Notices

Paris...converter/adaptor question

Old May 16th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris...converter/adaptor question

Hi to all the electricity buffs out there (you know who you are...). I am borrowing converters and adaptors from a friend who has used them in Portugal. Will these also work in Paris? According to everything I can find, they will, but I just wanted to check.

Also, the instructions on the converters say to use with "heating-type" appliances such as hair dryers, hot plates, etc. Is it safe to use the converter for my camera charger, battery charger and iPod-type charger? I would have assumed so but since they aren't heating-type appliances I didn't want to fry anything based on assumptions...

Thanks for your help~

Christina
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:14 AM
rex

<< Also, the instructions on the converters say to use with "heating-type" appliances such as hair dryers, hot plates, etc. >>

I assume that you mean "NOT to use..."

Anyhow, I think you will be fine with them. Coceovably, you could end up needing a 4 euro plug adapter (just to make it fit into the receptacle).

But you may not need any (voltage) converter (transformer) at all - - in general, your charging "cubes", "bricks" whatever... for any modern electronic device - - will be fine with 220-240 volt input. You would just need (still) the plug adapter.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:21 AM

You need to look on the equipment and see if it accepts 110-240/250 voltage; if so, you do not need a converter, just a two-prong Continental plug adaptor.
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi Rex...I checked, and sure enough the directions actually say that the converter is to be used with heating-type appliances...of course, after doing a little checking it appears that this converter was purchased in 1997, before digital cameras and mp3 players existed. I'm thinking it'll be fine...

Oh, and Intrepid1, it looks like my camera charger comes with an adaptor, so I'm thinking that it will run without the converter...will doublecheck amps and volts and whatnot and everything prior to plugging in~

Thanks to you both!

Christina
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:44 AM

If your converter is for appliances that draw a lot of power (and get hot), you should NOT plug electronics into it. What you want (if your chargers aren't dual-voltage) is a transformer.

The whole story is here:

http://www.franzus.com/Merchant2/mer...=FOS&Screen=UE