Paris & French Countryside

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a retired couple (mid-60's) planning a 2 week trip to Paris and the French Countryside in late May or early June 2011. We have been to Paris twice before and on the last trip also spent several days touring Normandy, Giverny, Bayeux, Mont St. Michel and Versailles.

We are looking for recommendations for a tour company that can help us arrange the itinerary for a private tour (10 to 14 days) of the French countryside (including Loire Valley) with our own dedicated English speaking driver/guide for late May or early June 2011. Our basic plan would be to spend a few days in Paris on our own before leaving on the countryside tour. We need someone who can help us choose accommodations (somewhat upscale) and fine dining options as well as places to go and points of interest to see.

I've spent some time on the internet researching tour operators but for the most part all I've found are companies that do 1 or 2 day trips originating in Paris.

We did something similar in Italy a few years ago and found it a most enjoyable experience and worth every penny of the cost.

We appreciate any suggestions you may be able to offer. Thanks!
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 09:04 AM

That isn't really the run-of-the-mill thing that those day bus excursion companies do or any popular tour company, it's more something a high-end travel agent can set you up with. I don't know who does that kind of thing, but I do subscribe to COnde Nast Traveler magazine and once a year or so they publish a list of high-end travel agents, by specialty or country area, and I'm sure one of them might be able to help you. What you want is really a good travel agent.
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 09:07 AM

I believe this is their link online, not sure if it includes everything in the magazine or not.

http://www.concierge.com/tools/travelagentfinder/europe
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 09:17 AM

These guys have a VG reputation. Do organized and private. But €€€

http://www.butterfield.com/France.aspx
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Michel - I came across Butterfield in my initial search but thought they only did bike tours (not interested in that). I'll check with them to see if they can do the private driver/guide.

Christina - thanks for the Conte Nast link. I'll look further.

Yes, I know a good TA would be of help but I live in the Caribbean and their no such thing as a good TA on our island. That's why I was asking for suggestions.

Lastly, understand that what I'm seeking could be pricey but that's not a major consideration.
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 09:42 AM

Roams,
I'll see what else I can find.

There are also a couple of travel mags dedicated to France, written in english, based out of UK. France Today is one.
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 09:59 AM

Some thoughts..

http://www.francetoday.com/travel/guides/barging_guide/
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 10:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I know that French Mystique Tours is a very small and personal operation that can design absolutely any tour that you want. They can almost make lots of suggestions if you are unsure of what is worth seeing, and they an include just about anything that might interest you on a whim.

Here is a link for you to check out: http://www.frenchmystiquetours.com/
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 10:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
an = can (obviously)
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 10:13 AM
cw

I have no personal experience with this agent but she writes a blog for Paris Vacation Apartments (very nice apartments!): http://www.ciaobellatours.com/
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM

I don't think you have to live in the same place as a good travel agent, that is why I suggested the CN list. Top-end agents work with clients from all over, not just in the city where they are located.
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 11:21 AM

I have met the young couple that run French Mystique tours and they are charming and very knowledgeable. He is American, his wife French. I would certainly give them a long look.
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info and links.

Christina - I know I don't have to live in the same place as a good TA - it's more a matter of identifying a great one who specializes in France and the type of tour we would like to do. I found an excellent one using the internet who was actually based somewhere in Texas when we did our Italian tour but unfortunately she only does Italy. On the other hand, we were very disappointed with the TA we used to help plan our second Paris/Normandy trip as the end result was nowhere near as enjoyable. That's why I asked Fodorites experts on the European Forum for some recommendations. I'm already pursuing the CN leads you gave me. Thanks.

P.S. I'm a very active contributor on the Caribbean Forum.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 04:14 AM

Kerouac and Avalon beat me to it recommending French Mystique Tours. They, especially he, are active posters on this board and have shared a wealth of information.

If you search FrenchMystiqueTours on this board you'll see the wide and deep range of his knowledge and the personal quality of his answers. And his sense of humor and camera skills.

FMT has done a number of reports on trips by bike and by car. The first one he did caught my attention and I've been a fan ever since. Biking the Marne River I think was the first, and it's delightful.

He is especially knowledgeable about the French countryside.
That's our favorite thing about France and I'm so glad to hear from someone who's going outside of Paris and the big towns. France treasures its beautiful villages (there are about 150 officially Plus Beaux Villages). There is also an annual contest for towns and villages to get the Ville/Village Fleuri award. Four flowers is the top award. We visited some 4-flower towns this September and they were spectacular.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 05:32 AM

I forgot to include this link to a brief report from someone who asked French Mystique Tours to plan a day trip to her ancestral village a few hours from Paris.

http://tinyurl.com/34kty22
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 06:35 AM

RoamsAround, I have been giving FrenchMystique Tours a very long look for my next trip. His photos essays are superb and he is generous with his knowledge. Although, I’m not a ‘tour’ person, I think it would be wonderful for the French countryside. Given that I know Paris fairly well, I have no desire to be guided around Paris. The 7-day regional tours intrigue me, for the destinations, price and the small group size-limit 7 people. We have also discussed a more personalized tour and he has some great ideas.

I used the Provence tour to get a sense of price comparison, since I once spent a week there on my own. They came out about even. My time was beautiful but I feel that I would have seen much more with the advantage of great company and the expertise of Bruce and Véronique.

Here are 9 of FMT’s photo essays, to give his sense of travel, http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...i?board=france