Paris bus experts: please help

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Paris bus experts: please help

We are confused. Let's say we have a carnet of RATP tickets and want to ride the bus lines in Paris. By using two lines, with a transfer point where the two lines cross, we can reach our destination.

When we board the first bus, each of us puts a ticket into the machine by the driver, and stamps the ticket. When we arrive at the transfer intersection, do we re-cancel this same ticket on the second bus line -- or must we use entirely new tickets?

On the metro, we know we can transfer from one line to another ("correspondance"), using only a single ticket each.

So our question is, can a single ticket on the bus lines be used, transferring from one line to the next? Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 08:55 PM

Yes.

Larry J
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 09:12 PM

Yes.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 10:27 PM

> can a single ticket on the bus lines > be used, transferring from one line to the next?

NO, for each bus ride you need separate tickets or I always thought so. The two posters who responded yes, can you explain your answer?
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 10:41 PM

Kappa's right, you have to use a separate ticket for each bus ride.

The RATP website says: "For the bus and tramway lines within Paris and Ile de France region, one single ticket allows a one-way trip, without interchange, whatever the length of the journey"
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 12:08 AM

As a daily user of the RATP bus network, I have to confirm that unfortunately kappa and hanl are right.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 03:17 AM

And a third agreeing that you must use two tickets if you transfer. That is why the Carte Orange (or even the Mobilis pass) is so good. You can use it for unlimited riding on the bus. For the passes, just hold them up for the driver--do NOT put through the cancelling machine. I think the Mobilis is about 5€/day so if you are going to be riding the bus, in particular, it is a pretty good deal.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 04:44 AM

Used to be the bus routes had Zones and you could transfer within the same Zone. But, several years ago, when the bus Zones were eliminated, so were free transfers.

You need a new ticket each time you board a bus. You cannot "re-cancel" a bus ticket.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 05:40 AM

If you want to make buses your primary form of transit in Paris, then the only cost-effective way to travel is with some kind of pass. In the last few years, I've been using buses more and more--partly because sometimes I'm traveling with my mother who can't take all the metro stairs and partly because I really enjoy *seeing* the city.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 07:37 AM

> because I really enjoy *seeing* the city.

Yes, that's my reason too, why I take the bus as often as possible in Paris. Also I hate the high stairs and long corridors for correspondence with Metro.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Hmmmm...I guess I've learned something new. I'm quite sure that a few years ago I made a long bus ride that required two transfers without using more than one ticket. But come to think of it, in recent years all my bus trips have been single rides on the same bus, no transfers required. Sorry if I gave out misinformation - I bow to the experts with more recent experience.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:23 AM

StCirque, ratp.fr site mentions the following exceptions, Maybe the busses you took with one ticket were among these.

"Please note : for interchange between "T2 to RER or SNCF Ile-de-France" (and vice-versa) exclusively, you may purchase tickets to destination to the whole route including line T2.

Noctambus
On the Noctambus lines, a special rate is applied, whatever route you take, with or without interchange between the Noctombus lines."
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 10:29 AM

If one intends to use the bus very much, a pass of some kind really is more beneficial because you can't transfer on a ticket, rather than the use of carnets or single tickets. I always buy a pass if I intend to use the bus a lot (whether weekly, or a daily Mobilis). Of course, if it were just to know the answer and you expect only a bus once in a while, I wouldn't change ticket purchase plans.

It would have become obvious once you tried using a used ticket in the machine, however. I don't think you ever can "re-cancel" a ticket.