Paris - D-Day Beaches

Search

Paris - D-Day Beaches

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris - D-Day Beaches

Greetings! We would like to take a day trip to the Normandie D-Day Beaches from Paris in June. My concern is, what is the best way to cover so much in this short time. or is it better to spend a night there? Advice please. Thanks!
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 07:11 AM

Do go back through the history files of fodors on Normandy-you will get some wonderful tips from many seasoned travelers. Personally, the Normandy area should have a MIMIMUM of 3 days with all that there is to see and do. I would recommend having two different areas to base out of-one being Bayeaux.The day trips that are offered out of Paris would not do any justice to seeing the area. The Caen museum is a must and it would be at least a 4 hour visit (even for people that are not interested in musuems).If you want to visit the American cemetary, do more than one beach, the Caen museum-plan on a few days. Have fun!
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 07:20 AM

I agree that several days would be optimal...but if your time is limited and you only have a day you can definitely do a lot. Our plans were messed up a bit in Paris and so we ended up only having one day for the beaches. Our hotel arranged a private guide for the day and we left very early in the morning and arrived back in Paris late that evening. We went to the museum in Caen, then to a little village for lunch, then to Omaha Beach and American Cemetary. Having the guide who knew where to go was a lifesaver! Worth every penny. Plus having lunch with him was a wonderful way to learn about a typical French person and their way of life.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 07:41 AM

And although we spent 6 days in Normandy last fall, if you only have one day the large tour companies in Paris do a day trip--leave early and come back late. You could also take the train to Bayeux and take a tour from there--someone will know the name of the best company, it escapes me.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 09:15 AM

My wife and I and some friends spent some time in Europe last summer. While in Paris we took a train to Bayeux and stayed for 1 night at Hotel D'Argouges which is right in the center of town. While I agree that more time could be spent for the Beaches we were able to get a capsule tour that covered many sites, including Sword, Omaha, Pont de Hoc, and the Cemetary. Staying overnight gave us time to see the Tapestry also and explore a really nice town and partake of a great dinner.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 09:25 AM

Normandy needs more than one day. The area is fantastic to visit, even without the D-Day invasion. We enjoyed the area more than Paris. <BR><BR>A good friend of mine took a 54 day around the world trip when he retired. His highlight was Normandy. Definitely try to do more than a quick day trip over from Paris. Spend at least one night and get in two full days.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 10:05 AM

Folks, we all agree that more time is needed. The advice asked for was for one day. We saw a LOT in one day--saw Caen on a day coming to Bayeux. It is all very important but you can definitely get a true feeling for the enormity of the invasion in a well planned tour day.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information.<BR><BR>mms, may I ask which hotel arrange the private guide, and how much you paid?<BR><BR>oberost, did you reserve the capsule tour when you were in Paris? which tour?<BR><BR>From what I read, it is better to spend more than one day. just that I've paid for a week apartment in Paris; going to normandie to spend a night is double accommodation. It may be worthwhile though..<BR><BR>Thanks again for the input.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 12:54 AM

You might try this web site. We've done their WW1 tours and they are excellent.<BR><BR>http://www.salienttours.com
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 12:58 AM

Also go to www.timesonline.co.uk..<BR><BR>On the right hand side of the ffront page there is a section about traveling in France..they have an article on the battlefields and they have several links to tour companies
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 01:03 AM

I wish Fodor's had an edit button!!<BR><BR>The France article has been moved here is the url for the page <BR><BR>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...626774,00.html