Mad Cow/Hoof and mouth disease in UK...

Mar 3rd, 2001, 02:57 PM
Phil Bregman

Mad Cow/Hoof and mouth disease in UK...

My fiance and I will be in Paris, Mallorca and are scheduled for London April 11 - 17 for our honeymoon. We are very concerned regarding what we have been hearing about traveling in and out of England. We have heard they are spraying people and their luggage to dissinfect upon departure and arrival in the U.S. Is this true, does anyone know what is going on? We are thinking we need to change our itinerary to avoid the U.K. Should we seriously consider this or are we being too paranoid. HELP Thanks!

Mar 3rd, 2001, 03:12 PM
Ger

Phil:

There should be no problem as long as you stay in the cities. Some countries in Europe are asking vistors from the UK to walk over a disinfected mat but I have not heard of "spraying".

Check out some of the other threads re "Foot & Mouth" via the search facility.

Regards

Mar 5th, 2001, 06:44 AM
Nigel

Please get this into perspective.
It's Foot and Mouth disease and not bubonic plague.
The nearest you'll get to being disinfected is your footwear.
Travel:
Some countries arrival points are asking tourists from UK to hand over meat products (sandwiches, porkpies etc-Strange but true) and to disinfect their shoes.So don't think about taking that Melton Mowbray pork pie home for the folks as a souvenier.

Can't comment about departure FOR UK, but I think some are applying the same rules.
Total immersion in a tank of disinfectant is not one of them though!

Countryside:
Visits to Farms,National Trust Parks and Rambling through the countryside have been banned for the forseeable future. So don't plan to visit Longleat etc. or popping in to see that farmer cousin you've lost contact with.

Cities:
The overpriced Hotels, littered streets and tourist traps of London will remain the same. There is, at present, no meat shortage, (MacDonalds will be unaffected, they don't put meat in their burgers).

Seriously though,there is a restriction on non essential contact with animals. If you didn't plan to roam with the beasts you'll not notice any difference.

Have a good trip!

Mar 5th, 2001, 08:43 AM
kate

Nigel is right, even if he's very rude about my beloved London.

Mar 5th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Annie

Well, I talked to friends yesterday who said Marks and Spencers has virtually no meat or any products that contain meat. But you should still be able to get the nasty frozen hamburgers they sell in the U.K., as they couldn't possibly contain any real meat. Oh, and sausage rolls, too.

Mar 5th, 2001, 08:57 AM
Ann

There's absolutely no shortage of any meat or meat products in our local supermarkets. Don't start people panic buying!!!

Mar 5th, 2001, 12:35 PM
Libby

Thank you so much for finally giving me the answer I was looking for...I am going to London 3-15 thru 3-23 and I was panicked that our trip would be cancelled..They (the US media) are acting like the Uk is at a standstill...We will be staying in Windsor (free hotel) and mostly hanging out in London...does anyone have a cheap alternative to getting from Gatwick to Windsor/Slough? Thanks again for the info!!