Paris activities - reservation needed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our trip to Paris is less than a month away. We will be getting Museum Passes.
What activities should we make a reservation for ahead of time and when?
Here's a quick list.
Seine cruise or Illuminations Tour on a Saturday night
Walking tours with local guides
Versailles tour, maybe with Fat Bikes tours

Also, we are a group of 5. We will be there July 7th - 13th. Will we have a problem getting a nice, delicious, but not overly expensive, dinner without a reservation? Any good recommendations? We are staying in the 11th, but are open to a little travel for a good meal.

Any other activities we might be interested in doing that would require reservations that I may have forgotten.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 07:02 AM

You would probably be more certain if you made dinner reservations. Don't buy any passes before arriving--they will just be more expensive.
You can do a Seine boat ride without reservations--you can print a discount coupon on the internet.
Tours I can't help with--I think they are largely overpriced for what you "get".
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 07:06 AM

Walking tours with companies such as Paris Walks do not take reservations unless it's for special walks. You just show up.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 03:55 PM

At least stop in to the restaurant the day you want to go to see if you can make a reservation for later; go early, if you don't have a reservation!
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 05:34 PM

I think the only thing you need reservations for are dinner. Everything else you should play as it goes.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 06:03 PM

If you plan on going up the Eiffel Tower, you can buy tickets online. You are locked in on a day/time of your choice, but it will save a lot of time to not stand in line.

We use http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/ and buy the tickets online. It saves 5 euro pp, and you can go any day/time you choose. Just show up with the printout at the appropriate window and you are set.

We have done a cooking class, which definitely needs reservations. We used Cookin With Class and very much enjoyed it.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 04:43 AM

The only problem with reservations for outdoor activities like the bike tours is what you do when it rains. Would you enjoy biking in heavy traffic in the rain? I would wait for things like that.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 04:25 AM

You can possibly reserve the bike tour without paying in advance - if so, I would do that. You can cancel in advance if the weather is not cooperating.
The boat cruises are many and often, no need to prebook.
An Illuminations bus tour - you might check on that after you get there for a subsequent evening. You probably have to prepay to reserve that.
Seating 5 could be tricky if you try to walk in during dinner hours - - for places you really care about trying, you should reserve at least a day or two in advance... for wildly popular places, a week or two. Large brasserie type places are a good fallback if you are just looking for somewhere to get seated.