Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris...and then where (small village recommendation request)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking a trip to France in June. I'm planning to spend a total of ten days; split roughly 50/50 between Paris and one other location. We are looking for a recommendation of a country village, within striking distance of Paris.

We may rent a car, or may take the train.

We're looking to do things like ride bikes, enjoy wine, and soak in the culture. Ideal town would be quaint, with good food, nice wine. I'm thinking something in the mountains or hills, maybe a small coastal village / channel islands on the Atlantic, or maybe a charming village in wine country.

We're mid-30s, married with no kids from Manhattan. We are looking for low-key, upscale / mid-level type of place. Not interested in clubbing, or wild nightlife.

Looking forward to some great recommendations!
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 12:15 PM
ira

Hi AB,

>....married with no kids from Manhattan.<

Where are the kids from?

A few suggestions:

Train to Strasbourg, rent a car and spend several days in Alsace

Train to Dijon, rent a car and spend several days in Burgundy

Train to Avignon, rent a car and spend a couple of days in Provence

Is this your first visit to Paris?

Old Mar 9th, 2011, 01:02 PM

Play it by ear. You may fall in LOVE with Paris and want to stay. However, maybe head north to Normandy or Brittany coast.
OR go somewhere that you can train directly back to CDG for your departure. It will make a big difference in transit time.
Maybe go to your "out of Paris" experience first, rent a car at CDG and strike out. Return, stay in Paris, and then you're ready to depart. There is a lot of magic in a final night IN Paris, unhurried, and taxi to the airport the morning of flight. Might be more fun than a rush to the airport from "wherever". Just a thought.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 01:46 PM

We liked the village of Petit Andelys, next to "big" Andelys and near Château de Gaillard of Richard the Lion Heart. In Petit Andelys you could spend several pleasant days at La Chaîne d'Or, a small hotel right on the bank of the river Seine. The restaurant is excellent, but there are several options in the village. With a car you can visit the village of Lyons-la-Forêt and a number of the churches on the abbey road. You could also head over to Rouens for a day, leave the car, and take the train back to Paris.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 03:10 PM

Har har, ira!

I'm leaning toward the entire time in Paris also. There are plenty of side trips do-able by car, train or even tours from there.

Hub and I took a bus tour of castles (cityrama out of Paris). Upon returning from Chenenceau, I remarked that the nearby area looked very pleasant. Other Fodorites can give you specific chateau towns.

It is on my bucket list but seeing the Bayeux Tapistry in Bayeux might fill the bill if you do decide to rent a car for a couple of days. Again, on my list but I've read the Honfleur is quite lovely.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 03:34 PM

In Brittany, we love Dinard in June. Great walking, eating, swimming, sailing etc.