Paris for 15th Anniversary

Aug 27th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Paris for 15th Anniversary

My husband and I will be celebrating our 15th anniversary in Paris in Oct.(our 2nd visit). First time we visited the usual places but this time we're interested in special places, romantic places which we may not find on our own. Any suggestions? And for a very special dinner? We're not "foodies" by nature but would like a special treat.

Thanks,
Nancy
Aug 27th, 2003, 08:04 PM
rex

Take a short trip out of the city to Chateau d'Esclimont for dinner or an overnight. Enjoy how the top 1% live.

http://www.slh.com/france/st_symphor...el_stsdes.html

Best wishes,

Rex
Aug 28th, 2003, 05:17 AM

For a extraordinary view in a surprenant
cadre in Paris, try "le Georges", the
restaurant of Centre Georges Pompidou.
They have 2 services on evening 8 and 10
food is excellent, not too gastronomic and prices are as you want them to be...
To reserve you have to phone to the museum Centre Georges Pompidou and ask for the restaurant : they will connect you...
On the evening you'll reach the restaurant via the elevators who are on the left side when regarding the centre from the "plaza"...
With the scintillating Eiffel tower and all the monuments you will have a great experience...
For romantic walks, try to beginn in the different parks(luxembour, Bagatelles,...) and to walk inb the quarter...
There is also the Marmottant museum(Monet's painting)or for a good experience : walk all the rue du faubourg saint Honoré and thereafter rue saint Honoré : a lot of galleries to
begin, a lot of fashion shops in the middle and some small shops in the end, ending at "les halles".
Also, the muséé Rodin(rue de varennes) and all the quarter(Invalides, Champ de mars) by the small streets...
In this last quarter, la fontaine de Mars is an excellent french bistrot
and across the street from musée Rodin
L'Arpège(A.Passard Chief) is certainly one of the 3 best restaurants in France
but not very cheap...(he has a lunch menu prix fixe which is excellent with some of his best specialities at 150 €
I know it's expensive but you'll never
eat like that and for a 15th. anniversary perhaps it can be an occasion.
Best wishes.
Erik ([email protected])
Aug 28th, 2003, 06:24 AM
ira

Tres formidable, rex.
Aug 28th, 2003, 06:38 AM

The restaurant in the Pompidou Center that monpetit mentions was shown in the current movie "Le Divorce". Looks wonderful.

If you haven't been to Place des Vosges, you should go for a drink & sit under the arcade.
Aug 28th, 2003, 09:54 AM

If you're looking for "old-fashioned" romantic, consider the Grand Vefour restaurant, adjacent to the garden of the Palais Royal on the right bank.

The Grand Vefour is one of the gorgeous, not-from-this-century places where the rooms have high ceilings, the tables have big padded chairs and plenty of room, you're served by an army of waiters, and the food tends to be more traditional than nouvelle. In my visits there, I've found the staff to be extremely welcoming and helpful (compared to indifferent and/or stuffy at some other high-end places), and they're well-accustomed to diners who don't speak much or any French.

Le Grand Vefour might not be the place that leading-edge foodies head for, but it strikes me as a pretty good choice for a romantic anniversary dinner.
Aug 28th, 2003, 11:38 AM

Le Grand Vefour is, I agree, wonderful.
Aug 28th, 2003, 11:39 AM

I meant to add, if you want lesser food than the G V but a fabulous memorable view, there's the Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower, but they might be already fully booked for Oct.
Aug 28th, 2003, 12:08 PM

I suggest you the Pre Catelan in the Bois de Bologne, very romantic , beautiful and excellent food. In my opinion, much better than Lucas Carton or Le Grand Vefour.My favorite restaurant in Paris.

Search this Thread