Paris and Provence weather April, May, and June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide if I should change my travel plans from mid through end of April to the end of May through the beginning of June. My husband is concerned about the weather in northern France in April. <BR><BR>When we first planned our trip I could only go during spring break but now I have more flexibility. Would May into June be a better choice?<BR><BR>Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 08:35 AM

Hard to say for certain, but May to June in all likelihood would be warmer.<BR><BR>I've been in Paris at both the end of April and the end of May, and in Provence during mid May. <BR><BR>In Paris in April, we had one raw rainy day, one overcast day with a bit of a nip in the air, and two gorgeous,warm, sunny days. In May we had mostly gorgeous, warm sunny days, with one or two cloudy chilly days thrown in.<BR><BR>Provence in mid-May was still sweater weather for the most part, although it was pleasantly warmer during the mid-day hours. We were also there during the mistral, so it was quite windy. Seems to reason that it would indeed be warmer in June--then again, mother nature is a fickle mistress!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 10:07 AM

I have found that Paris in April is usually on the rainy side -- very similar to New England weather. May is usually drier and warmer and the gardens will be in bloom.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:17 PM

Can only comment on my one experience (the month of May 2001). The first 2 weeks were chilly with some rain (not heavy); the last 2 weeks were downright hot - short sleeves. As most say the weather is unpredictable. But if you're worried about rain I'd shoot for the latter part of May.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 09:30 PM

I've been to PAris 8 times and April was our very coldest rainiest trip. The wind was ICY, and our umbrellas were turning inside out! I would puch it back as late as possible. I went end of May-first week June last year and it was sunny &amp; warm 5-1/2/7 days. One night it absolutely poured. I considered ourselves lucky.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 05:48 AM

Anyone who plans travel around weather is bound to be disapointed - you just cannot control it! However, I studied abroad in Paris one year from January to June and can tell you that weather varies from day-to-day. Its possible to have rain 2 days in a row of rain and then three days of gorgeous sun, followed by 2 overcast/partly cloudy days with no rain! <BR><BR>Check out http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/place.pl?pla=paris<BR>for historical weather data.<BR><BR>Regarding Provence, our tour guide said that 90% of their yearly rainfall occurs in the fall (September - November). The summer is hot and super dry. April, May and June should have very similar weather, with June being a bit drier and warmer.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 09:05 AM

Only a foul can predict Paris weather!!!you never know what is going to be like!!! I was there in june and I had to buy a sweater because I was freezing, it was damp ,cold and rainy; and a couple of days later was stiffling hot and humid.The Parisians always carry a small foldable umbrella in their bags for this reason.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies. Although it would seem that May would have warmer and drier weather, it does seem like Paris' weather is rather fickle, and April and May are really a toss-up. <BR><BR>I was very seriously thinking about changing our plans if the weather would be much nicer. But since we already have tickets for the ballet and restaurant reservations for April, and it will cost between $100-200 to change my travel plans to May, I think I might stick to April due to the fact that even the middle of May into June can be cool and rainy. <BR><BR>Decisions, decisions. Well, I definitely have to decide by Monday. Any further comments or advice are welcome.