Paris Arts et Decoratifs museum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, We’re going to be in Paris the first week of June, and I’m interested to know if the museum has its historical collection of clothing on display all the time - I can’t tell from the website. I’m particularly interested in costumes from the periods of Louis XIV-XVI, early twentieth century, etc.

Has anyone been lately?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 02:47 PM

No. But the name doesn't ring French.
Is it musée des arts décoratifs or arts et objets décoratifs ?
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

It’s Musee des Arts décoratifs, thanks.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 10:41 PM

There's a temporary exhibit concerning clothing from the 14C to modern day lasting until 23 April 2017:
"Tenue correcte exigee" - located in the "nef".

You might want to consider buying a Pass, instead of having to pay the regular admission fee plus paying for the temporary exhibit.
http://www.lesartsdecoratifs.fr/fran...res-et-tarifs/
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, fuzzbucket. So that's the only clothing on exhibit - a temporary one? We're not there til June.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 07:43 AM

Many fashion/textile museums are not open continually, many only are open for special exhibits. And even the ones open longer do not always have everything continually on display. The one in Lyon has things continually on display.

In fact, that particular museum in Paris does not have fashion and textiles on display except for the special exhibits. Neither does the fashion museum of the city of Paris (Galleria near place de l'Alma) which is only open for special exhibits. It specializes in 18th Century and later, anyway, so wouldn't have 17th century dress (which is extremely rare in any museum). They are having a special exhibit of Balenciaga dresses at an off-site (Musee Bourdelle) until July, you might take that in. That might have some of his early 20th century pieces, but most likely mid-century and later, after he opened his boutique in Paris before WWII. http://www.bourdelle.paris.fr/en

Now the Musee de la Mode de la Ville de Paris is going to have one of their yearly exhibits opening in APril and it will be open in June, but it's the clothes of Dalida, which doesn't sound like a must-see to me. But it definitely won't be early 20th Century, of course. http://www.palaisgalliera.paris.fr/e...ville-la-scene

I don't suppose your trip includes London? The V&A Museum has a very strong fashion and textiles collection, they do have some items from the 17th Century. The one in Lyon has some of the oldest pieces I've seen anywhere, they even have a pourpoint of Charles of Blois dating from the 14th century. that museum was on the verge of closing, but I think it has been saved.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Christina, that's exactly what I was wondering. I loved the costumes at a museum in Quimper, and look forward to seeing the Alsatian museum in Strasbourg - maybe next year. We're not going to London this time, but the V&A was my favorite place there!