Reload this Page >

Paris Advice for 4th-Timer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 09:14 PM
Lexma90

In September we're visiting Paris for several days at the end of a trip to southwest France. We've been to France before, and have been to most (all??) of the top sights &amp; sites recommended in guidebooks (though the Rodin museum is on the list for this time, and another visit to the Louvre if we can fit it in).<BR><BR>What would those of you familiar with Paris suggest next? We like people-watching, wandering along streets, seeing historic or intriguing old buildings, and would love suggestions of neighborhoods to investigate and/or some of the less well-known museums. We're not really into shopping, and we have our dinner restaurants picked out already. Is Montmartre a good idea? What else? Where do you like to wander? While wandering, where would you eat along the way (for lunch)?

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 10:09 PM
Ann

There is a book "Slow walks in Paris" by Michael Leitch which I found excellent when living in Paris. <BR><BR>For museums, I loved Chateau Malmaison at Rueil Malmaison, Musee Jacquemart Andre on boulevard Haussman, Musee Nissim de Camondo, parc Monceau. They all are restored/preserved as they might have been, which appeals to me more than looking a things in glass cases. Similarly, because reading is one of my great interests, Maison de Balzac and Maison de Victor Hugo.<BR><BR>Another possibility is to take the RER line A to St Germain en Laye and visit the pleasnt small town, its chateau and gardens.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 10:39 PM
Leslie

Your posting implies you have not been to Monmartre. If that means you have not been to the church on the hill there called Sacre Coeur, then by all means see this, especially late afternoon to watch the sunset over Paris. One of my fondest memories both times I did this!

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 11:29 PM
BTilke

I'm not a big fan of Montmartre; I find it a crowded tourist trap.<BR>There are several museums in the 16th that are worth visiting--especially the newly re-opened Guimet Museum, with its excellent collection of Asian art, and the Marmottan. The Aves. Victor Hugo and Mozart are pleasant for strolling and people watching; the Michel-Agne-Auteuil area has interesting ties to 18th and early 19th century American history. <BR>I'm not hugely interested in military history, but I really enjoyed the new WW II French Resistance section of Les Invalides.<BR>BTilke

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 01:21 AM
StCirq

You could take the RER out to the Ile ders Impressionistes, have lunch at the ginguette where Manet painted " Luncheon of the BoatintgParty," visit the little museum there, get back on the RER and continue to Auvers-sur-Oise and see Van Gogh's grave and visit the museum there. and walk one of the suggested walking tours of the town.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Lori

I second the Musee Marmottan, and then a walk around this very ritzy arrondisement. Also, Pere LeChaise cemetary is quite interesting. And the Viaduc des ARtistes in the 12th is interesting from an architectural aspect.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 07:57 AM
elvira

Several days in Paris:<BR>1) St Cirq's idea is great (on my to-do list this fall)<BR>2) Cemetery tour: Pere Lachaise, Montmartre, Montparnasse, Picpus, Passy, St Vincent<BR>3) Wander through Menilmontant (incorporate with Pere Lachaise) which has a couple of "villas" (sort of walled off neighborhoods) and a robust North African community with several great restaurants and markets.<BR>4) Bois de Vincennes: flowers! ponds! chateau! miniature golf!<BR>5) St Denis<BR>6) Bike ride along the Canal St Martin<BR>7) Architectural walks (1-4 is in English, the rest of the arrondissements in French only, but you get the gist)http://www.parisbalades.com/ <BR>8) All churches, all the time: move past the famous tourist churches, and check out the hidden gems:<BR>http://catholique-paris.cef.fr/paroisses/paroisses.htm<BR>9) Eyes open for "open houses"; artists often open their studios to the public; look for posters or check at City Hall<BR>10) Pick a theme like the Three Musketeers, Hemingway in Paris, murder and mystery - take a prearranged walk or devise your own by researching locations and finding them (I did Americans in Paris, and found where Hemingway lived, where the treaty that ended the American Revolution was signed, where John Paul Jones died, etc).<BR>11) Cooking classes: the ever-popular Ritz or Cordon Bleu; private classes with individual chefs; rumor has it there's a cooking class at Versailles that involves the Kitchen Garden but I can't find details.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Shanna

Try reading "Paris for Free (or Extremely Cheap). Some interesting ideas and unusual places - see the oldest tree in Paris.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 09:51 AM
Ursula

Explore my favourite Paris site at<BR>www.parisavenue.com<BR>You will find a lot of good suggestions. Do discover all the parks (Monceau, Buttes-Chaumont), and small museums like Musée Bourdelle, Musée Zadkine, Fondation Cartier Musée du Vin, Musée Edith Piaf, etc.<BR>Have a stroll through Palais Royal with the modern art inside and have lunch at one the delicious quiet restaurants there. Discover the small streets of Montparnasse where all the famous painters used to work. Discover all the covered galleries such as Galerie Vivienne, Galerie Valois, Galerie Véro-Dodat, etc.<BR>Go to the flower market on Ile-de-la-Cité.<BR>Jump on a public bus and discover Paris this way. <BR>My favourite: Nr. 63 from Jardin des Plantes (East) to la Muette, 16th, (West)going through Blvd. St.-Germain.<BR>Go to the Musée du Monde Arabe -- fantastic architecture by Jean Nouvel --and have lunch at its restaurant on the top.<BR>You will need a whole life to discover Paris. And do walk, walk, walk. This is the only way to really discover. <BR>Have fun!

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 11:03 AM
lisa

On my third trip to Paris which was about a month ago, I finally made it to the Rodin museum. I was glad that I hadn't made it a priority before. It is nice, but not on my list of the top sights in Paris. (I liked the sculpture garden better than the museum itself.) In terms of small museums in Paris, I don't know whether you've been to the Picasso museum, but that is one of my very favorites and I would recommend it much more highly than the Rodin (plus, the Marais is a wonderful neighborhood to wander). Also, if you have not been Montmartre, that is a must.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 12:48 PM
elaine

this article might be of interest<BR><BR>Paris "off the beaten track"<BR>http://www.bparis.com/newsletter1464/<BR>newsletter_show.htm?doc_id=17636<BR>

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Jen

I recomment the Rodin museum too...lovely gardens to walk around. He actually lived in the building that houses the museum when it was artists' studios. Went here on our 3rd trip.<BR><BR>Musee Marmottan is wonderful - don't miss that. Did that on trip 2.<BR><BR>I would also take a Paris Walking Tour (www.pariswalkingtours.com). No advance registration...just look up their schedule, show up at the meeting place, pay 60FF per person, and enjoy. Really enjoyed the Marais tours, and 'Jefferson's Paris'....they provide different points of view, and more depth about your favorite neighborhoods. Tours are in English.<BR><BR>As for Montmarte, skip it. I tried it again on our last trip there, and was disappointed to have wasted the time...but maybe a walking tour of the area would be good?<BR><BR>And if you haven't been, the Picasso museum...

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Lori

Musee Marmottan as many have suggested. Nice pleasant small museum, lovely neighborhood. Chateau Vincennes - take the Metro to the end of the line,it's right there. Just walk around .. any street will do! Sit in the park and people watch - Luxenbourg Gardens great for this. Go to the Eiffel Tower at night and look at the city all lit up. Go to the top of Montparnasse Tower - spectacular view from 59th floor.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 01:57 PM
Capo

I really like the Parc des Buttes-Chaumont, in the 19th.<BR><BR>Here are Michelin's recommendations for "Less traditonal venues" in Paris:<BR><BR>http://www.michelin-travel.com/eng/cdm/134535/ville2a4.htm#2<BR><BR>And here's an article about the Viaduc des Arts, a restored rail viaduct -- a glassed-in, street-level promendade in the Bastille area near the Gare de Lyon -- which has been converted to artists' studios and craft shops. <BR><BR>http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...ry=pucci+paris

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 08:17 PM
Lexma90

Wow! Thank you for all the great responses. I can't pack all the suggestions into the 2 days we have in Paris (at the end of a much-planned week in the Dordogne, with much help from StCir

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 08:19 PM
Lexma90

Oops; my fingers hit a key they shouldn't have. Yes, we enjoyed the Picasso museum and le Marais. By the Rodin museum, I guess I meant the gardens as opposed to the actual museum.<BR><BR>Guess I'll have to go back to Paris again sometime to visit all the places I don't get to this trip...

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Janelle

Second the walking tours --they take a couple of hours and the caliber of information and word pictures is like stepping back in time.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 02:03 PM
Christina

For less well-known museums, I also liked the Jacquemart-Andre and the Maison Hugo (which I had sort of ignored for many years, but found it very interesting), but really liked the Maillol Foundation in the 7th, it is more modern art than in many other places (which I like) but small and not crowded. I also really like the fashion museum next to the Louvre. I have a amateur personal web page on Paris which gives some of my other top suggestions for off-the-beaten-track places and directions to get there which you could look at if you wish, I talk about the Music Museum and day trips to St-Germain-en-Laye and St-Denis, all of which I recommend highly for those who have done the basics. It's at www.virtualtourist.com/ChristinaW (go to Paris section). I really like Montmartre myself and would go there; just be sure to get a good walking tour map (one is in Michelin) and get away from the main tourist square area for some of the time. I really do like the Auteuil quartier in the 16th arr. and you can do a marvelous walking architectural tour in that area because there are so many Art Nouveau buildings, such as the famous Castel Beranger, by Guimard. There used to be a great online site for that walking tour but it is down now, so you'd need a special book for that one, probably.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 03:54 PM
e

Go on the sewer tours. It was a great thing to do plus to the roof of La Samaintaine Department store. <BR><BR> Have Fun.<BR> Ellen

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 03:40 AM
XXXXXX

TOPPER