Is Hampton Court Palace Closed?

Feb 28th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Bev

Is Hampton Court Palace Closed?

I've heard that Hampton Court Palace has been closed down due to the Hand and Mouth Virus. Any speculation as to how long it will be closed? We were planning to visit the Palace in Mid March.

Feb 28th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Sue

I visited the palace last week and it was open for business as usual. I heard about the hand and mouth virus, but did not hear that the palace was closing. Perhaps there are more current developments that I am not aware of.

Feb 28th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Michelle

Foot and mouth! Foot and mouth !How about HOOF AND MOUTH. We had it at this little hotel with a red awning, it was close to this great pastry shop...

Feb 28th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Lisa

#1: Hoof and mouth disease is for cattle/pigs/sheep - it does not affect healthy people

#2: Hampton Court Palace is open (atleast as of 4 days ago), and i can think of no reason why it should be closed due to a cattle infection in animals.
The only problem with hoof and mouth disease and travelling to England would be not being able to buy/eat pork/beef and lamb as there is a shortage of it available.

Feb 28th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Bev

I read an article in some British magazine that said Hampton Court Royal Park has been closed. Hope it's OK to assume that this has nothing to do with the grounds at Hampton Court Palace. Whew, I was getting worried that I'd have to miss out on a visit to the Palace.

Feb 28th, 2001, 02:13 PM
Jedd

Right, the Royal parks, including Hampton Ct's, have been closed as a precautionary measure to keep the Royal Deer" from being infected. So far, the palace is open, but stay in touch with the news....things are moving fast on the Foot & Mouth crisis issue.

Feb 28th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Jane

The park at Hampton Court has been closed because of the deer that live there. However I do not know whether the palace has been closed. Visit the Hampton Court website - if you haven't already at

www.hrp.org.uk

and follow the links through. I had a quick look at the site and it gives no up to date information but you could email them or if all else fails there is a couple of phone numbers to try including an international one at the end of the Events page. If all else fails you might like to check out the other Historic Palaces on that website for an alternative to visit.

The disease is Foot and Mouth, and while the disease may only mildly affect people , the problem is the disease is HIGHLY contagious and is easily transfered by or from people to other people, vehicles etc that may have visited, or may be intending to visit somewhere that have cloven hoofed animals (including deer) that can easily contract the disease. So although you are probably 'clean' it cannot be said that all visitors will be.

Having said that I am sure you will have a wonderful time evn if you don't manage to get to Hampton Court.

Mar 1st, 2001, 03:36 AM
kate

Blimey Lisa, don't get carried away. Anyone would think we were suffering a famine!

Of course meat is still available. The crisis is affecting the farming community, not the entire nation. We may be an island but it doesn't stop us importing.

Mar 5th, 2001, 12:16 PM
xx