Paris - Airport to the City

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris - Airport to the City

What is the best way to travel into Paris after arrival at Charles de Gaulle Airport?
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:59 PM

Taxi.
They are lined up outside of the arrivals building, you just walk out the door with your luggage and get in one. We have never had one that was unpleasant, they usually enjoy giving a mini guided tour as they drive into the city. The speak English, a little at least, and in my experience have always been nice.
And we are always so jetlagged, it is so nice to let someone take over and just get us to that hotel!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 07:20 PM

Taxi. Just be sure you get in a Taxi Parisien (look at the moniker on the top of the taxi). It will cost you about 40-50 euros, but it's by far the best and fastest way there.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 07:30 PM

Definitely, head for the taxi stand.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:43 PM
jpm

Took the train from the city to the airport just last week. It cost 92 cents and was as easy as could be. Of course it helped that we only had one piece of luggage.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 02:08 AM

I'm another fan of using the RER line train. That is, of course, if you have manageable luggage.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 02:39 AM

The RER does NOT cost $0.92 to get to the airport but it is the cheapest way. It costs about $7. When you travel on the RER be sure to keep your ticket because you must insert it in the turnstile slot in order to exit.
A taxi is the best way after a tiring trip as most have suggested.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 04:17 AM

Taxi is convenient and costs about $40-45. The RER/subway is much less expensive (as stated, $7 and not $0.92), but not very convenient if you have luggage or are not certain where you're going.

Air France also operates a comfortable bus from the airport to downtown for about $10-12 per person; you can take the bus whether or not you took an Air France flight. There are two bus routes -- one goes to the Place Etoile (Arc de Triomphe/Champs Elysees) and the Porte Maillot on the left bank, and the second route goes to Montparnasse and Gare de Lyon on the right bank. For one or two people traveling from the airport to downtown, it is a bit less expensive to take the AF bus, then take a taxi to your hotel.

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 05:21 AM
jpm

Gretchen, I agree with you, just stating my experience.

We switched from the Metro to the RER at Les Halles. I thought we would need to buy a ticket but we walked off the metro, around the corner, and onto the RER train. There were no turnstiles at all once we arrived at the airport.

So for us it cost 92 cents. But even $7 would be well worth the cost if you have minimal luggage and minimal connections.

Each person would need to do the math - obviously for a larger group a taxi may well be cheaper or more convienient.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 08:53 AM

I always take the RER, but recognize that those who are not familiar with Paris might not feel comfortable about using public transportation upon arriving in Paris. So take a taxi the first time, take the RER when leaving, and the next time you visit, yoou can choose according to your own experience.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 09:04 AM

Just another thought.

I agree that it can be a bit intimidating to take the RER on your first arrival into Paris, but my husband and I did it with no problem after studying maps and knowing ahead of time which stop we needed to get off at.

Not for everyone, but it is doable. If "I" could do it, I think just about anyone can. However, it's a personal call.

Enjoy your trip, fwcraford.

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 10:03 AM

It also depends on where you are staying. We stayed less then 2 blocks from RER Luxembourgh station, so it was very simple.
We are from Chicago, so the train wasn't too intimidating. The one thing that was a little confusing was the differnence between the RER and Metro. We had the longest walk of the whole trip changing at the Chatalet station from one train to the other!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 10:13 AM
CalgirlSusan

It's so refreshing to not see a list of people recommending those silly shuttles that you have to call when you arrive, wait for them to come get you, and then stop at other hotels on the way, and end up costing as much for two people as a taxi! Taxis are the best!

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 10:29 AM

JPM, you were on the RER with an incorrect ticket. If the RER guards had caught you using a Metro ticket to use the RER into the suburbs you’d have been fined. I think it’s about 50 euro per violation.

When going to the airport you’re supposed to buy a ticket at the Metro where you start which includes the Metro and RER portions of your trip. The reverse from the airport is true too the RER ticket you purchase to get into the city will be valid on the Metro for you to complete your trip.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 10:41 AM

jpm, I had almost the same experience as you did the last time I took the RER to CDG (switched from the Metro to the RER at St-Michel without having to buy an RER ticket), with one big exception: when I got off the RER at the airport, there WERE turnstiles, and since I didn't have an RER ticket to insert, I couldn't exit through them. I looked around for somewhere to pay the fare, but there was nobody in sight, so I ended up having to crawl under the turnstile, after having pushed my suitcase through ahead of me. I was sure I'd be arrested by someone who saw the whole thing on a surveillance camera, and that I wouldn't be able to explain in French that I really intended to pay the fare but never had the chance to do so. Fortunately, that didn't happen, but I've always wondered what I should have done differently to avoid this situation.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 11:36 AM

indytravel, you must have posted while I was typing: I just saw your response, which answers my question. I'm surprised that I've never seen this issue discussed anywhere else, as it would seem to be a trap that a lot of unwary tourists must fall into.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 12:30 PM
lafrancaise

It is very easy. After you arrive from your international flight, go down one level to the RER and take it into the city. Once in Paris, you then can take a Metro to the stop nearest your hotel. It is very convenient and easy to do.

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 01:07 PM

Bree,

I did something similar in London last year.

I accidentally took the wrong train into the city from Gatwick. Unlike the Express, this one didn't have conductors selling tickets during the trip and I had to bull my way through the turnstile at the end. Fortunately I wasn't arrested, and received a free ride.

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 01:08 PM

Bree,

We did the SAME thing on our return to CDG. However, as my husband jumped the turnstile (since there was no other choice), I insisted he go buy two proper tickets before I would pass thru. I refused to go with him and possibly be arrested on the last leg of our trip.

He tells me to this day that he should have just left me there since I'm such a "rule follower." Ha!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 09:19 PM

As stated above take a taxi outside the arrivals hall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -