Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris - Fashion & Designers focus-ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I are traveling to Paris in December.
We want to do so many things of course, but of particular interest would be to see the "Fashion/Design" side of things - it's something we can do since the spouses aren't along on this trip. This would bore them to death!

We're looking for recommendations on places to see and things to do, within a budget as much as possible.

Are either of the following worth seeing - "Fashion & Textile Museum" and the "Galeria Museum" (fashion & costumes I believe)? I think they are free.

And where are the best areas to get a feel for fashion and designers in Paris? Any kind of tours for this??

I saw some postings about 2nd hand shops. Are there also consignment shops like in the U.S.? (Much as we like to look at all the fashions/designs/designers, we can't really afford any of them).

Thank you for your help.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 09:47 AM

Hi Loopy-

I'm not that knowledgeable about fashion, but I have been to the Fashion and Textile museum at the Louvre (one day when my hubby was sick in bed, so I got to go wherever I wanted.) He would have hated it, but I thought it was really interesting.

There was a retrospective of the designs of Viktor and Rolf when I was there, which was very cool, and an exhibit of AirFrance flight attendant uniforms and advertising through the years- fascinating! It only takes a couple of hours at the most to go through this museum, so it can easily be combined with other sightseeing.

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 09:58 AM

See the Balenciaga exhibit at the new Decorative Arts Museum. Not free. Expect a line. I spent most of a day in the Decorative Arts part; the fashion is adjacent and takes the same admission ticket. Part of the Louvre.

Do a search for info on consignment shops..there have been many postings. Not sure how the difference between second-hand and consignment would affect you; prices are not cheap for used designer goods in any case. Try to specify what kinds of designers you are interested in..couture big names? What kind of fashion...??
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 09:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
http://parisdailyphoto.blogspot.com/...on-museum.html

This fashion museum was closed the day I stopped by but I had a picnic in it's garden.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:30 PM

I think they are both worth seeing. I have a degree in fashion and textiles, however, so always am a little more interested in some of those things than a layperson would be (I am interested in some historical costuming construction and weaves--my dream job was doing historical costumes for films and I had a friend who actually had that job, I was so jealous). I just thought the Lyon Textile museum was fantastic, if you are getting down there -- they had an actual pourpoint from Charles of Blois from the 14th Century in there, and I think that is one of only a couple extant in the world!

Anyway, you can see I get into this stuff historically, although I don't care much about current designers. The Balenciaga exhibit wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be, actually. I just wasn't wowed. It is definitely not free (entry is 8 euro now, according to my Pariscope). I actually like the private Galliera (Mode) museum better. HOwever, I think the other ticket can be used for the decorative arts museum, also, so if you do want to go to that, it makes the ticket price less.

the Galliera museum is private and shows things from a private collection, and I did see a special exhibition that was especially interesting to me. I think that place is ONLY open for special exhibits, though, they don't have a "permanent collection". That one isn't free either, I think it is 7 euro. I think it is a city of Paris museum which are free entry, but that one isn't because it is solely a special exhibit.

If I had to choose one, I'd go to the Galliera, if it were open and was an exhibit I was interested in. I don't think it is open now, though, and won't be in December, either. I think it is closed until the next exhibition in 2007 (the last one closed july 30th and they only have about two a year).

They have some consignment shops over in the 16th, I know. Just get one of those shopping guidebooks to Paris, they should name them. There are some tours of this, I have seen some guides names who do this, but that is hiring a private guide and was not cheap, as I recall.

I did find a website listing a couple small group fashion tours, and they aren't too bad in price
http://www.gotoparis.net/paris_tours.htm#giv

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:32 PM

sorry, I realize my info on the Galliera is a little confusing -- the museum was a private home and collection, but does now belong to the City of Paris, I believe.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:41 PM

It's been open to the public quite awhile:

Musée Galliera - Musée de la Mode de la Ville de Paris
Museum

Description
It is at the 19th-century Palais de la duchesse de Galliera that the museum of fashion, inaugurated in 1977, brings the history of fashion and costume to life. Prestigious temporary exhibitions allow the public to discover a rotating collection of some 90,000 pieces, conjuring up three centuries of fashion.

Rates
Standard rate - Adult, Full price : from 0 EUR to 7,50 EUR
Reduced rate : from 0 EUR to 5,50 EUR
Free
Young rate : 3,50 EUR

Payment conditions : Eurocard - Mastercard
Visa

Address
10 avenue Pierre 1er de Serbie
75116 PARIS

Neighbourhood : Trocadéro
By Bus : 32, 42, 63, 72, 80, 82, 92
By subway : Alma-Marceau, Iéna
Train : C, Pont de l'Alma

Individual guided tours on request
Unaccompanied group visits on request
Group guided tours on request
Tours for school parties

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 10:06 AM

My comment about it being closed didn't mean permanently or in general, just that they are only open during special exhibits, and I don't think there is one right now and won't be in December, either. I think they closed in August and will be closed until some time in 2007 when the next exhibit opens. One should always check with current Pariscope or other guide when in Paris, of course.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 10:11 AM

I would suggest: "Musée de la Mode et du Textile pays a vibrant tribute to the exceptional talent of Cristobal Balenciaga Eisaguirre" I have not been but am excitedly waiting for our trip in December to see the exhibit. Have heard it is wonderful if you have fashion interests. (I think the September Vogue (US edition) had an article on it)
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 10:12 AM

Forgot to mention you can find info on the show at parisinfo.com under the Exhibitions section.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 10:19 AM

I had a couple of other thoughts for you...on the parisinfo.com site there is a "Meet the Parisians at Work" section that has a tour with Johanna Braitbart, fashion accessories designer, for 5Euro. Looks like it would be very interesting for you if you can fit the dates in.

Also, I love to just wander in the discount fabric stores at the foot of Sacre-Coeur gardens. At the foot of the gardens, you have a whole paradise of discount fabric stores, stretching all the way to boulevard Rochechouard and the Anvers metro.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 02:30 PM

My girls and I loved the (free) fashion show at Galerie Lafayette on Fri. morning. We registered by email from their website. The Printemps show was fine, too.
When we went, we tried to look as much as possible like someone who'd actually buy something there.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great information. Now I have some ideas of what we can do while we're in Paris. I'll check out the "Meet the Parisians at Work" on Parisinfo.com. One question on the Museums - if I get a Museum card/pass does this cover the two museums mentioned here as well as the larger museums, like the Louvre? Also, thanks for the info on the fabric stores. What about stores for buttons, notions and also yarn? Thanks!
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 04:45 PM

for fabric, notions, and craft supplies, craftster.org has some great city guides (all over hte world) - http://tinyurl.com/yyfbpr

also, some of the department stores carry yarn

one of my favorite finds was BHV - Le Bazar de l'Hotel de Ville - it's sorta like a 5-floor home depot meets sears meets joaan. locals absolutely shop there, and i found some incredible odds and ends there - notebooks that you could only get in europe, and some fabulous orange gardening twine in a can with great packaging.... but i just enjoy checking out funny things like packaging and materials, maybe you don't.

here are a few yarn / craft stores i found before my own trip to paris a couple of years ago - presumably they are still in business:

*Laines Up (7eme)
14 rue cler – just above walking market area, yarn shop

*La Drouguerie (1eme)
9 rue Jour
just above Les Halles and St. Eustache church
M: Les Halles
buttons, yarn, crafty stuff

*Cat'Laine 2eme
19 rue Saint Marc (just NW of the Place de la Bourse)
M: Bourse
Yarn

*Bouton d'Or 8eme
10 rue de la Pepiniere (near rue d'anjou)
M: Gare St. Lazare or St. Augustin
Yarn

*Huguet et Cie 3eme
36 rue Reaumur (near rue des Vertus)
M: Arts et Metiers
yarn shop

*Anny Blatt 3eme
40 rue des francs Bourgeois (near Picasso museum)
yarn shop

i didn't make it to either of those museums, but i did see a great fashion related show at the cartier foundation.

make sure you go to colette!

i have a great list of fabulous, special stores if you want it - most of which i made it to and can vouch for - if you want me to email it to you.

have fun!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 12:25 PM

The Paris Museum Pass does cover the Louvre and the two fashion museums you asked about. This is the official website about it which lists all the museums it covers:

http://www.parismuseumpass.fr

That Meet the Parisians at work thing sounds interesting, that's good to know about.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 05:59 AM

I would go on a Paris walk which has one devoted to Fashion.

www.paris-walks.com
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

More great info. Thanks, especially for the list of stores to check out. I also just got the following from a magazine I picked up by chance in a bookstore. I only got websites and haven't checked them out much yet but they look promising for beads, fabrics and notions. Heard of any of them?
www.victoriabroad.com; entreedesfournisseurs.com/index_gb.htm (a haberdashery!); www.marche-saintpierre.fr;
www.lerouvray.com (fabric); www.tissus-moline.com (fabric I think); boutiquemodesettra (I'll have to look more for this-the website didn't come up when I tried it)
Thanks for all the help.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 05:32 PM

please post a reply in this thread when you come back to tell us what you found! have fun!
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 05:54 PM

If you want to see some edgy designs," L Éclaireur" is the place to see designers, like my favorite Dries Van Noton.
It's on the rue des Rosiers in the Marais.