Search

Short Madagascar tours

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short Madagascar tours

Does anybody know of any websites and/or companies that offer short, 4-5 day tours in Madagascar? I'd perfer ones that have a cultural focus, but it's not a must. The ones I've come across lately are for longer periods. If anyone knows please post a reply. Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:37 AM

Even though their website doesn't list anything as short as what your after, I would try Zà-Tours --
http://www.zatours-madagascar.com/contact.htm
As I understand it, they are one of only three companies with English speaking guides; most of the Malagasy market is geared to the French. I did not deal with them directly since I had to work through the agent who was booking the rest of my trip (and I would NOT do that again) but my impression is they would put something together for you, enthusiastically. My guides, like the Malagasy people, were delightful.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:10 AM

It sounds like you need to speak a good agent. I would recomend getting an English speaking guide and driver. They will make a tour based upon your intrests that includes culture stuff. 4 days is a very short time to see very much. Madagascar travel is tough due to the transportation issues i.e. road conditions. I have also heard good things about Dodo Travel http://www.dodotravel.com/ in Madagascar and we loved Boogie Pilgrim Travel Agency http://www.boogiepilgrim-madagascar.com/. Both of those are local companies that understand the culture. If you wish to speak to someone in the USA call Cortez Travel http://www.air-mad.com/ They have an office in So Cal. These are probably the three biggest and safest bets. There are tons of small agents and internet hustling guides out there. Buyer beware.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:52 AM

http://www.jenmansafaris.com/countri...ar/default.htm

they tailor make almost everything.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:21 PM

I've found that many accommodation providers/lodges in Mad function as local/regional tour organisers and will gladly organise 4-5 day tours. Most of the tourists who travel in Mad are the independent types who don't pre-plan extensively and want to organise their activities a day or two in advance at most, and the tourism industry has developed to accommodate them.

I'll be doing one from Morondava up to Tsingy de Bemaraha via Kirindy that was organised on request by Chez Maggie, and another from Maroantsetra to the Masoala Peninsula via Nosy Mangabe organised by Arollodge. We decided to follow this way of arranging our travels after e-mail and phone conversations with Tana-based tour operators (who wanted to charge 100 euro just to plan the itinerary...which WE gave them), and with friends and scientific research colleagues, some of whom have lived and worked in Mad for decades.

FWIW, our tours are working out to roughly USD$90/day inclusive of everything save lunch, dinner and drinks - i.e., includes 4x4 transport (and fuel!), guides, permits, accommodation, equipment, etc. I bought the internal flights directly from the Air Mad office in S Africa.

I don't have the experience to refute what Pula claims re: "one of only three companies with English speaking guides" but we're having no problem with guarantees of guides that speak fluent English. Our French is passable enough, so it won't be a train smash if that doesn't work out...

For my part, I would rather not pay a hectic markup to a foreign tour operator just for peace of mind. Living in Africa and having travelled a fair bit here, I'm not concerned about looking after my own mosquito net and safe drinking water, or arguing with a taxi driver about an unreasonable fare even if I don't speak Malagasy. Others may want to be insulated from those kinds of 'authentic' experiences

Having said that, when a researcher friend told me that a cautious travelling companion of his got a nasty E coli infection from eating a bit of lettuce tucked into a sandwich at a high end hotel restaurant, there's little a high end tour operator can do to insulate you...save to recommend you go to Dubai or Disneyland for your holiday instead ;-)

HTH

Kurt