Search

Outlet Converter - Voltage Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outlet Converter - Voltage Question

Hello,
Can anyone explain the deal with safely using US appliances and electronics in Italy? I bought an Outlet converter package with one big piece to convert voltage and little plugs for the ares overseas where you'll be...but then I turned over the package and it says "Do not use with electronics, etc."! How in the world can I charge my digital camera, laptop, or camcorder then? I really apprecite anyone's advice. Thanks
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:20 PM
Intrepid

First of all LOOK at the labels on your chargers for all three items. Generally these items will work on a range of 110 to 220-240 volts and it will say so on the label. The "converter" may even be built into the power cord of your laptop. If the labels indicate the ability to accept (and automatically convert) 220-240 volt current then all you'll need are the adaptors..in fact for Continental Europe all you usually need is the two-round-prong adaptor plug and you can leave the converter at home. Hope this helps.

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:12 PM

I charged the battery for my digital camera every few days using the converter and had no problems. However, my curling iron never worked. Go figure.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:23 PM
rex

If it didn't blow circuit breakers or cause a major fire (including your hair), consider yourself lucky.

Heating devices consume way too much power to be used with "travel convertors". The amperage (wattage) of any device that creates heat requires a transformer that weighs 10-20 pounds.

Not lecturing you - - reminding others that read this and consider it a "mystery" that your curling iron didn't work.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:09 AM
ira

Hi Rex,

I have a 1500 Watt voltage converter, suitable for hair dryer, that weighs less than 8 oz.

It's in the suitcase in the attic, so I can't tell you the brand.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:11 AM
ira

Hi Marc,

Your converter can be used with your gadgets. It behaves just like your wall plug at home.

The warning label is put there to help protect against a claim for damages to expensive stuff if the converter fails.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 11:05 AM

I'm really stunned by the lame responses to this very important thread.

The smart way to approach this question is to pre-determine the US appliances you intend to take to Europe. Write down the Voltage and WATTS for each item. Then call the folks at http://www.voltageconverters.com/ and supply them with the information. They will give you expert advice on how to protect yourself, your hotel, and your stuff.

Unless your laptop is too old, most laptops these days are dual voltage. A converter is not required but a plug adapter for the specific country is.

Digital cameras et al, require individual investigation because most are not dual voltage. You can seriously destroy your digital camera permanently if a converter is required to recharge and you decide to foolishly use a plug adapter alone.

A smart travel is a safe traveler.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 11:33 AM

Hmmm... I thought the first reply was perfectly clear.