Maps of Paris

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Michael

Maps of Paris

Any recommendations where I can get a good map of Paris. Something that I can continuously fold up, put away in my pocket, take out to read, and it won't fall apart after the first day.

I've found a lot of sites with the subway maps. Is there a map of Paris that shows all the bus stops along with bus numbers/directions? I found a great bus map for London that was very helpful in getting from one place to another without taking the underground. Thanks.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 04:21 AM
Gretchen

We use Paris par Arrondisement--a small 3X5 book that has every street in it. You can buy it at any newspaper kiosk in Paris.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Myer

In Paris I found that the best map to actually use when walking the streets and taking the Metro is one of the free ones available in every hotel lobby.

They are both put out by the large department stores (Galerie Lafayette and Aux Printemps). I found one to be a little small (the writing is too small) but the other is great. The one I liked was from Galeries Lafayette.

I fold them and use one side for the streets and the other side for the Metro.

In a few days it gets replaced by a new one from the lobby.

For Rome (in case anybody cares) I found the free map given out by the information kiosks placed in a few locations around Rome to be great).

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Maira

The best map of walkable/metro Paris is Streetwise Paris. Plastic, foldable, readable, detailed, accurate. Available in Barnes & Noble, Daltons, etc.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Gretchen

I would comment that the store maps do not have NEARLY every street. If you are looking for a specific street for a restaurant you may not find it. I think they are really good for getting an orientation of where different parts/sites in Paris are however. And they are far better than nothing.
When we travel to Paris we choose a number of restaurants and places we want to visit. I then go to Maporama and print out a map of the close area and put it in a book to use on the day we are "doing" that.
My husband likes the maps that are in the back of the Eyewitness Guide to Paris.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Ian

Michael

The 'essential' Fodor's Paris CityPack has a great foldout map. My frayed copy has survived 3 trips todate.

Metro stops, RER & all major city sites are easy to find.

(They also host this forum)

See:

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/d...erl?0676901689

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Howard

I found the National Georgraphic Traveler map of Paris to be the best one. I prefer to Streetwise, because it's all on one side, so you don't have to keep flipping back and forth.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Gina

We found Michelin #16, "Paris Atlas par arrondissements," the best for us. It is a little book with each arrondissement on one or two pages, with a great index and it fits in my husband's pocket. It also has a bus, metro and RER maps. It even shows locations or every post office among other useful things

I think we bought it in the B&N bookstore

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 07:27 AM
cccccccccccccc

www.michelin-travel.com

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Christina

I think the Streetwise Paris is very good, also, because it is plastic and folds to a somewhat small size (don't think it will fit in a regular pocket, but perhaps a coat pocket or purse), and it has a lot of stuff marked on it (metro, taxi stands, major sites). However, it is limited in the area it covers -- only the center. If you combine that with one of the free dept store maps, that will probably be suitable for most tourists. I haven't seen the Natl Geographic ones, though. I have several of the small booklet maps called Paris Arrondissements Pratique, Plan de Paris par Arrondissement, etc, which Gretchen is referring to that you can buy from bookstores or newsstands in Paris (there are various publishers and versions). These are good for those who really want detail and all of Paris because they have all arrondisements (some are split between pages). Those may not be best for a complete newcomer because they don't let you visualize a large area or see distances or figure out relationship to major sites.

You won't find a small bus map that is very detailed because they need a lot more detail than metro maps which can easily give you the stops. Bus maps need details on streets, and the Paris par Arrondisements I have do have a very small bus map in them, but it just gives you a broad idea of the lines and where they go, I don't think it even names the streets. You can get a complete bus map from a metro station, but it is very large when opened up and I don't find it that useful myself, for that reason. If you plan to use the bus a lot, there are maps of each individual line you can print out (PDF files) on www.ratp.fr. Those are useful for the lines you expect to use a lot. Other than that, I do have a very good detailed bus map "booklet" (small paperback similar to the Paris par Arrondissement) which I always use in Paris. It is titled "Guide des Autobus Parisiens" by the publisher Editions A. Leconte. I bought it in Paris at a bookstore (probably FNAC or Gibert Jeune) for about US$6, it has a light aqua blue cover and is 4"x8" but fairly thin. It really gives detail on the bus routes, including all stops. That's probably easiest to get in Paris, but you might be able to buy it online from a bookstore that has a lot of foreign or travel books.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Maribel

Michael,
While Streetwise Paris is terrific for walkable Paris, because we now explore outlying arrondissements, we find it limiting. As first time visitors we found it very helpful. If you're not venturing too far, it will serve you very well. It sure won't fall apart and weighs nothing.

Now, like Gina, we find the little orange pocket sized book, Michelin's #16 "Paris Atlas par Arrondissements-atlas de poche", the best for our use. Depends on your needs.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 08:16 AM
xxx

Buy a map of Paris and then make photocopies of the sections you want. That way you can fold, spindle, or mutilate the copies while leaving the original intact. You can also "customize" the photocopies with colored markers, highlighting sites, streets, etc. Highlighting them in this fashion makes it much easy to quickly find them on the map.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 09:54 AM
paul

once you are in Paris, each bus stop shelter whould have a map showing stops and directions for all the lines that stop there. i found that very helpful.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Michael

Thanks everyone. You've given me some great choices and ideas. I like the photocopy one too, xxx. I'm off to B&N to snoop around.

What a great forum, and nice people to boot!!!

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 09:58 AM
xxx

Well, Michael, if we're such nice people, then why do you want to boot us?

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 11:03 AM
xxx

Good one, my fellow xxx!

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Randy

I also recommend the photocopy idea. I have a good, detailed, Paris Michelin map that I photo copy in three or four sections. It is a lot easier to look at an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper on a windy street corner than folding out the large map. Make several copies in case you loose one of if it gets to tattered. Just take the maps with you that you will be in on a given day. They fold up into really small packages and fit easily in your pocket. You can also mark them with a highlighter.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Lucy

I also recomemnd the streetwise maps - I've used them now for both Manhattan & Paris & will never buy anything else in future - fold up VERY easily & neatly time after time & with great detail.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 02:53 PM
Jim Kalinowski

Michael,
I used a Michelin map - Paris, Atlas par arrondissements. It was great - small enough to fit in your back pocket and very sturdy. It is spiral bound and has a cover heavier than the standard paperback. It has a separate page for each arrondissement so it is very detailed but small enough to hold in your hand (one-handed) while walking. You should be able to find it at a Barnes and Noble or Borders. The map has all the metro stops marked on it and has a section for buses. But the metro is great and easiy to use. Have fun!

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 05:29 PM
Ron

The laminated map by B&B City Streets is a little larger than Streetwise but much easier to read.

For a more comprehensive map, try The Paris Mapguide by Michael Middleditch, available from Amazon.