Paris appartment under £350 ..Desperately seeking

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading the stuff on this forum,I think I'll find people who can help us here.
We're a family with 2 boys 7 & 9.We want to explore the sights of Paris in Aug 2007.Being on a tight budget,we'd like to rent an appartment right in Paris for under £350 per week.I've no idea where is "in the heart of Paris" when I look on the map, as we've never been there, and don't know what to look out for.It MUST be possible to find a small appartment to rent and use as a base to explore the E.Tower,Arc d.T,Champs E.,Louvre,and Musee d'Osay?(probably spelling this all wrong,sorry guys!).Have you any ideas as to
1)how best to get there (we're in Sussex,UK.Eurail is quoting £59 per person return...which means over £200.00 in transport.We would like to bring back wine,though,so maybe we should take our car?

2)what websites to look for appartments...I've tried Abritel,and appartcity (which is expensive for us).I've
been looking for a clean and air-conditioned place with a lift if it's on the 4th floor! (I can just see me coaxing my boys to make it up the stairs after a day of sightseeing!!!)
We need some of you with real experience of Paris to advise.Do help.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM

Try starting your search on www.google.fr . This is Google's French web site, and your hits will double, at least.

Arrondisements 1-8 are in the inner circle, so I would try to stay in that area, as more transportations options, etc....

Beyond that, it will come to personal preference. I'm a solid 6th Arrondisement person, most everyone has an opinion about what's "best".

Try to find multiple apartments at that pound rate, and figure out where they are located.

Be thankful you don't have the great 'strength' of the dollar to pay with.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 03:44 PM

You could take a look at this link: http://www.bluemarble.org. They have 3 apartments to rent in Paris.

Have a great trip!

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:14 PM

This newsletter provides some apartment rental contacts:

http://www.parisinsites.com/lodginginparis.html

I've seen a lot of those same listings in my France or Paris magazines as well.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:16 PM

Majority of apts are not air-conditioned from reports I've seen here... For your budget, and wanting a/c (rightly so), you may need to consider locating in the outer arrondissements - but first, be sure to exhaust the Marais area (partly 3rd arr, 4th arr) b/c there are tons of apts. offered there.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:42 PM

try VRBO..don't consider your car unless you find an apt in a suburb with free parking. With what you will pay for parking for a week plus hassstle and gas costs it just isn't worth it.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - we just went through this exercise suggesting all kinds of under-350 GBP places in Scotland for your August holiday. And now it is an under-350 GBP place for an August holiday in Paris??

Are you trying to decide between Scotland and Paris?

Over on your other threads there are several links to cottages under 300 GBP.

If you've decided on Paris -- you need to factor in the train travel or very expensive parking in Paris.

If budget is your primary driver -- than you can do it more cheaply in Scotland since you already have your transportation and parking isn't an issue . . . .
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:03 AM

Actually do not give up the idea of a car. I rented the above apartement, in the center of Paris with it garden and a sercure parking spot for 600 Euros a week. vrbo # 103254
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:12 AM

I found www.parisaddress.com had some good and slightly cheaper than some other apartment agencies.

Bear in mind that August is very likely to be HOT, and without air conditioning you are likely to be quite uncomfortable. But air-conditioned apartments in Paris are actually quite few and far between, certainly not the norm, and they are probably booked by now, also they certainly don't come as cheap as £350 per week in high season.

Here's the one we seriously considered
http://www.parisaddress.com/paris-ap...php?ref=TOUR61
I did reserve this, but at the end of the day we stayed for 3 nights in Hotel Residence Monge - 2 rooms for 180 euro a night because we wanted the air-con. And boy were we grateful for it.

I drove to Paris from the UK in 2005, and we parked in a secure underground car park on the lower part of Rue Monge near Place d'Italie for 3 days/a bit less than 72 hours and I paid around 50 euros.

Driving in Paris was not particularly difficult (and I was on the wrong side of the road for me in my RH drive car) - but I deliberately avoided the Arc de Triomphe for obvious reasons!

Try googling for Paris apartments and then you will just have to trawl the websites for something suitable. Another option is to find somewhere outside of Paris and drive in/get the metro or RER each day. You should be able to find an apartment for less and it will be cooler being out of the city.

Oh, I've just remembered - there is a caravan park in the Bois de Bologne and you can rent caravans and chalets there and that works out a lot cheaper that staying in the city, but I no longer have the website so again you will have to google - try something like camping bois de bologne or boulogne.

Good luck and have a great time.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Just to clarify to janis,thanks for all the info and links you gave me on Scotland.I did try about 90% of the websites & links you sent...but..We've decided to go to Paris instead. Partly,because of the prices and then because we want to live this once in a lifetime experience.The more I read what you all say about it,and the other research I'm doing on this city, the more excited I am. None of us can wait!
Rastaguy,thanks a lot for the french google tip. It's a really good one!I have got a couple of responses from owners of apartments in the 10th district,and another in the 18th.Now the next step is to apparently send 50% of the deposit. One of them wants me to pay via paypal,the other wants me to send a £100 deposit....How safe does this sound to you more experienced people out there?
By the way,goddessintl,I tried bluemarble but none of the 3 are within our budget!
Travelnut,Is the air-con REALLY going to be necessary? I mean,I just wonder,not having been there..you know how cold the UK is when you're out of the sun,so it's a little hard to imagine.
Please keep those tips coming in,everyone,you're really helping a picture form in my head of the kind of holiday this will be and I'm going to follow up on the various advice...tomorrow.All this planning and researching is very exciting,but boy is it time-consuming...oh well,part of the fun,I guess.
By the way, what is it exactly with Marais?Everyone seems to say it with capital letters,what is it like,then?