Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris: CDG to Beauvais airport? Also-- USAir experiences?

Feb 27th, 2006, 02:14 PM
MaureenB

1. How does one travel between these two airports? I might need to arrive on USAir at CDG, then depart on RyanAir from Beauvais. I wonder how long it takes to get from one airport to the other, what means of transport is best, and what ground transportation might cost for one person with a couple of bags. Anyone know?
2. Also, I've never used USAir, so have no idea if that's an airline I want to fly all the way from Denver- to Paris. I can use my United Mileage Plus, so am strongly considering it. Thoughts on USAir and/or experiences with them would be much appreciated.
Thanks, everyone.

Feb 27th, 2006, 02:18 PM

I think one of the easier, cheaper ways to do the transfer is to take the Air France bus to Place d'Etoile, and then take the Ryanair shuttle bus from Place d'Etoile.

Here are the details of the Aeroport Beauvais bus:
http://www.aeroportbeauvais.com/index.php?lang=eng
Feb 27th, 2006, 02:20 PM

I haven't done that transfer myself. I did take the Air France bus on other routes. Much will depend on traffic. If you miss the shuttle bus to Beauvais, you will truly be out of luck, so I'd allow as much time as possible beforehand. You could always go to a cafe or something if you have hours of waiting after arriving at Place d'Etoile.
Feb 27th, 2006, 02:20 PM

There is no direct public transportation between the two airports. You would need to go into Paris and catch the bus from Porte Maillot. The info about the bus is detailed on the ryan air and beauvais airport websites. I think you have to catch the bus about 3 hours before your plane leaves beauvais. If at all possible catch a flight out of CDG or Orly. Beauvais is not a true Paris airport, RyanAir just calls it one.
Feb 27th, 2006, 02:31 PM

I took USAir to CDG last month and have no particular complaints. We were on an airplane that had a 2/I can't remember how many/2 configuration of seats, which I liked as my traveling companion and I thus had a window and aisle. The plane was remarkably uncrowded, but I imagine that was just because we were traveling in February. We had individual tv screens with a choice of movies and entertainment, which is always nice. No free alcohol, which is too bad, but I think universal on American airlines these days. We were given a rather nasty donut stick for breakfast that I did not like and should not have eaten. Other than that, all was well. If you are changing in Philadelphia, previous threads have talked about how chaotic and time-consuming it is to change flights on return through the international terminal. This wasn't my experience at all; there were lots of staff guiding us and giving instructions, and it all went very quickly and smoothly, so hopefully that is indicative and those problems have been addressed.
Feb 27th, 2006, 03:14 PM

US Air has recently merged with America West Airlines as it struggled with its second bankruptcy in five years. Here is a link to an interesting article about them:

http://tinyurl.com/qqe2s

I have a personal grudge against US Air which won't easily go away.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34759617

They are so big though that it is hard to avoid flying on them.
Feb 27th, 2006, 03:33 PM

USAirways use their very new A330 for most European routes. Good entertainment, new seats, etc. You won't have problem with that.

As for using Ryanair from Beauvais, with the transfer you're wasting the whole first day in Europe. I don't know if that's worth your time or not.
Feb 27th, 2006, 04:02 PM

The connection on USAir through Philly is hell. Can you do the Charlotte connectio9n instead? That is much better. Other that the problem with Philadelphia, USAir is the same as any other of the sardine class flights we have had.
Feb 27th, 2006, 04:13 PM

USAirways has been the primary way most of us in W. PA have flown to Europe for many years now, and it is no better/no worse than any other major carrier. And as someone above said, if you fly out of PHL, you are on the Airbus 330, and you have your own personal screen on the back of the seat in front of you. The configuration is 2-3(4?)-2; seatguru.com will give you exact info.

I don't understand why this issue of "how bad is USAirways" keeps arising. Sure, there are stories of late arrivals/departures, lost luggage, but what airline doesn't have them?
Feb 27th, 2006, 04:21 PM

grandmere - USAirways was indeed bad. Just ask people who lost their bags during Christmas holiday 2004.

America West was also horrible a few years back. No need to repeat their nickname. Lots of delayed and cancelled flights; and there's really no excuse as they're based in a fair weather airport.

So, there are reasons why people were, and some still are, skeptical.
Feb 27th, 2006, 04:28 PM

Yep, I agree that that was really bad, but that was an isolated incident(easy for me to say b/c I wasn't involved in it). But USAirways got bad raps even before that.
Feb 27th, 2006, 04:51 PM
MaureenB

Thank you all-- I can always count on good info. from fellow fodorites!
I'm just in the intial planning stages of a 'last minute' opportunity I'm creating for myself to meet my daughter in Italy in early May. I want to use my considerable stockpile of Mileage Plus miles, so I'm working on getting 'free' transportation as close to Florence as I can get. So far, it's Paris for the dates I need. (We would come back London- Dulles, as my daughter gets off there.)
I have flexibility, so could possibly spend a couple of days in Paris on my own, which sounds like a possible (and desirable) plan.
I ask about USAir because I've never flown them. They are not a presence in Denver to speak of. I don't trust any airlines anymore-- not just them! Good to know they have new Airbuses for 'over the water'.

Feb 27th, 2006, 06:07 PM

Your UA miles can be used on many carriers. Lufthansa can get you to Florence (or Pisa during the closure of FLR). SAS can also get you to Europe.