Paris & Bordeaux in Nov - Weather & Clothing Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending 4 days in Paris (Nov 1-4) then to Bordeaux for 7 days, back to Paris for 3 days - coming home on the 15th. Although I have been to Paris many times I have always visited in the very early spring or mid summer. I have never been to Bordeaux. What will the weather be like - I really hate to overpack. We will be visiting museums, shopping, etc & will not need dress-up clothing.
Thank you
1jan1
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 02:01 PM

Hi
Can only help you with Paris. Visited early February, which I gather is similar to November. Quite cold - I live in Ireland where we do not have extremes of hot or cold - it rarely falls below zero in winter. Paris was cold for me - I needed plenty of layers. There was no rain but the sky was overcast and cloudy everyday. Our hotel had good central heating which I was very grateful for! I found good walking boots and ski socks a great help - my friend, who does not feel the cold as much as I do, was more comfortable with the temperature. We had both visited Berlin and Poland at the same time the previous year and it was freezing - snow and minus temperatures we had never experienced. Hope this is of some help
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Seandubh,
Thanks for the info...guess I will plan on layers and an all weather coat.
Did you wear silk long underware?
1jan1
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 03:43 AM

I haven't been to Bordeaux in November, but keep in mind that, they grow grapes (and produce spectacular wine) in Bordeaux (and not Ireland) for a reason. It is sheltered although likely to be a little on the damp side. So I expect it won't be any colder than Paris, unless you venture over to the coast.

As for Paris, I wouldn't characterise the climate as cold in November. Then again, I'm Canadian. French people are already starting to wander around the city in woolly sweaters and scarves, but I think this is just because French people have scarves surgically attached to their necks.

It is damp, which can make you feel colder. It will rain. Not every day, and probably not all day on days that it rains. But I've generally found in the year or so since I've lived here that if the weather forecast says 20% chance of rain today, that means, in fact, that it will rain about 20% of the day (usually in the form of torrential downpours that last 10-30 minutes).

What does that translate into for packing purposes? As others have suggested, layers, including a few waterproof ones. Cashmere sweaters (lightweight), twinsets, a pashmina or two that you can wrap around your neck - it will make you look very French - or use on your bed as a throw. Younger French women seem to go for the layered look, too, when they are dressing casually (e.g. tshirt or tank, vneck sweater or cardigan, scarf, etc.) A pair of lightweight wool or thinsulite gloves. At least two pairs of comfortable walking shoes (preferably at least one pair that is water-resistant), since you are likely to soak one pair of shoes on at least one day of your trip.

Depending your willingness (or not) to look like a tourist, avoid bringing overly sporty clothes and shoes (e.g. hiking boots, down jackets, etc).

You say that you don't need dress-up clothing, but don't forget that you will be in Paris and it is fun to dress up a little when you go out at night. This doesn't mean that you need to pack heels, dresses, skirts, etc if you don't want to - but think about bringing some festive/slinky/sexy separates for a few evenings out - if you like dressing this way at home from time to time.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 03:54 AM

Bordeaux has a very maritime climate (i.e. damp and windy at that time of the year).

For temperature and precipitation historic data on the Gironde département see http://www.meteofrance.fr/FR/climat/...?LIEUID=DEPT33 and click on "caractéristiques climatiques".
Bring your umbrella...
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 06:30 AM
ira

Hi 1J,

If you are thinking of visiting Arcachon and the ocean, you will need a windbreaker and a scarf.

It gets very windy.

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Here's a huge recommendation for long silk underwear or Cuddl Duds (takes up no room in suitcase, perfect "extra" layer, double as pj's/loungewear), cashmere sweaters/twin sets (maximum warmth, minimum space/weight), and a hooded raincoat.

If you live near a TJMaxx, I've collected beautiful cashmere sweaters at very low ($30) prices. Macy's usually has a large assortment as well. Best to shop when they go on sale on a "customer appreciation" day with your Macy's card.

For cold weather, I always pack Cuddl Duds, cashmere sweaters, hooded raincoat, and a wool blazer that fits comfortably under the raincoat. Perfect layers for cold weather!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 09:26 AM

It is a short trip. Take 2-3 pair of trousers and 1 or 2 skirts and mix/match with several shirts. I would take along a light rain coat (I have a microsuede one with a detachable hood) and a sweater to layer for warmth as needed. Should be just about right. If you are too cold, you can always buy another sweater there.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 09:32 AM

ankle waterproof boots! aquatalia -- Julie/Julia -- check them out on zappos. Most comfy shoes I've ever worn (and I have mephistos, aerosoles, etc) -- and they have a 2 1/2 inch rubber heel. I'm serious -- these are more comfortable than my avia and adidas gym shoes.

It's very unpleasant to have rainwater soak through the seams of your shoes and get your socks wet. ech.