Search

Paris, alone!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2017, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris, alone!

Hi, guys -

I'm considering a trip to Paris by myself for a few days in October. I've been to Paris 3 times already, but this will be my first time visiting alone. In fact, it'll be my first time travelling alone, ever.

Though I've never travelled alone, I've travelled quite a bit with friends and family, so I'm not really too nervous about it. What I'm looking for is advice about both solo travel and solo travel in Paris specifically.

I chose Paris as my first solo travel destination because I love it there, and I feel more comfortable travelling alone for the first time to somewhere I'm somewhat familiar with.

A few factors to consider:

Since I've been to Paris a few times already, I've seen many of the big tourist-y, "must-see" things. This time, I'm specifically looking to relax, eat, and just take in and enjoy the city (rather than trying to cram is as much as possible). So if you can suggest quieter, lesser-known museums, restaurants, parks, sights, etc., I'd appreciate that.

Also, I'll probably only be in Paris for a few days (4 tops) and then I'll be moving on to visit family in Austria.

I'm a 33-year-old woman, single, very active, and vegetarian. (just in case these factors matter!)

Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions on things I should do, things I should avoid, and any tips or advice on solo travel you're willing to give.

Thanks so much for your help!

- Sabrina
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 06:40 PM

I've been to Europe more than ten times solo (including four trips that included Paris). Personally, I can't imagine the constraints of having to travel WITH someone!

I'm not sure what kind of advice you are seeking in regards to traveling solo? It sounds like you are just a little nervous. Just some re-assurance that it will be OK?

Could be you will feel awkward eating alone in restaurants, if you aren't used to doing that at home. I admit, that is one thing I am not keen on in Europe (though I still do sometimes), in part because I'm not really a "foodie." In Europe, restaurant patrons aren't expected to rush through dinner as they sometimes are in the US - it's routine to spend a few hours at a restaurant with family and friends and take your time, and the servers probably won't rush you.

But when I eat solo, I generally don't want/need to dwell like that. I usually have a book with me, but at some point, I just want to get out of there and go back to my hotel and relax. Yet it can be hard sometimes to flag down the server and ask for the check - I often feel awkward about doing it, but otherwise I might have to wait forever for the server to wander over - because he/she doesn't want to appear rude by appearing to rush you. I have learned to be more assertive and just flag someone down, get the check, and get out of there once I'm done.

I sometimes avoid sit-down restaurants entirely when I travel to Europe, unless there's a specific type of food or restaurant I really want to enjoy. (E.g. getting Italian food in Bologna.) Otherwise, I'm more apt to find a more casual restaurant or even eat fast food. Sometimes I get something to go and eat it outdoors on a park bench or something (a pizza or something) or just take it back to my hotel. More than once, I've ordered a pizza to go from a restaurant - saves me a lot of time, and I don't have to feel awkward.

If Paris were new to you, I'd suggest taking a walking tour, where you'd be more likely to meet and interact with other travelers, solo or otherwise. But clearly you know Paris beyond needing some introductory walking tour. But there are probably other walking tours you could take in more specific areas or something.

Paris has some beautiful parks. You've probably been to the amazing Jardin du Luxembourg. You could check out Parc Monceau if you've not seen it - nice park (I guess it's in the 8th - always thought of it as being in the 17th). You could also do day trips by train to say Rouen (or Monet's Giverny - if it's still worth seeing by October).
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 06:44 PM

I love being solo in Paris. This May will be the fifth time on my own but ninth to the city, having visited on previous trips with husband, sister and daughter.

i've stayed at hotels in the 1st, 14th, 9th and 6th. Staying in the 6th again this time, close to the St. Germain Batobus stop, trying that for the first time.

I can recommend Paris by Mouth for any of their excellent tours (I did the St. Germain tour with them), Paris Walks for their marvelous choice of two hour walks of the various quarters as well as Paris Greeters. These are solo friendly and a good way to meet others traveling on their own. At a Fodor GTG I met up with a Canadian gentleman and a gal from Chicago who decided to join me on two Paris Walks in the following days. Solo does not mean you have to be alone unless you prefer it.

Small museums:
Jacquemart-Andre (lunch here)
Musee Cernuschi
Musee Nissim-de-Camondo
Cluny/Musee National du Moyen Age

Parks:
Jardin du Luxembourg
Park Monceau

Restaurants:
Le Souffle
Boullion Racine
Les Deux Magots
Le Grand Vefour
The Ritz for afternoon tea
Boullion Chartier
La Coupole
Fouquettes
Le Relais de L'Entrecote
Cafe Hugo
Valentin in Passage Jouffroy
La Rotonde
Aux Lyonnais
Jules Vern
Le Grand Colbert

And walking, walking, walking.
Enjoy!
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 06:48 PM

There are some good suggestions on here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...e-required.cfm
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 07:51 PM

Ditto on the Paris by Mouth tours. I did the St. Germain one 2 years ago (almost to the day) when I was in Paris solo. The groups are small and so it's easy to start conversations as you're traveling to the different shops and then again once you sit down to enjoy everything at the end. Even though you're familiar with Paris, a little culinary adventure I'd think would always present something new.

You could also look into a cooking class (macaron, baking, crepes, croissants, French dishes etc). I did one with La Cuisine which wasn't really 'necessary' since I can make macarons just fine, but it was more something to experience and maybe see if I could pick up a new tip or two and overall I enjoyed it.
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 11:49 PM

I'd recommend staying in a hotel, where the front desk staff could sort of keep an eye on you, which might make you feel more comfortable. Staying alone in an apartment will likely make you feel isolated, and you might resist the temptation to go out and see the city. Plus, there is an on-going crack-down by the Mayor's Office in effect, which makes things complicated.

There are no secrets to traveling alone. You will be your own best companion. People are friendly, waiters won't ignore you, you can do what you like within any time frame which suits you.

Just don't bury your nose in a book or smartphone while you're at a cafe or restaurant. You'll lose good opportunities for conversation.

Have a look at this website, which might give you some new ideas:
http://www.pariszigzag.fr/
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 11:51 PM

Also, eating vegetarien won't be a problem, and you do not have to limit yourself to natural restaurants. If you eat eggs and cheese, you have no problem.
You can also go to ethnic restaurants - Asian and Indian restaurants are all over the place, feature vegetarien menus and are inexpensive.
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 12:58 AM

Travelchat beat me with the same recs for museums.
Alas she went to la rotonde when it was nice. It changed. Suffice to say you could find the toilets by their smell. Was there in December.

Vegetarian is no big deal in Paris most if not all restaurants have at least one veggie meal.
I recommend staying in the 18th or 16th to change from the touristy central arrondissement.
Close to Batignolles or close to sacre coeur are two of my fav places.
If you give me a budget I can help.

I often dine alone although I prefer with company.
However one of the last times I was alone I met a fantastic Canadian guy doing research on medieval literature. Fascinating. The guy was also pleased that I kept the discussion in French since most guys he meets would take the opportunity to practice their English ;-)
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the awesome advice, everybody! I've got lots to look up now.
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 04:34 PM
kja

I'm completely addicted to traveling alone -- won't do it any other way, as it is a great self-indulgence! You might find some ideas and inspiration from this thread:
http://www.fodors.com/community/trav...collection.cfm