Reload this Page >

Paris Fashion Report

Search

Paris Fashion Report

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Lisa

Paris Fashion Report

Just returned from one week in Paris. I would like to put to rest the question about what to wear. I struggled with this the same as many other Fodor's folks have. I saw every possible type of clothing during my trip. Jeans were everywhere, every color and quality. Sneakers/running shoes, or any type of athletic shoe was also very common. Since it was warm/hot during the day, there were plenty of men and women in shorts. Even at night I found most people were not very dressed up. The only exception was the night we went to the Lido, there were nicely dressed people there. Unless you are planning to hang out at the Ritz, I would not worry about what to wear. Be comfortable and enjoy your trip.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:47 AM
kim

Hi Lisa thanks for your report. When I went to Paris I thought everyone would be wearing Haute Couture! No seriously I found the same to be true. The key thing that I saw was how the women accessorized that was different. I totally agree have fun and be comfortable.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Eric

I agree, wear whats comfortable. The only thing I might not wear is shorts, but hey if you like to wear shorts then go for it.<BR><BR>Don't let the fasion police on here tell you different. Paris is like any big city, you will see all different combinations of clothing.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 10:34 AM
richardab

Right on Lisa!<BR><BR>You are 100% correct about what people are wearing in Paris!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Jana

Kim, could you describe what you noticed about how the women in Paris accessorized? What was so different? Thanks.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:10 AM
kim

Hi Jana well for me personally I noticed that they tie their scarves in more interesting ways. The way they wear their hair if it is long they may braid it in a fancy way. The colors of their purses and shoes. Americans we tend to play it more safe on color I think. The shoes that they would pair with an outfit. I could go on and on....

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Jennifer

Hi Kim,<BR><BR>With all due respect, Paris is a rather large city! It would be difficult to say what "all" of Paris is wearing. Touristy areas will not be quite the same as other areas. I've been to Paris multiple times and have not ever witnessed the sneakers and shorts that you have. I agree that we should each wear what is comfortable, but I also think it's important to know that "comfortable" doesn't have to mean sloppy!<BR><BR>My own personal opinion is that those who take care to dress nicely (but still comfortably!) simply project a more positive image about themselves.<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:19 AM
kim

With all due respect Jennifer please reread my post.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Jennifer

Sorry Kim (I thought Lisa wrote the post!). I sincerely didn't mean to offend.<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Jennifer

Whoops, I meant to address my original post to Lisa!<BR><BR>Geez.....sorry, Kim.<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:33 AM
kim

No offense taken..but I do agree different areas you will see different dress. I have a friend in the 16th who is very BCBG and wears beautiful clothing. She comes from a very wealthy family that is conservative and so she always looks very well groomed and impeccable. Believe me I felt like a maid compared to her!! HEHE

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:48 AM
John G

Paris is a city like any other city in the world in the respect that people are living daily lives there. Some people are in office attire, some people are in athletic clothing, some people are on holiday, some people have just come from the dentist, etc.. No one in any city is dressed to the nines every hour of the day. How ridiculous would it be to go jogging in heels and pearls???<BR><BR>I think one should dress for the situation you are in. If you are sightseeing, dress for it. This means comfortable shoes and clothing. I think you would look like a fool if you were standing in line at the ferris wheel on Place Concorde in a Blackglama mink and an evening gown at two in the afternoon.<BR><BR>Now, you wouldn't wear sneakers and a windbreaker to dinner at Violon d'Ingres, would you.<BR><BR>Dressing well means having common sense.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Janice

Sorry thingorgeous, the ferris wheel is gone.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 12:25 PM

[email protected]

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 01:03 PM
kris

But I do hope that those awful pointy-toed women's shoes in all the stores in Paris, and on some of the women, don't become popular in this country. I think they're dreadful.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:28 PM
jeanne

Have you looked at the shoes in US department stores in the last couple of weeks? They've brought out their fall footwear (seems early doesn't it?) and--- you guessed it--- looooong pointy toes!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:02 PM
notta

I'll get out my pencil sharpener right now and start sharpening the tips of my feet! Don't want anyone thinking I don't have a positive self-image!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 03:07 AM
Huh?

KIM: Please take a moment and tell us, what is BCBG?

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 03:25 AM
Say

John G<BR><BR>You're having a tough time lately aren't you. You said on a recent post about Harry's in Venice, "The worst thing about Harry's is that they don't have a dress code." I and several others responded by telling you we weren't allowed in Harry's because we had on shorts. Now you think the ferris wheel on Place Concorde is still there. Have you actually travelled to these places are do you just write about things you read about?

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 03:29 AM
xIam

The ferris wheel was there a few months ago..maybe JohnG hasn't been back since the fall! Picky picky! It was an example

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -