Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris apartment rentals with air conditioning?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at renting an aprtment in Paris for a week at the end of June 2007. My hubby is fussy about his sleeping conditions and I know he will require air conditioning, at least as an option if it's too hot to sleep. From what I've been reading, air conditioning is not too prevalent in most of these apartment rentals. Does anyone know if the Parisperfect apartments have it? We are looking to spend about $1500-$2500 a week on our apartment since this will be our belated honeymoon.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Can I be the first to say "good luck". You are right about air con being hard to come by, but you only have a couple of weeks notice to find anything, let alone a place with air.

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:45 AM

The Paris Perfect apartments do not have air conditioning. The owners claim it's never necessary. Our apartment had three floor to ceiling windows (with blackout drapes) for good ventilation. But, the windows faced west - so I'm not too sure how afternoons would be with the sun shining in.

I would highly recommend limiting your apartment search to those with air conditioning. When we visited Paris one June, there was a heat wave - high 90's for more than a week (and it didn't cool down much at night). We were SO grateful for the splendid air conditioning at Hotel Muguet (and this far ahead, the deluxe room with view of the Tour Eiffel may be available).
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:53 AM

my bad, jenblase. I misread your date and thought you were going in a couple of weeks.

Now, with this amount of time, you shouldn't have any trouble finding an apt. with air.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 02:54 PM

Air conditioning is necessary in summer in Paris now. It wasn't necessary 15 years ago, but the climate has changed.

It's very difficult to find apartments with air conditioning, unfortunately. But if you take a place without A/C, you risk ruining your vacation with unbearable heat.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 04:34 PM

Sorry to disagree but the first time I went to Paris was 30 years ago - and it was hot as hell then too - 90's and humid. Not that it's that way all summer - but I'm sure every summer gets those days - at least every summer that I've been there.

I know global warming is going to get all of us soon - but Paris has always had SOME very hot days in the summer.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 04:58 PM

You have plenty of time to find an apartment with air conditioning, now all you need is plenty of money. In my experience, most Paris apts. do not have AC, and those that do (mostly 2 bedrooms here) are pricey. You might want to try these on the vrbo site: #55374, 92761, 66217, 18044, 76435, 86676. Also vacationinparis #117, and goin2travel with three possibilities: rue du cherce midi, paris eiffel tower, and paris penthouse. Most of the above are located in the 6th & 7th. Be sure to inquire and read carefully, for not all rooms are airconditioned in these apartments, as central AC is even harder to find. I've stayed in a bright, sunny Parisperfect apartment and feel it would need AC on a hot summer day. That said, I have my fingers crossed as we've taken a flat without AC for the second week in September. Happy hunting.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't want to put a damper on things - but your hubby needs to understand A/C in Europe is usually nothing like what he is used to back home (in the States I assume)

"air conditioning" might be in only a room or two, and often doesn't cool very much.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:44 PM

We've stayed in Paris Perfect's Romanée apartment which didn't have air conditioning but was lovely otherwise. We didn't love staying in the 7th but lots of folks here do.

Last June/early July we stayed in this apartment in the 6th:

www.sant.com

The A/C was only in the bedroom (I believe). We did use it a couple of times since it was quite muggy/humid. We had also stayed there the previous November and felt that the housekeeping had slipped. There are other reviews here that you can search on.

In a couple of weeks we'll be staying in this apartment in the Marais which has A/C (not sure if it's the entire flat but it gets good reviews here so I can update you when we get back).

http://bienvenueaparis.com/apt-bourg.htm

Best of luck!
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:56 PM

I think one of the Parisperfect apts has AC, at least I remember reading a post by someone who claimed one did. I would expect any place that had it would definitely mention it, though, not be silent, as it would be a distinct selling point and affect the rent.

Given your hustband is fussy and you are only there a week, I'd just stay in a nice hotel myself where you can have a nice room with AC.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
As much as I enjoy staying in flats, if (working) a/c is that important, I agree w/ Christina. Just stay in an upscale hotel w/ a/c. In most flats it is an add-on and pretty inefficient
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies - I was looking at the Parisperfect website more thoroughly tonight, and I think that the Romanee apt. is the one that has the air conditioning, at least in a couple of the rooms.

I think if we just had a unit in the bedroom we'd (he'd) be fine, rather than a futile search for an apartment with central air.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Hi Jen, as I said earlier, we stayed in the Romanée apartment but I don't recall it having A/C. We were there for Valentine's Weekend so clearly that wasn't a concern.

Anyway, the ParisPerfect staff are terrific so I'm sure if you outline your needs they'll do their best to accommodate you. Congratulations on your marriage and for choosing Paris for your honeymoon!
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 06:06 PM

I'm a fan of apartmenthotels...I stayed in the Citadines Bastille during that blazing hot summer a few years back when it was 108! We were SO grateful to have that AC!

Margy
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 06:11 PM

Another thing you don't always find is dryers. Washing machines, yes but they claim it's warm enough to line dry, which if true, might suggest the need for AC.

Some older hotels lack AC too.

Plus in the summer, there's sunlight until what, 10 PM?
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 02:35 AM

don't know if you are aware of it, but a lovely looking hotel in the 7th A. called Relais Bosquet has 2 apartments nearby - the larger one appears to be just down the street.

We are stayng there next month and I booked it last September.

They are air conditioned, well recommended on trip advisor, and have promotional weekly rates.

You might want to take a look.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 02:49 AM

Although we haven't used them, a friend of ours recommended yellowstay as having nice apartments http://www.paris.yellowstay.com/. When we were making arrangements for our trip this summer, I noticed that they have several apartments, mostly in the Marais, with a/c. So there's another option!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 03:27 AM
kdcwood

See this post from another message board: http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a...2755#547102755

One of the posts has a list of Paris apartments with A/C.

We rented in Paris for two weeks in late August/early September 2004. We had a fourth floor apartment (sunny) with no A/C. We did have a couple of fans. My husband also gets very hot at night. We just positioned one of the fans to give him maximum benefit at night (bedroom was in a loft). We were fine, and I enjoyed the breezes coming in the windows.

Kathy

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 03:53 AM

Having a place without A/C in summer in Paris is like having a place without heat in winter. If you can stand the latter, you can probably stand the former.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 09:10 AM

Air-con is essential in a hot spell. Parisdeluxerentals.com has nice apartments with a/c.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -