Paris Carte orange zones and age

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing research, and it seems pretty evident that the Carte Orange will be our best bet for the first week we're in Paris (Tue-Tues, so it will apply for Mon-Sun). But I have two questions:

1) Which zones are considered Central Paris? I.e., Do zone 1-2 cover all of Central Paris, including the external environs (e.g., Bois de Boulogne, Villette, Bois de Vincennes)?
2) Which zone is Versailles? I ask because I can't decide if we take the RER B from Roissy to Luxembourg, if it's worth it to buy a zone 1-5 carte orange or a zone 1-2 and a separate Roissy-Luxembourg ticket.
3) What do I do about my 4-year old? I know he pays, but can he get a half price carte orange?

Thanks in advance for help. This website help me decide to invest in the carte orange over a carnet.

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:14 PM

The zones can be seen on this map:

<b>http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan.php?nompdf=rer_idf_geo&amp;loc=secteur&amp; fm=pdf</b>

Zones 1-2 includes everything bounded by the Peripheral Highway. Versailles is in Zone 4.

I think your best strategy would be to buy a 2-zone, then individual tickets from the furthest station in Zone 2 to your destination. In other words, to get to Versailles, get a round-trip Issy-Versailles for the Zones 2-4 portion, and cover the rest with your CO. For Roissy, the Zone 2 station would be La Plaine Stade de France.

Prices of these tickets can be found at <b>http://www.transilien.com/MOVIE/FR/PrRForm.htm</b>

I am not aware of any half-price <i>Carte Orange</i>, but sometimes the childrens' <i>Paris Visite</i> is a little cheaper. But understand that the longest period you can buy is 5 days.

Refer to <b>http://www.ratp.info/informer/tarif.php</b> and work out your strategy.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:40 PM

As a footnote to the above (for the benefit of anyone else who wanders into this discussion), let me add that IF you will be in Paris within a Monday-Sunday period, and IF you want to take the RER back and forth from CDG, THEN a 5-zone <i>Carte Orange</i> makes sense. But if you aren't going both from and to the airport the same week, it doesn't.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 05:25 PM

A 5 day Zone 1-3 child Paris Visite costs about 14&euro;. Ages 4-11
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for my delay in thanking you for your help...was unable to access computer for a couple of days.

Very helpful to both. Sounds like I'll buy a zone 1-2 carte orange and then deal with rest. I will try to look up answer to this one, but I assume the RER lines also apply, as long as they stay within the zones...

I appreciate the help, thank you!
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:57 AM

yes, you can use the RER within the zones indicated on the card. Actually, that is the purpose of the zones, they delineate RER validity areas, as you can use the metro anywhere it goes with that pass. The metro mainly operates only in zones 1-2, but there are a few metro stops in zone 3 which you can use with a zone 1-2 card.

There is no children's discount on the Carte Orange.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Christina,

Oh no!! I assume then that I buy 1/2 price carnet of 10? Or is that not available? The big advantage of carte orange, other than price, is the ability not to worry about buying tickets every time. I sure hope I can get some sort of a discount for my 4-year old..Thanks
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 06:39 AM

Author: gomiki
Date: 10/31/2005, 01:57 pm

richard, last November <b>my TC used the Carte Orange to go to La Defense (sp). It was out of the zone</b>. The metro police detained him, told him there was a fine (he did not have enough money on him) and called the regular police. He was going to jail!! After a while they let him go. He was scared. Pay attention to the Zone.

From this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34700617

Old Nov 27th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Nobody is ever sent to jail for not having the right zones on his Carte Orange, but a person who threatens transit agents or otherwise causes disorder may be arrested, and may go to jail for that reason. Are you sure you're telling the whole story?