Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris -- activities that are only available, or best to do, on Saturdays?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Paris for eight days, from Thursday to the following Friday. This means I only have one Saturday in Paris. I am about to book two classes with Cook'n with Class, the cooking school recommended here and elsewhere, but the only availability they have is on Saturday. Before I book, I just want to be sure that I won't be shooting myself in the foot by missing something I could only do or see on Saturday (a market, tour, event, etc.). I should note that this will be April 11th, the day before Easter.

Thanks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:07 AM

I don't know anything special about Easter events, but I can't think of anything unique that happens on Saturdays. Sure, there are some street markets on Saturdays, but I can't think of any of them where that is the only day they occur (and there are many different ones, anyway).
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:29 AM

This isn't a Saturday only thing but Notre Dame offers free (exceptional) tours on Saturdays at 2:30. I've taken their tour twice and loved it. Half of the tour is outside the church where you will get a history of Gothic churches; the other half of the tour takes place inside the church. The tour is supposed to be 1.5 hours but usually last close to 2 hours. Tours are also offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I can think of Sunday-only things or Friday-only things but nothing else that is offered on Saturdays that you can't find the rest of the week.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:35 AM
yk

adrienne - thanks for mentioning the free guided tours at NOtre Dame. I didn't realize they are offered, but now I've bookmarked their website for future reference.

OP - other things I can think of would be a walk?
http://www.paris-walks.com/summer-walks.html
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:59 AM

yk - check at the info booth inside ND as sometimes they slightly change the hours. I've noticed this over the years. I don't think they put the tour info on their web site so the only way to definitely plan is from the posting inside the church. BTW these tours are given by volunteers and any tipping to the guides goes to the church.

<b>Big correction<b> - the tours are Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday, not Tuesdays, as I mentioned above.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:05 AM
yk

I find the tour info here:
http://www.notredamedeparis.fr/Visit...-the-Cathedral

But it's always a good reminder not to believe the info on websites 100%, as venues definitely change tour times or opening times without updating their websites.