains, etc. Robbie's Trailblazers (Trailburners ?) seems to get recommended a lot.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 05:04 AM

1/A trip underneath the castle in St Andrews, Fife. It can be a bit of a squeeze so if you are claustrophobic then probably best to pass on this one. John Knox used to live in this castle - also get chance to see the bottle dungeon. St Andrews with its ancient university, its cathedral (we do have a lot of them, don't we?) and the home of golf, the Royal and Ancient is seriously worth a visit. It has one of the best beaches in the world- the west sands- shame about the weather -and one of the best ice cream shops in the world (Jannetta's) apart from being a lovely little town.

2/ Dechmont Law near Livingston, West Lothian. Site of an attempted alien abduction of local forester Bob Taylor in 1979. This is the only UFO site in the world where the local authority have acknowledged what went on there and have erected a plaque accordingly.

3/Anstruther, Fife. Visit the fishing museum, then have the best fish in the world for your lunch. After that drive along the coast to Largo, home of the 'original' Robinson Crusoe. When Daniel Defoe wrote about Robinson Crusoe, he was writing about a real person. His name was Alexander Selkirk and he came from Largo in Fife. Defoe was an English spy up in Scotland in the 1700's and nicked the story. That area of Fife is well worth a visit

4. Go down into the Borders and do a couple of big houses and some scenery. Say Traquair Castle- which has its own brewery and some excellent history. Followed by Mellerstain House and maybe Melrose Abbey where Robert the Bruce's heart is buried. Other variations on this theme include Floors Castle, Abbotsford (home of Sir Walter Scott) Dryburgh Abbey; Hermitage Castle; Neidpath Castle- or there are lots more.

5.Go slightly further west and see New Lanark, a model community built by social philanthropist Robert Owen; and it's near the Falls of Clyde for scenery.

6. Whisper it not in Gath- go to Glasgow for shopping and culture (and you can do it by train)

7.Linlithgow Palace, followed by Bannockburn- battle site, where we beat the English- and Stirling. Linlithgow is one of my favorite castles and can be done in a quick afternoon visit along with St. Michael's Church.

8. Over the Forth Road Bridge to Fife, to Loch Leven castle where Mary Queen of Scots was locked up and escaped from; and Vane Farm Bird Reserve on the other side of the Loch.

9 Golf- pick any one of half a dozen gorgeous courses in superb scenery.

10. Drive eastward along the coast through East Lothian to North Berwick and Dunbar. North Berwick is a great seaside village featuring a beach, Bass Rock, and Tantallon Castle. Dunbar has a great seaside castle ruin. This drive is about 40 miles roundtrip from Edinburgh. The Sea Bird Centre at Aberlady is now a lovely and interesting addition on this route

11. a)Day trips on the train..Perth is a former major route junction for the trains, and you will find lines from there to Edinburgh, Glasgow, via Stirling, Dundee and then Aberdeen, Inverness and all points between.

b) I would suggest a day in Stirling would be a good use of your time. The only problem is, it's a bit spread out, so you might need to use cabs a lot. Great castle; Wallace Monument, Bannockburn; good shopping.

c) Another thought would be Pitlochry then back to Dunkeld (Actually on checking my giude I see that some (not all, so be careful) trains stop at Blair Atholl. On second thoughts miss out Pitlochry which is an overrated tourist trap, and go on to Blair Atholl) Blair Atholl is a planned village and is very pretty in a slightly twee Victorian style, and it houses Blair Castle, home of the Dukes of Atholl and the Atholl Highlanders. V. Impressive in the grand style. I have no idea how you get from the station to the castle but it's only a mile.

On the way back south plan to stop at Dunkeld- station is Birnam, again about a mile from Dunkeld proper.

The Cathedral is special, but so is the square with its National Trust houses. Some very good antique shops (never pay what they are asking)

Birnam is, of course, famous as being the place from which the wood came to Dunsinane in Macbeth. Dunsinane is just north of Perth on the Aberdeen Road.

d).Most of Perth's interest lies in its history- ancient capital of Scotland- and in its place in Scottish literature. Just north of Perth, 2 miles or so, is Scone Palace, worth a visit itself, which was the site where the kings and queens of Scotland were crowned, seated on the Stone of Destiny, (a good fake of) which you will no doubt have seen when you visited Edinburgh castle.

The town's 12th century Church, St John's is worth a visit. It contains the remains of an Earl of Perth who is supposed to have told the town's baillies "If you give me six feet, I'll give you twa Inches"- a reference to the two parks on either side of the Old town, the North and South Inches (from the Gaelic Innis meaning meadow). In addition it is where John Knox preached the destruction of the monasteries at the start of the Scottish reformation

Sir Walter Scott wrote a novel called "The Fair Maid of Perth" and her house and that of Hal o' the Wynd, can both be visited. This will tell you all about Clan Chattan and Clan Kay and the battle they fought (staged?) on the North Inch. Next to Hal o' the Wynd's house is the City Mills which has a restored oatmeal and some nice craft shops. The City Mills Hotel, which I think is now called the Stakis, is another converted Mill, done so the lade can be seen flowing underneath.

If you walk along the Tay, you can see where the houses in the Watergate had their gardens, which led down to the river, where Kate Barlass held off the soldiers come to capture and kill the king.

The town has really good shopping centered around the High Street and Old High Street. On the north edge of the town is the Caithness Glass factory where you can see the glass being made and, of course, buy from the factory shop. Caithness Glass has recently gone into receivership- like Chapter 11- but the shop is still open (June 2004)

There are a lot of nice walks along the river and through the North Inch, through the Norie Millar gardens on the north side of the river, Branklyn Gardens on the North side of the river, Kinnoull hill with its folly, and Buckie Braes and Callerfountain.

Places to eat- Let's Eat is without doubt the best place in town, Patrick’s is a bistro behind the Sherriff Court which is on Tay Street), which is quite good, and Littlejohns, Paco's and and the Filling Station, are all cheap and cheerful.

The Willows tea room in St John's Square is very good for coffee/ tea and cakes and things.

e) Go up the coast as far as Arbroath, which is a traditional fishing town, famous for its "smokies", and its cathedral, which is where the Declaration of Arbroath was signed in 1320. "For so long as a hundred of us remain alive, we will yield in no least way to English dominion" and all that.

Stop (if you want) at Carnoustie a couple of miles down the coast….. smaller and more of a 1920s tourist place, but famous for its golf, which is municipally owned and easy to get to play on.

If you are rash enough to get off the train in Dundee (armpit of the Universe; am I making myself plain?) there's not much of quality to see or do. There is a very good visitor centre (the Discovery Centre) near the station, which interprets Captain Scott's voyages to the Antarctic, and his ship, the Discovery is moored alongside so you can visit. Nearby is the Unicorn, a Dundee Whaler, which is also open to the public. There are people who actually like Dundee but they are few and far between.

Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:39 AM

My father and nephew had an enjoyable stay at the Priestville bed and breakfast in Edinbugh. Clean, good breakfast, close enough to walk to downtown, very helpful staff in a lostdriver's license crisis.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:49 AM

A couple of years ago we stayed at Arden Guest House on Dalkeith Road www.ardenedinburgh.co.uk It was great, excellent breakfasts, private carpark at the rear and a bus stop at the door for the short journey into the city centre.
Apr 4th, 2006, 04:51 AM

My ignorance, Sheila - what's the Gath reference ? Tried a quick google & got "Gath, one of the five royal cities of the Philistines was home to the champion warrior, Goliath." ??
Apr 4th, 2006, 05:07 AM

Caroline:

Whisper it not in Gath. Publish it not in the streets of Askalon. There's someone in Edinburgh unfamiliar with 2 Samuel, 1 19-20, and the habit we old fogeys have of using it to preface an extraordinarily difficult admission.

John Knox would be turning in his grave. Then concluding that litle else could be expected now the monstrous regiment is allowed to preach in the Kirk.
Apr 4th, 2006, 05:11 AM

Thanks for the info, flanner. It's probably the combined handicaps of being female and having had an English education
Apr 4th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Wow, great info. here. Bookmarking for an upcoming trip in July.
Apr 10th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

thank you all so very much for the info-each of u sent in such good tips/info..we are actally going on April 14th so just a few days left and really looking fwrd to it.The only place that was available in our budget-ab 60 pds a night is Straven guest house which is on portobello-it seems quite nice from the pics on the web and the area seems quite nice so hope its a good choice!!
Apr 10th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Did I miss something here? When did flanneruk turn into CotswaldScouser?

All becomes clear!!