Paris eats - need help

Mar 4th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Beth

Paris eats - need help

We are 6 women travelling to Paris in April for 4 days. Any ideas for great places to eat that aren't pricey? Especially heard to eat mussels.
We are staying at Sully St. Germain near Sorbonne. Any comments on restaurants near there?
A couple of places I've heard of:
A place near Montmarte, Refuge de Fondue that sounds cute, drink wine from baby bottles. Is it worth it?
A restaurant where the music students are waiters and practice singing opera between serving. Any idea where this is?
Would a dinner cruise be worth it?

Mar 4th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Ursula

Beth:

Good websites for food:

www.parisavenue.fr
www.parisinsiderguides.com
www.paris-touristoffice.com
www.paris.planresto.fr
www.bparis.com

Yu won't have trouble finding nice places in the Sorbonne area. But stay of from tourist traps and menus written in English, German, Japanese. There are nice restaurant in Rue Monsieur-le-Prince (Le Polidor) and around the Mabillon area. You will find plently of brasseries with seafood.
Dinner cruise is probably to expensive for what you get.

Mar 4th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Dick

Good Mussel restaurant at the corner of Rue Seine and St. Germaine . . (or within a block of it) Uneven service, but mussels are good. "Moulles e Frits" I believe the name is.

Evening Dinner cruise is pricey, but if you can manage it, it is an experience to remember. You should be able to book at your hotel.

Enjoy . . Dick

Mar 4th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Sue

While it is not a *very* inexpensive place, a well-known eatery, Brasserie Balzar, is right down the street from your hotel at 49, rue des Ecoles, and is quite good and reasonable for a nice restaurant. At any rate, it will be easy for you to check the posted menu.

Mar 4th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Christina

There are plenty of good restaurants around there, around the street leading to Pantheon (rue Soufflot, Les Fontaines is a good cafe on that street) and maybe rue Cujas there are a few. Perraudin is a popular cheap bistro on rue St-Jacques. There are a lot of good cheap restaurants around rue Guisarde in St-Germain which is off Mabillon. There seem to be several good bistros that serve mussels around Montparnasse Blvd it seems to me -- Bistrot du Dome, for example, is very good for seafood in general and is moderatley priced, and there's a big one down near the corner just before you get to Montparnasse Tower, and there is a chain mussels place along that street also (Leon de Bruxelles) which I can't comment on. There is another place called Bar a Huitres (Oyster Bar) that is okay and there is one of those in Montparnasse and rue St-Jacques near Sorbonne. There is a restaurant named Bel Canto near the Hotel de Ville that as opera-singing servers, don't know if that is the one you mean. I would not drink wine out of a baby bottle at gunpoint in public, so would not think such a place is worth it at all.

Mar 4th, 2001, 02:33 PM
s.fowler

Try Perraudin, a popular Sorbonne area bistro. Get there early 'cause the line's out the door, but it's worth the wait. It's at: 157 rue St-Jacques, 5e

Mar 5th, 2001, 10:19 AM
mimi

The last two times that we were in Paris we followed Patricia Wells book. You will find restaurants of different prices in different neighborhoods. The two that we liked, at about $25 a person, were the Chamelon, off of Montparnasse Blvd. near Le Dome and the Astir, off the Place de Republic. This is a reasonable price for dinner in Paris.

Mar 5th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Ursula

Beth: "Le Caméléon" is at 6, Rue de Chevreuse, 6th. Métro: Vavin. You will love that one. Wonderful small bistrot.
Booking highly recommended:
Tel. 43 20 63 43.
Another one "Le Parc au Cer", 50, Rue Vavin, Tel. 43 54 87 83.
Both in lively Montparnasse, but a bit out of the big tourist stream of Quartier Latin.
Menues around FF 200.- without wine.

Mar 5th, 2001, 10:40 AM
Ursula

Pls read: "Le Parc au Cerf".

For seafood: "Le Bistrot du Dôme". Off Blvd. Montparnasse, 14th. (Rue Delambre?)
Terrific place too.

Mar 5th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Christine

Beth - I've been to that fondue place. I want to say it's on Rue des Trois Freres ou quelque chose comme ca. It would have been much more fun if there weren't 4 loud american men sitting right next to us! It was also very hot in there.

I suppose it was an interesting experience, but we had better fondue closer to where you're staying. Just a little place on a side street - I don't remember the name.

If you do go to the fondue restaurant near Montmartre, you should know that there are only two long tables - each has one long bench seat against the wall. So 1/2 of your party will need to get up on a chair, then step onto the table and down onto the bench on the other side. So don't wear skirts or dresses. Which if fine because it's a very casual place.

Enjoy!

Mar 5th, 2001, 10:48 AM
jack

I second the nomination of rue Monseiur le Prince restaurants. Polidor is great, inexpensive, truly French cuisine in homey atmosphere. One patron allegedly has eaten there every night for 40 years. Don't miss the canard confit. A little more expensive but also great is Maitre Paul, also on Monsieur le Prince. Try the poulet pate appetizer. Magnifique.

Mar 5th, 2001, 12:15 PM
npopp

Get your hands on a copy of Susan Gustafson's book "Cheap Eats in Paris."
My friends and I did and we weren't disappointed in her recommendations. We were in Paris for a week and enjoyed all our meals out!!