Paris apartment report- Private Paris.com

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I have not posted here before, I have used the advice here and found it very helpful, so when we went through a very negative experience with the Private-Paris apartment in rue des Juges Consuls (4th), we vowed to warn others of it, no matter how little time we have with our busy life.
From looking at the pictures and reading the description on their site, you can probably agree it looks very appealing; the apartments look fresh, well maintained, slick, stylized notch above a lot of others. Unfortunaley ours was none of it!
Apartment: When we walked into the apartment the first thing that we notice was that the carpet was in a rather bad shape, next thing was that the air was stale; so while still with the owner I immediately opened the windows, she looked and said "oh it's hot today"- everybody was with coats outside and it was unusually cold. When we walked to the living room, I was stunned to see how the same sofa on the web looked shabby-not the white, slick one they show. The whole pic. thing was either enhanced or/and took place really long time ago. The apartment was so dusty- you could taste in your mouth!
The kitchen had peeling paint, was cleaned only in the immediate areas, but else were needed serious cleaning and maintenance. We never used it except to warm mild for our baby.The little pots they have there are of the cheapest quality-and not much of it either.They did stock it well though with lots of plates, glasses, but again we never felt comfortouble to use it, let alone sit in the dusty living room, where the dining table is. The bedroom was a bit less dusty, therefore that's as much as we used (along the bathroom) it had a thin foam mattress pillows were dirty,the sheets although clean, had a large old blood stain on them. Since it was at the foot of the bed (just mattress) we discovered it latter only. They claim that they use professional cleaning people - I have a really hard time to believe it and - the place needs a thorough cleaning & maintenance improvements. We were so uncomfortable in this place that as soon as we washed up in the morning we left - even with our 2 little children, we had to stay out all day, come only later for a shower and uncomfortable sleep.

Street & Bldg: The little street it is on, is more of an ally, and from walking around this quarter (the Bouborge-hotle de ville) we figured it's one of the least attractive of all: led by a another street that is most of the time dirty, used by homeless, this little street is not appealing in the least. The bldg. which is written to be on the site, of the 19th century, is of lower class, with no character what so ever, musty smell, tiny elevator that holds about 2 adult- very tightly- this is the case with a lot of the elevator in Paris, but this one is badly kept, has a musty odor.
We could forgive about the street, the bldg, although it doesn't merritt the 170 euro a night (we stayed a week) they ask, but we could never forgive the very basic cleaning and general up keep (it needs, new paint etc.) that in such low standards. We wouldn't stay in this place for free, even for a single day.
All this is not to deter anyone from renting an apartment abroad; we have traveled extensively, and rented apartments in Barcelona, in Portugal and yes even in Paris.
All were very good experiences, and I will recommended it again. What I learned is that you really want to try to get references of previous clients, if you can try to work with someone that is from your country, if you
get a feeling that the person is uncaring, unaccommodating (for example direction, list o
of markets near by, doesnt respond to your enquiries fully) then conclude from it indeed.
I have read hear plenty of good experiences with apartments, with owners who went and met their guests outside the metro station, of those who without being asked, provided a list of markets & bakeries etc. in the area.
This should set an example for the probe owners who cars, obviously our owner didn't give a hoot, to say that to ask for a 170 euro a night-for such a place is reaping of the customer, is a an understatement, even a 50 euro a night place, in a seedy area, should be clean,that you can breath in it.

The specific apartment we were told is owned by the sister of the business owner (Henri), who lives up stairs.

Best regards to all, and enjoy your travels.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:39 AM

Sorry for your bad experience and thank you to share it with us. I should remember about this apartm. when will go to Paris, to avoid it.
Thanks again, and you, try to forget the nightmare!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:19 AM

Please leave a review on slowtrav.com for this apartment. That is the site most people will go to for reviews.

By the way, when you rented this place, what did you use for references or reviews? Maybe they were fake.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

To wliwl,
Slowtravel.com was defintly on my list.
If I'm lucky I'll have some time tonight.
As far as ref. no I didn't find any on both sites. Yet I didn't want to judge it based on that only, of course I learend my lesson (which by the way I read about right here-before.lol).All that been said I did try first those that had lovely ref. but they were allready booked (I had about a month & half)and had very good expirences priviousely, before internet was even avail. to see photos & hear others, so I just went by that and of course those great photos he has on his site, and he did indeed sound decent, go figure!we rented in Italy and it was fantastic.
But I will never again rent without ref. infact I recommend to ask them for phone numbers of previous costomers, in your country, I'm in the US.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 03:13 PM

Great!!! I'm due to leave for Paris on the 13th and am scheduled to stay in a Private Paris apt. on Rue de Grenelle.
I sure hope it is better than the one you stayed at, otherwise what a crappy way to start out my dream vacation.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

I have posted on slowtravel.com, and as some of you might know, they need to review it, etc. etc. which might take up to 2 weeks.
I have a question for you who see my post: how did you find it? did you type a specific search or do you actually see it on the side bar, along Euorope?
I have not posted here before, and do not actually see it along the others, only when I click on my screen name. Thanks for responding, and pass on the warnings.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

oops- it just appeared now, what a timing!
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 08:39 AM

I clicked on "France" hit "Search" and you post appeared in the list on the left hand side
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 08:58 AM

As a rule of thumb about most apartments always figure they took the pics with a wide angle lens and with the best furniture they could find for the photo. A few places may actually look like the picture and if you get one that's great, but I'd be inclined to expect less then what a photo shows. That goes for hotel room pictures too - they always use wide angle shots and they always show the "best" room in the photos.

I would NOT put up with dirt/dust and linens that had obvious stains on them tho. I would have expressed my displeasure to the owner right on the spot and asked for the apt. to be cleaned immediately. You can be assertive when it comes to cleanliness.

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Namaka,
I sure hope that by a mircle, yours will be better; however it wouldn't be a bad idea to check for a plan B type of an accomdation, say find a hotel or 2 that have a an easy 24-48 cancelation policy, that you can cancel once you got into the apt. and all is well.
It's possible that my very direct e-mail I sent him will promt him to improve quickly, or better yet that your apt is a whole diffrent story, who knows...
If u are a bit prepared then you'll deal with things more efficiently. We also had our 2 little ones, which made it much less flexsible. Are you traveling with kids?
At any rate, if you have problems, mentioning us, the family that stayed at the apartment at the last part of May, will help you, becouse he'll figure that word does get around.
Try to e-mail him asking in specif who is going to meet you at the apt.
It's better that he does-he owens the little comp. Check things while he is there, even the bed. If there are issues- deal with them right there and there, if you want out of it, do it then. Take even the describtion of his comp. that says Elegent, Lux. apartmets,
Ours was sure not that. In his reply to us he seems to deny, to genralize, to mimimize and is very defensive. He promised to get back to us but havn't yet (4days).
I wish you a completly diffrent expirence. A good one that is. Let us know, yet I must add, even if he took a note of ours and improved, he is still guilty of stealing our moneny and placing a damp on our vaccation.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Lori,

I am aware of the wide angle, yet the space was not an issue, it was rather breathing comfortably in it, using the apt. that was an issue.
Happily I can tell you that we have seen pic. that looked just like the rooms that we got to stay in, few come to mind from recent last trips: The Bishop Lodge in Santa Fe, NM, Amara resorts in Sedona, AZ, Hotel Vitale, in San Francisco, all we were very happy with, all had that "truthtful in visual advertisment". kind of thing.
Why we didn't assert our self on the spot? well we just borded a 7 hours train ride from Italy,and a hot sticky metro, with our 2 young kids (1.5 & 6) who needed a diaper change, food, and fresh air immidiatly.
To be honest with you when the door of the apartment opened - I felt embarrassed for the owner (his sister), it's not a hotel and your instinctive response is a little diffrent then if it would be in a hotel, I would be embarrassed to invite even my kids playdats in that stale air, etc.
So we took care of the baby, and then got out for the rest. When we came back in the late evening it was again; immdiate needs that had to be met, and all along I just felt so bad for my family that I put them through that. The whole point was that we can take it easy for the kids, that we won't have to shuffle them for breakfast out of a hotel, that we can come to an early dinner (homecooked), and yes also that they learn that you can live in a small space. All that of course was not to be.
My husbend and I didn't demend a cleaning the day later either becouse the type of cleaning that was require would take more then a day; it would be messy and we didn't think it was nor healthy for us, nor good for our belonging to betere while it takes place. Of course there is no saying if the defensive women who we met or her brother will see eye to eye on the matter. Nor did we feel safe to leave our belonging with the cleaning persons (I doubt they have anyone).
There was an inch of dust on the hunged tapstery, the curtains needed to be cleaned sepertly-all these made asserting an immdiate cleaning not practicle. But of course this should have not have to be an issue in the first place. The bottom line is that these people were so cheep with their up keep, not only they did not use a prof. cleaning person as promised on their site, or if they did they payed them the minimum to just wipe the visible surfces, they also wouldn't throw away a bloddied sheet!
That's why we figured we are dealing with crooks. So instead of tiring our kids with it, we took them as promised to The Jardin de Luxemburg, and until night fell they had all the fresh air, fun and fantasy Paris had to offer.
Comming to sleep at that apartment was a whole diffrent story, and one that they perhaps will equally remember; they never wanted to play on the carpet there...
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Viaggiare,

I am definitely paying attention to what you are saying. I do just pray and hope that our apt is better than the experience you had. I will be sure to address any issues prior to them leaving. I'll let you know the outcome when I return. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:01 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your terrible experience, and really appreciate it that you took the time to share your it with us.

It surprised me because this agency, Private Paris, was given a positive review on a recent thread here (search title: Paris apartments and arrondisements?), and as you said, the apartments on their website look so beautiful.
It could be that some of their apartments are better kept than others, but I'm not taking chances! Not with all the work I put into our family vacations which we can only afford to have so few and far between.

Again, thanks for your input.
And Namaka, I wish you luck and hope to see a happy report when you come back!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:33 AM

After reading this posts and feeling a little un-nerved, I went back to the web site and to the referral lists. There was only one. Nevertheless, I emailed the person in Italy. She kindly responded that she has rented our apt. many times until she recently bought her own and would recommend it very highly. She said it was very clean. So now my hopes are high that it's fine and maybe it was just viaggiare's apt. I will report when I return, I'm on my way on Tues.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

To Luna & Namaka,

You are wellcome!
So right about not just the money, but also the precious time that is at risk if you get yourself commited to a bad apartment. Especially if you have your family. The unexpected extra expenses of eating all our meals (not to mention the inconvience of it with 2 little ones) outside, was passed the rate had we gotten a suit in a 5 star hotel, not to mention we would have gotten a good night sleep, and not get a presistent cough/sore throat every time we got in there.

If you can't get a place that has at least 2 real ref. and have all your Q. answeared (like type of mattress for example..etc.) I would recommend to go to a hotel, but there are tons of good ones out there. I met a mom at the Jardin de Luxemburg (awesome place for kids & adults alike) that was happy in their apt. She found it through a JustParis.com it's an American comp. here in the States. Another thing is on Verbo.com there are apt. that we liked and spoke with the owners right here in the States. Unfortuntly they were all booked.

By the way more then any refund I'd like to get on this "crappy" experience is that they take down their photos & deceptive info.i.e. a 19th century bldg. calm, elegant, lux. etc. I would hate for anyone to experience it.
I too, in my search, read the positive intial communications with Henry Delmas, the owner of the comp. right here, and that's in fact where I found about them....but I don't recall reading about the actuall expirence. Low and behold I come to think it was Namaka's post....but again it's all history. Wishing the best vaccation of all!

Namaka: Good 4 U! and boy I can't wait to hear about it first hand but first go and have your self a fantastic vaccation.

I need to find the time to write about a great one in Toscany called Il Poggiaccio.it till next time best of all.