Paris A La Carte Apartment Review

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t post very often, but I did want to post a review of our apartment that we stayed at in Paris from September 22-30 because all of the other apartment reviews I read were so helpful.

http://www.alacarte-paris-apartments...Classical.html

We booked A La Carte Paris’ Left Bank Classical in the 6th. It was a 2 bedroom, 2 shower, 1 wc and we paid $2,600 for 8 nights/9days. I know right away that this was not a ‘cheap’ apartment, but it was everything we were looking for. The company was always very quick to respond and it was always in English (which was very helpful!). I also had a big problem with my credit card and the agency was kind enough to put my reservation on hold for a week until I got it figured out. The only complaint I had is that when we arrived, we had to wait about 20 minutes outside with all of our luggage for the representative to come from the apartment down to the street. The company was also very flexible and allowed us to check in at 11 a.m. when our flight arrived.

The apartment itself was in a phenomenal area and I felt extremely safe. It was also tucked away on a side street so it was quiet during the night (although there was very loud construction during the day). We were just a few minutes walk from the Bon Marche and we loved grabbing muffins from the bakery and eating them on our way to the metro to start the day. There was also a Shopi and Franprix at the end of the road, so all the necessities were very convenient. If you do stay here, there is a great little wine shop with a friendly owner that tolerates a lack of French.

The apartment was clean, well furnished, and pretty spacious for what I was expecting in Paris. I went with my mother, sister, and 10 year old niece and we all fit perfectly. They separated the beds so we all had our own (small) twin bed and each bedroom had it’s own shower. The kitchen was also well stocked and there was a bottle of wine waiting for us when we arrived.

Overall, I just wanted to add to the reviews of Paris apartment and hope that someone would find the review helpful!
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 11:23 PM

HI wyxchic, you are the only other person I've heard of who has used a la carte apartments. Yes, they are expensive, but they are lovely. We stayed in two x 3 bed apartments in 2006 and they were fabulous. Spacious by Parisian standards and oh so comfortable.

I agree that the staff were lovely, to the extent that when I broke a tooth they made an emergency appointment with a dentist for me!

Glad you enjoyed you stay.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 08:35 AM

Thank you for posting your review. Those are lovely apartments. I've had fun just browsing through the website!

Johanna
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 06:12 AM

Hello! To be clear, I am a travel fan but I also work for this agency. Just a quick word to explain why you had to wait outside the apartment: our usual check-in time is 2PM, but we're happy to accomodate you earlier whenever it is possible. If a guest checks-out the day you arrive, you can leave your luggage during cleaning. Sometimes, the apartment is in such a mess that we really can't let our guests in until the housekeeper have worked at least a little bit. This is what happened the day you arrived. I'm sorry you had to wait in the street but trust me, it was best!!!
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

AlacarteParis - I definitely understand waiting outside. In comparison to how fabulous the rest of the experience was, it was not really a big issue. It was just a little uncomfortable sitting on a sidewalk with 8 pieces of luggage looking a little strange =)
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM

We stayed here last Sept. Met our expectations and then some. Great neighborhood, easy to transportation, eat / drink.

http://www.alacarte-paris-apartments...rche-Midi.html
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 03:07 PM

Hey BuckeyeBud, that's where we stayed too. I just re-read my comment and realised that I said 3 bed apartments, when in fact, they are two beds. Fabulous location!!

Our trip was for 4 girls celebrating our 50th birthdays. We sent the husbands to Ireland to play golf while we explored Paris for 10 days. It was a once in a lifetime trip with very special friends.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Thanks for posting this. They are very nice apartments and I think I found a great spot for our week long stay next May. Has anyone stayed in this apartment in the Marais?

http://www.alacarte-paris-apartments...arais-Gem.html
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 11:19 PM

I stayed in the St Louis Secret for 2 weeks.The apartment was so beautiful with immaculate furnishings and every thing you could need to make your holiday more simple. Washing machine,dishwasher etc. The book provided with all the information on the apartment and the area was brilliant things like a phone number for english speaking taxi's were so helpful.
They made my trip so easy and were so helpful with everything I have already passed their names on to friends and cannot wait to return to one of their apartments again.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 12:03 AM

http://www.alacarte-paris-apartments...afe-Flore.html

http://www.vrbo.com/90955
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 01:42 AM

The level of service received from A la Carte Paris far exceeds that of the other two agencies I previously used in Paris. Altogether a delightful experience.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 06:24 AM

Farrermog, I stayed in vrbo90955 in 2010 and thought it was great. I see from your post that it's listed on A La Carte more expensively. Interesting!
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 07:01 AM

A La Carte Paris is an apartment management group, which is not bad, but their offerings are not exclusive, which is why we prefer Paris Perfect.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 04:20 PM

Grandmere - the agency obviously has to make a buck, but given the difference here - the agency's weekly rate starts at €2525 whereas booking directly with the owner is €1900 for the mid Jan/Feb period and €2100 for other times - their service would have to be truly exceptional when the owner of this particular property is apparently so well regarded by those who have dealt directly with her (assuming the reviews listed on VRBO are an accurate representation). Perhaps she is winding down her direct involvement in letting the property. Nevertheless, it pays to check whether a property is listed elsewhere.
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 06:09 AM

I've rented twice from A La Carte. THe first time was heaven, the second time less so. THe second apartment in the Marais (Marais Exclusive) was itself lovely, but the building was fairly down at heel and shabby, which given the rental price was a bit of a shock. In addition, the flat directly below had been rented to a group of US university students on break and there were all-night parties every night I was there. This was NOT A La Carte's fault, and the service I got from them both times was near faultless. When I reported the noise issue after returning home, I got a nice note of apology saying they would look into it. Never heard anything further back from them, though. I would recommend anyone who is not into late night partying avoid the apartments near the heart of Marais. I love staying in apartments when I am travelling, but am fearful of having this experience again. I've grown up in Manhattan and still live here, so I don't think I can be accused of being overly-sensitive to noise.Anyone have any suggestions about how to reduce the chances of finding yourself an unwilling member of a Spring break party when renting a flat overseas?
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 04:57 PM

I cannot recommend A La Carte based on my experience at the Marais Sublime (which I believe is located on the same street as the Marais Exclusive). The day before we arrived we were notified that the lobby/courtyard was under construction. This wasn't a project that was new but a loud, long term construction project. There was also a shop next door that was being demolished during our last few days - jack hammering what felt like through our walls beginning at 7am In addition to these two projects, there were loud parties on many nights located in the building next to ours. It would have been tolerable if we were able to close our windows at night.

However, when we arrived, we were also informed that the air conditioning in the unit was broken. Paris was over 90 degrees every day so keeping the windows closed wasn't an option. After 3 days, a portable unit was brought in. Repairs were supposedly made to the a/c after 4 days in the apartment. But, when we arrived back in the apartment there was water pouring from the lights in the ceiling not only in our bathroom but the bookshop below us. The fire department was even called. After additional repairs were supposedly made, we used the a/c again only to flood the book shop below us again. Not the impression you want to make with the neighbors.

Needless to say, I don't think I received the service and stay I expected based on the price I paid.