Ideas for 3-4 days after Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be accompanying my husband again this year when he attends the Paris auto show at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct. We usually hop on a budget flight after he is done with business and head off for a few days. This year, however, we will be traveling with our new daughter (she will be 3 months at the time) and I would rather not have to worry about luggage restrictions and crowded flights the first time we travel with her so we are thinking about renting a car (husband drives frequently in foreign countries and we have rented in and out of CDG before) or taking a short train trip somewhere for 3-4 days. We go to Paris frequently so staying in the city is not the way we would like to spend the extra days.

We have already been through Normandy and the south of France. What about the Atlantic coast? We like really out of the way places and enjoy getting lost and finding new places. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 02:29 PM

Lyons would be a nice 3 day trip. Food, sights, architecture, museums..TGV from CDG, come back to there, fly home

Renting a car, the Loire could be a good. Chateaux, small villages, slow pace, etc.. you could plan a loop to come back via Chartres.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 02:35 PM

The Atlantic Coast is anything but "out of the way," but a trip to La Rochelle and Ile de Ré and Saintes and other nearby places would be lovely that time of year. You could take the train to La Rochelle and drive around from there.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 04:10 PM

There are a lot of options. What are your interests. Do you want to go one place or perhaps a couple of overnight stops. Two loops you could consider are Rouen- Honfleur - Normandy Beaches - Mt St Michelle or Strasbourg -Verdun - Reims
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 07:45 AM
ira

Hi A,

Take the TGVest to Nancy or Strsbourg - about 2:15 hr. PREMS fares of 17E.

Also look for IDTGV specials.

Rent a car.

Visit Alsace.

Train back to Paris.

You could also try a visit to Dijon and Burgundy.

Old Jul 24th, 2008, 02:47 PM
brodypetey

I'd skip Chartres, if I had my day trip to do over again. The cathedral and town are lovely, but the inhabitants are horribly rude! I didn't encounter a single nice person the whole time I was there. Even the shopkeeper (who presumably wanted to sell things) looked at me like I was something unpleasant stuck to the bottom of her shoe.
I could not WAIT to get back to the very nice people of Paris!